Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2023, 11:17 AM

Aluminum Race Bikes in 2023?

Hi there,

I'm currently riding a CAAD12 disc and love it (as my username may suggest). The bike was actually my first performance road bike that I bought. I intended for it to be a dedicated road race machine. Over time, it's become a bit less of a race machine, though I still do find myself enjoying the snappy handling, and the idea that the bike is stiff, aggressive, and race-oriented, even if i'm not fit enough to reap all those benefits. I also just like the idea of a metal bike. This got me to thinking: what companies or builders produce (relatively) race-oriented aluminum road race frames with disc brakes? The CAAD13 is a little bit muted for my taste. I know there's the Allez Sprint, Vynl RD disc, Standert Kreissage and the Low Road Disc, but those seem to be all I can find. Truth be told, I probably would be better off on an endurance bike, or something in the middle like a CAAD13, but does anybody know of any other race-oriented alloy steeds in production, preferably with a classic silhouette (i.e. no dropped stays)?

P.S. though i've been a bit of a lurker for about a year, this is my first post. I scanned the forum rules and don't I'm transgressing any of the guidelines but please let me know if I am!

Last edited by AndersCAAD; 05-09-2023 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:26 AM

Trek makes the Emonda ALR which is 100% aimed at the type of bike you are asking about, seems to come in rather fun colors as well. and even available with rim brakes.

Then there is Standert that also makes nice racy aluminum frames.

Both the Trek and Standert have traditional looks without the dropped seatstayes.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:32 AM

"this is my first post"

is it?
Old 05-09-2023, 11:34 AM

If you'd be more comfortable on an endurance frame, you could check out the alloy Canyon Endurace frames, they look like a super value.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
"this is my first post"

is it?

It's my first time starting a thread. Not sure if post is the correct terminology.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersCAAD View Post
It's my first time starting a thread. Not sure if post is the correct terminology.
ah, i was confused, my bad
Old 05-09-2023, 12:04 PM

I had an older rim brake Emonda ALR. Very comfy geometry wise (decent stack!) Snappy enough,etc. Ended up just getting an older steel bike cause in a 50cm the compactness and swoopy angles just bothered me esthetically.
Old 05-09-2023, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the info all. I'll check out the Emonda ALR, sounds promising!
Old 05-09-2023, 04:28 PM

If you're willing to hunt the used market, it's going to be hard to do better than a CAAD10.
Old 05-09-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
The new ones look dope as hell.
Old 05-09-2023, 05:25 PM

Quote:
The White frames are selling very fast and look amazing.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:57 PM

I had a rim brake Emonda ALR and thought it rode nicer than most entry to mid level carbon frames, at a fraction of the cost. The new one looks amazing, the H1.5 fit would be great for a race bike.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:24 AM

I don’t really follow new bike models but will chime in to support the idea of aluminum frame for racing. In my short and undistinguished racing career about 15 years ago I used an aluminum Wilier Alpe D’Huez as I wasn’t excited about crashing my CF Colnago. I still have it and wouldn’t hesitate to race it again.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:26 AM

Another one from the big names is the BMC Teammachine ALR (although doesn't fit the traditional profile as it has dropped stays).

If looking for something a bit more bespoke, I've been extremely happy with my PR21 from The Poggio. It replaced the newest version of the Allez Sprint in my stable, and I've also had a VYNL and Low in the past few years, which were also very good (last I checked Low isn't currently taking orders).

A bit more $$ than the ready-made frames from the large manufacturers, but you get fully customized geo and paint, turnaround in about 6 weeks.
Old 05-10-2023, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the thoughtful responses everyone! That new Emonda ALR looks pretty sweet. I have to say, I'm pretty pleasantly surprised by it, and I'm not usually a trek guy. I actaully nearly bought an ~2017 Emonda ALR instead of my CAAD. Also that Poggio looks really cool!

Tags
aluminum, frames, road bike