Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2023, 12:57 PM

Opinions on rim brake bikes?

Are rim brake bikes that out of the norm now? I've been trying to sell a 2020 Lynskey r300 with a mix of upper grade components. Bike has less than 700 miles and is in perfect condition with an uncut steerer so the buyer can set up how they like. Its a medium or basically a 54cm no crazy size. Truth be told, I bought a disc brake domane gen 3 and just trying to recoup some money. Plenty of tire kickers but no buyer since it went for sale in Jan 23. Thoughts?
Old 06-08-2023, 12:59 PM

You have two things going on here, imo.

1) Yes, rim brake bikes are generally out of fashion. (I think that will change at some point). (Heck, you bought a disc bike...)

2) The market is flooded.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:02 PM

unless your price is too high, i dont get why no one bought it yet. If it were an XL, id buy it!
Old 06-08-2023, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post

1) Yes, rim brake bikes are generally out of fashion. (I think that will change at some point). (Heck, you bought a disc bike...)

The lynskey was a end of covid project to keep busy and I didn't think it would be that hard to sell the bike. That is the reason I didn't cut the steerer tube.Supply issues prevented me from getting the domane right off the bat.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:06 PM

I'm sure there's a price that bike would sell for. Without knowing details on the components, I'd guess you could get about $1200 for it. How much are you asking?
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post

3) Lynskey, although they do make excellent frames are just not that desirable on the used market for a couple of reasons

3a) Brand recognition, for better or worse, it's not a moots, firefly, etc
3b) They are always on sale, so the true value of one is lower than expected
3c) Lynskey has an excellent lifetime warranty, which is part of the value proposition for buying one new, but the 2nd owner does not get that value

Pricing may be off compared with the competition. Low mileage is nice, but there are lots of three year old bikes out there that are pretty much like new. As mentioned, supply of used bikes at this time far outweighs demand. Most casual buyers out there know Trek and Specialized but may never have heard of Lynskey.

When market pressures work against you, embiggen the size of your market. Hence…eBay, which is the worlds largest marketplace and therefore contains the highest percentage of potential/likely purchasers. Yes, there are drawbacks, but you might want to consider value of the hassle of eBay and reduce your local selling price accordingly.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:07 PM

At least from what I’ve seen, it’s difficult to sell any bike. Slightly more difficult if it’s rim brake, but it’s a soft market.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
unless your price is too high, i dont get why no one bought it yet. If it were an XL, id buy it!
I'm asking 2000 or 2300 shipped. The component list is a mixture but 11sp sram red shifters, fr & rear d, carbon sesatpost, handlebar so it is not lower tier. Its listed on multiple sites, pinkbike, facebook marketplace, ebay.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:13 PM

I have a rim brake Domane, so I'd say I'm not that biased against them FWIW.

I'd probably rather have a bike like the Lynskey at this point.

Your Lynskey will still be a good bike after the Domane has something wrong with it and/or you can't get a proprietary part for it.

Considering how porky disc Domanes are which bike seems faster if they both fit OK?

Rim brakes are definitely out of style right now but IMO that definitely doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them and I think for road bikes of this type the rim brake bike can definitely be faster with less maintenance and less ongoing cost.

Definitely it's also just that it's hard to sell a bike and all bikes have poor resale value. "Revolutionary" changes every model year or two doesn't help.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrj View Post
I'm asking 2000 or 2300 shipped. The component list is a mixture but 11sp sram red shifters, fr & rear d, carbon sesatpost, handlebar so it is not lower tier. Its listed on multiple sites, pinkbike, facebook marketplace, ebay.
Oh, I think I found the listing... you've got to part that bad boy out.

The Sram red etap mini-group can probably get you $900 easy.

Then you could probably get another $800 for the frame.

Wheels are a little weird, but you could probably get $150.

And the a few hundred more for all the other bits.

You can get your money, but the same buyer isn't going to want all of these pieces in this combination. 100% gotta part it out.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Oh, I think I found the listing... you've got to part that bad boy out.

The Sram red etap mini-group can probably get you $900 easy.

Then you could probably get another $800 for the frame.

Wheels are a little weird, but you could probably get $150.

And the a few hundred more for all the other bits.

You can get your money, but the same buyer isn't going to want all of these pieces in this combination. 100% gotta part it out.
I know the parts list is a little different, but with the supply issues at the time that is how it worked out. I have been thinking about parting out but will hold out hope someone will buy at least until the end of July. Thanks for the advise.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:31 PM

The response below is spot on. I’ve sold over 100 used titanium bikes over last few years and Lynskey were the toughest to move. Most were very nice bikes, just could never sell for near what a similar model from Serotta, Seven, Litespeed (yes I said that, Moots etc would get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
3) Lynskey, although they do make excellent frames are just not that desirable on the used market for a couple of reasons

3a) Brand recognition, for better or worse, it's not a moots, firefly, etc
3b) They are always on sale, so the true value of one is lower than expected
3c) Lynskey has an excellent lifetime warranty, which is part of the value proposition for buying one new, but the 2nd owner does not get that value
Old 06-08-2023, 01:46 PM

Sellers market duing covid. Now that (temporary) demand has been satisfied, it's a buyer's market. Plus, you aren't selling the latest & greatest that the unwashed masses desire. Which is all another way of saying, it's the price.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
The response below is spot on. I’ve sold over 100 used titanium bikes over last few years and Lynskey were the toughest to move. Most were very nice bikes, just could never sell for near what a similar model from Serotta, Seven, Litespeed (yes I said that, Moots etc would get.
On a percentage basis, I'm not sure Lynskey is any worse than a Moots. A new Lynskey gravel frameset is on the order of about $1250. A new Moots gravel frameset is on the order of about $5000--about 4x as much.

A used Lynskey gravel frameset will probably sell for $800 to 900--roughly 2/3 to 3/4 of what it was new.

A used Moots gravel frameset will probably sell for $3200 to $3800--roughly 2/3 to 3/4 of what it was new.

The prices are lower for a Lynskey--new and used, but in percentage terms they seem to depreciate similarly, and in absolute terms, the Moots will depreciate a lot more.