Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2024, 01:13 PM

Trike for elderly recommendation

My mom recently had stroke and recovery going very well. She loves to bike. PT told her no more biking so she’s really bummed out. So looking for trike that can be used instead.
- Easy to get on/off
- Upright and comfortable
- coaster brake
- lightweight (she’s going to have to push it on/out of garage)
- Simple to operate. Heavily Leaning towards single speed
- prefer inexpensive/used

Any tips?
Old 08-21-2024, 05:04 PM

Sorry to hear about mom's stroke. My mom had a stroke and the trike was transformative for her since she could no longer drive. I forgot what brand we bought, a quick google search couldnt find it. Good luck
Old 08-21-2024, 05:06 PM

Sun Adult Trike

Still appears available, probably unchanged from when my shop sold these in the 90's:

Sun Adult Trike

For the coaster brake - I think that's an add-on.

Last edited by Radius PNW; 08-21-2024 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 05:42 PM

Thanks! My mom’s eyes lit up when she saw the electric trike! She can’t drive either and she thinks she can use the electric one to go on main roads by her you may have unleashed a monster….
Old 08-21-2024, 05:53 PM

we sell the Sun trike at the shop. the 24" wheels are a nice size for this application. better handling and balance. they are not light and a bit cumbersome size-wise but definitely seem like the best option; stock is single speed and a front hand brake. The whole double chain drivetrain makes a coaster brake a little complicated and you wouldn't want just one rear wheel braking and speeds are not that high with the usual riders so front brake usually sufficient. Don't even think about a mail order special and remember that part of the price is putting the beast together. Not as easy as it looks and that's with the better brands like Sun. The crap brands should be avoided at all costs.

edit: Sun is unique for their tractor seat. Must change struts for significant change in seat height but almost everyone loves that big tractor seat.
Old 08-21-2024, 07:51 PM

Adult upright trikes are all heavy unfortunately. It’s been a long time since anyone made a nice one. The sun trikes are okay but they are pretty crude and super heavy (50 pounds).

It would be nice if they made an aluminum one with sone lighter weight parts. Maybe someone does?

Sorry , this probably isn’t helpful
Old 08-21-2024, 10:48 PM
Vendor

The Sun single speed trike and its electric version are nice. They are not light. They are not easy to transport. But we've sold plenty of them and have never had any issues with the bikes themselves; they are simple good bikes.
Also, ask the PT about regular bike with training wheels. Those are less stable, but maybe your mom can handle it. Such a bike will typically be lighter and more nimble, not to mention muuuuch easier to transport.

Last edited by Baron Blubba; 08-21-2024 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Adult upright trikes are all heavy unfortunately. It’s been a long time since anyone made a nice one. The sun trikes are okay but they are pretty crude and super heavy (50 pounds).

It would be nice if they made an aluminum one with sone lighter weight parts. Maybe someone does?

Sorry , this probably isn’t helpful
This is true. We sell them at the shop I help out at.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2024, 09:19 AM

Ive had a few Torker multispeed trikes. decent product but every trike ive ridden feels like its gonna tip over when turning. it doesnt but feels like it
Old 08-22-2024, 10:36 AM

86 year old neighbor rides a beautiful quad. Some nice stuff out there if you want to spend few $$ on her.

In New England area, suggest chatting with Bike-on.com in Rhode Island, they customize in adaptive cycling