Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2023, 01:27 PM

Pacific Coast Bike Race. Who's done it?

https://www.getsomecycling.org/

Looks intriguing. Timing won't work out for the 750 this year and I think the 1500 might be a bit much for me, but looking at doing the 750 next year.

Has anyone done it? How was the experience? Seems pretty loosely organized and DIY. The fact that you can't make campsite or hotel reservations in advance seems a little bizarre.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:50 AM

I couldn't even handle our 200 mile ride, I think I'd die doing this ;;
Old 01-25-2023, 12:40 PM

Only one way to find out!
Old 01-25-2023, 12:45 PM

Is this the race upcountry did?
Old 02-17-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssb94 View Post
https://www.getsomecycling.org/

Looks intriguing. Timing won't work out for the 750 this year and I think the 1500 might be a bit much for me, but looking at doing the 750 next year.

Has anyone done it? How was the experience? Seems pretty loosely organized and DIY. The fact that you can't make campsite or hotel reservations in advance seems a little bizarre.
The race is beyond epic! The race directors are continuously interacting with the FB group portal. https://www.facebook.com/groups/3864583083667306/

There are 2 races 1500 and 750. The reason for no prior hotel reservations is that it is a self supported race which requires each rider to take care of themselves from start to finish. Every part has to be equal opportunity. So if someone signs up early and books hotels and then a last minute register racer signs up and tries to book hotel and there is no vacancies that would indicate a favoritism to the early registered. These practices are very common amongst the ultra distance racers. Join the group and check out the action. There are great prizes and awards. Pre race meeting carbo load and greet and meet. Adventure cycling association showed up to the 2022 start and did a photo session. Many of the racers are returning and have signed up for the 2023 events already. There are sponsored discounts on lights, saddles, and more.

Last edited by adventurer; 02-17-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
Is this the race upcountry did?
Correct...

See here for some insights:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ight=upcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssb94 View Post
Has anyone done it? How was the experience? Seems pretty loosely organized and DIY.
You're not wrong... Without getting too deep into it, I have my opinions, and critiques. I'm assuming that ^adventurer is involved in the organization of the event, and that they don't declare that is telling, and doesn't require that I say more.

There is a definite lack of road based ultra races in the US, so I appreciate the efforts, but are some shortcomings, and lack of acceptance of input that takes away from the event. The route is copy and pasted from Adventure Cycling's established route. With that, some of the scenery is pretty rad, especially if you're not local to the West Coast or California specifically. I've gone back and forth on whether or not I wan't to participate in the 750 this year, and will play it by ear. I really do think that distance would suit me, and given that I've now ridden the route, would be extremely helpful. Unfortunately, my hesitations come exclusively due to the organizers, and whether I want to support them/it(financially, and otherwise).
Old 02-17-2023, 11:49 AM

Edit: took too long to find the thread and the Upcountry himself replied
Old 02-20-2023, 08:06 PM

Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
Correct...

See here for some insights:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ight=upcountry

You're not wrong... Without getting too deep into it, I have my opinions, and critiques. I'm assuming that ^adventurer is involved in the organization of the event, and that they don't declare that is telling, and doesn't require that I say more.

There is a definite lack of road based ultra races in the US, so I appreciate the efforts, but are some shortcomings, and lack of acceptance of input that takes away from the event. The route is copy and pasted from Adventure Cycling's established route. With that, some of the scenery is pretty rad, especially if you're not local to the West Coast or California specifically. I've gone back and forth on whether or not I wan't to participate in the 750 this year, and will play it by ear. I really do think that distance would suit me, and given that I've now ridden the route, would be extremely helpful. Unfortunately, my hesitations come exclusively due to the organizers, and whether I want to support them/it(financially, and otherwise).
sorry to disappoint you - we enjoyed your presence in the 2022 inaugural race

Last edited by adventurer; 02-20-2023 at 08:14 PM. Reason: change of mind
Old 02-21-2023, 05:45 PM

Well that answers that...

If anything demonstrates my concerns, its the fact that the above person(organizer) removed me from the Facebook groups as of last night... I didn't even verbalize my criticisms, simply stated that I had some, and rather than reaching out and asking for my constructive input or at least make an attempt to learn what they could do better from a participants standpoint.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:02 PM

I’m siding with the organizer here, seems like you’re looking for conflict more than a resolution or improvement to the problems you had.

Sometimes the best thing for each side is to part ways. I’ve fired my share of problem customers over the years and it’s always an improvement for us, and them.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:36 PM

I'll take a look at the FB page and keep it on my radar for next year

Tags
california, endurance road, race