Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 03:16 PM

Dual Sided Power Meter Question

I've tried digging around the innerwebs but cannot easily find an answer to my question: If I have a dual sideds himano crank arm power meter setup on my roadie, can I swap left arms with my gravel bike and effectively have a (now single sided) power meter on each bike?

Another way to ask it could be...are each power meter crank arm running independent of each other? I.e. no master/slave config?

Thanks
CJB
Old 03-07-2024, 03:37 PM

You would have to look at the Shimano documentation.

But if they are ANT+ or Bluetooth LE it would be extremely weird for the 2 sensors to talk to each other independent of the head unit.

So it probably does work the way you think.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:47 PM

No idea about Shimano, but you can do this with Stages...
https://manuals.stagescycling.com/en...-power-meters/

When paired, one side acts as the primary and broadcasts the ANT signal to the head unit.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:26 PM

I did this with my 4iiii set.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:49 PM

Do I understand that you bought a dual sided PM and split it between two bikes? And it works on both?
Old 03-07-2024, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
If I have a dual sideds himano crank arm power meter setup on my roadie, can I swap left arms with my gravel bike and effectively have a (now single sided) power meter on each bike?
If it's the Shimano power meter, no. If it's a Stages, yes.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Do I understand that you bought a dual sided PM and split it between two bikes? And it works on both?
Yes.

Sounds like this works with both 4iiii and Stages but maybe not Shimano.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:47 AM

I believe Shimano the DA9200 one I had the left arm cable plugged into the right crank arm spindle or vice versa. This was a factory Shimano PM though.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:53 AM

From my understanding the Shimano power meter is just a random number generator anyway, don't know why you would want to extend this "feature" to 2 bikes.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:10 AM

With my PowerTap Pedals, the right pedal transmits to the left pedal, and left pedal to head unit. The right pedal died, but left still functional and used as single sided on my wife's bike. With respect to your question and cranks, you'd have to find out the signal transmission protocol. Both cranks to head unit independently, or relay like the PowerTap pedals?
Old 03-08-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
With my PowerTap Pedals, the right pedal transmits to the left pedal, and left pedal to head unit. The right pedal died, but left still functional and used as single sided on my wife's bike. With respect to your question and cranks, you'd have to find out the signal transmission protocol. Both cranks to head unit independently, or relay like the PowerTap pedals?
To my knowledge, no dual PM transmits both sides to the HU - they always pair with one primary (receiving from secondary and broadcasting to head unit) and one secondary (broadcasting to primary). I've never heard of a head unit taking two PM signals and adding them together for a single display.

Stages and 4iii allow that pairing to be split, so you end up with two one-sided PMs. Shimano probably does not.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
To my knowledge, no dual PM transmits both sides to the HU - they always pair with one primary (receiving from secondary and broadcasting to head unit) and one secondary (broadcasting to primary). I've never heard of a head unit taking two PM signals and adding them together for a single display.

Stages and 4iii allow that pairing to be split, so you end up with two one-sided PMs. Shimano probably does not.
I agree, the question was rhetorical. Given Shimano's history with PMs in general, single sided is a challenge for them, much less splitting signals.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:26 PM

Thank you all for the answers. My power meter(s) are Stages but they are attched to Shimano crank arms. I think the way I worded my post created confusion.

Looks like I pretty much have the info I need...and yes it seems it will work the way I had hoped.

Cheers,
CJB