Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Well, I love King cages too, but no reason to besmirch Nitto. Those “R” cages are a work of art.
'Worth' is a big word but those Nitto aren't 'worth' it to me..besides, many(not you) seem it's fine to 'besmirch' Silca even before the cages exist in the wild..
Old 04-21-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I don't know why people get so bent out of shape... if you want to continue to support King Cage then buy their stuff.

I actually prefer the King cage steel stuff over the TI, the ti ones are too thick and ugly on most bikes (unless big tubbed TI, imo) and WAY too expensive.

The silca ones look nice, they look more polished but they will probably be even more expensive. Its good to have options. Remember, just support what you like...
Yes. I have the steel King cages and it´s good stuff to use and look at..
Old 04-21-2018, 12:45 PM

There are other companies making Ti cages and it didn't affect King Cage. there is that similar blackburn ti cage, and King Cages still sell and are in very high demand. I think Ron just keeps making his product and people appreciate the quality of the work and also the character of the man. When I buy a King Cage I like that part of the price is based on the man himself. Worth every penny.

on the other hand,

The worst cycling product I ever purchased is a Silca super pista pump. Every part of it broke or fell apart. Cheap plastic parts with even worse screws. I probably got a lemon. I've replaced almost all parts of it with SKS rennkompressor hose and head unit, etc. Now it works great but it is only 50% Silca. Based on my experience with this pump I will not spend money on silca stuff.
my 2c
Old 04-21-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
If you went to NAHBS and the King booth, and watched the terrific demonstration of bending and building a cage..... well, that was a treat. And instructive.

I really like a lot of Silca products, but they can’t be expected to triumph on all fronts. There are King cages on my Ti bikes, and they are terrific. Maybe there is enough room in the market for a few really good vendors, though. My ti cages are happily King, nonetheless. But Silca can inflate my tires very nicely.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:41 AM
v a n i l l a

I put my hands on the cage today.

The finish work is superior to the king due to the laser welding and bending. the holes for the cage bolts are elongated so the cage has more mounting options. No idea how the bottle grab feels since the cage was not mounted.

Its a beautiful prototype. Unless the price is wildly higher than King, I think the King is dead.

Last edited by pdmtong; 04-22-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post

The finish work is superior to the king due to the laser welding and bending. the holes for the cage bolts are elongated so the cage has more mounting options. No idea how the bottle grab feels since the cage was not mounted.

Speedvagen and Firefly are already moving from King and towards Silca.

Its a beautiful prototype. Unless the price is wildly higher than King, I think the King is dead.
Do SV and FF only allow totally-gnat's ass-complete builds now, including bottle cages, or is that just at one shop? Weird if so.

Even if SV and FF do spec 2 Silca cages on every one of their produced bicycles this year, what is that total...circa 450 cages? I don't think King would be too afraid of that, especially if the Silcas are priced higher on the open market.

If that SV/FF deal is true, I would not buy Silca cages simply to avoid the snob factor. I doubt that I would be the only one, and I really doubt that my bottles would feel too plebeian while being held in the comforting arms of King, Arundel, Elite, etc.

Last edited by cadence90; 04-22-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:58 AM

I don’t know about Speedvagen, but Firefly doesn’t require anyone to buy any parts beyond the frameset. I think what pdmtong is referring to is the option to have ti waterbottle cages anodized to match the anodizing of a frame. Not unlike Moots offering bead-blasted King cages to match their frame finish. It’s simply an extra detail that some buyers/owners go for. [Edit: And as Tyler mentions below, Firefly is in fact not replacing King cages with Silca, but merely offering them as an option if a customer wants them.]

I think the slotted mounting holes are a great idea—obviously Silca isn’t the first to do it, but it’s a nice touch and shows the engineering approach that Silca (Josh) takes towards everything it produces.

Last edited by happycampyer; 04-22-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:23 AM
Framebuilder

Quote:

Speedvagen and Firefly are already moving from King and towards Silca.

We are NOT moving to Silca as our cage of choice. Silca ti cages may show up on a couple of builds if the customer prefers, but our go-to is Titanium King Cages, for many reasons. Not dissing Silca at all. Their cages SEEM to be great and might be, but King Cages ARE great.

Last edited by Tyler Evans; 04-22-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:33 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Evans View Post
We are NOT moving to Silca as our cage of choice. Silca ti cages may show up on a couple of builds if the customer prefers, but our go-to is Titanium King Cages, for many reasons.
That takes care of that.

King is not deal by any means.
Silca products are fine but definately not the be all end all.

They remind me in sorts of Rapha.
Silca is nit the same company it was many many years ago.
Rapha is not the same as it was many many years ago because they didnt exist. But that want you to think so.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
They remind me in sorts of Rapha.
Silca is nit the same company it was many many years ago.
Rapha is not the same as it was many many years ago because they didnt exist. But that want you to think so.
Oh good lord. Just stop with pointless rapha bashing.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:37 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Oh good lord. Just stop with pointless rapha bashing.
I think that is my first Rapha bash ever. Not sHram, they are fun to bash.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
I think that is my first Rapha bash ever. Not sHram, they are fun to bash.
Sorry, not you in particular, just the general sentiment amongst some and proclivity for bashing Rapha with no real basis.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Sorry, not you in particular, just the general sentiment amongst some and proclivity for bashing Rapha with no real basis.
Same goes for SRAM. And any other product that is the object of derision because it's not Campagnolo.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:01 AM

You know what would be nice, a ti cage with a slot, and a hole at the bottom of the slot large enough that coupled/travel bikes could loosen the two screws half a turn, and slide the cages off instead of having to unscrew the entire bolts to get the cages off.. but that is just me being lazy.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:08 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
You know what would be nice, a ti cage with a slot, and a hole at the bottom of the slot large enough that coupled/travel bikes could loosen the two screws half a turn, and slide the cages off instead of having to unscrew the entire bolts to get the cages off.. but that is just me being lazy.
Dremel?