Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2015, 05:01 PM

Another Broken Spoke / Wheelbuilding Equipment Advice

It's now the second time since I purchased these set of Enve 3.4 / Powertap wheels that I've sheared off a spoke at the nipple (see below). First time around I brought these in to Justin Spinelli (super nice guy, builds a great wheel--I have HED Belgium/King wheels that are great). I figured I should really have a professional's eyes take a look at the entire wheel since it's hard to know whether the army of builders at Powertap are building up to the same level of quality. In any case, Justin confirmed that he had to do quite a bit of remedial work on the rear and that was that.

I am fairly sensitive to road feel and my stiff Cannondale (non-evo) means I feel very small differences in the wheels, tire width, inflation, etc. Last week, I felt what I perceived to be a slight lacking in stiffness on the Enves so I took my park tool meter and looked at the spoke tension. The tension was lower than I expected and lower than the HED/King wheels (I didn't convert the tension, just went off the number on the wheel). The wheels were very true so I didn't think too much of it and Justin had mentioned that the 3.4s are very stiff rims since they were serviced back in October 2014 I thought they were ok. Less than one week later today on my ride, and a 30$ uber trip of shame home, I sheared another wheel.

I have been toying with the idea for some time of getting wheelbuilding equipment mostly to maintain/true my own equipment, but potentially build something up as a project, or if I ever get into anything with discs I would build it myself. This is making me think I'll finally make the plunge (that and me pushing off a cross bike purchase until next year... unless I find a great used deal!). I've done some truing work myself with the gauge by keeping the wheel on the frame and taping a pencil into place to guide me. This works fine for minor things, but I am far to precise (read anal) to rely on that and plan to make the plunge into a truing stand, dishing tool, and internal nipple driver.

I'm wondering if anyone who has made the jump I plan to, or if knowledgeable in the field has any thoughts comments on the following (or any advice generally):

1. Is the the Park TS 2.2 a good long term buy (I would want the option to maybe get the pressure gauges in the future)?

2. Any comments/thoughts/alternatives on Park's dishing tool WAG-4?

3. I assume any 3.2mm square internal nipple spoke wrench will do so long as it can reach, so will probably go Park just to match...

4. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to by one-off spokes/nipples and wheelbuilding equipment generally. Seems to be a big upcharge many places for the non-shop/non-builder such as myself.

5. On the off chance, does anyone happen to know the spoke length for DT Aerolite spoke of a non-drive side, 2-cross 3.4 powertap g3 rear wheel? I can figure this one out, but thought it would be worth asking.

I have to shop around, but if anyone has any recommendations on where to purchase let me know.

Thanks in advance-Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (73.5 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (24.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwess1234 View Post
2. Any comments/thoughts/alternatives on Park's dishing tool WAG-4?
i prefer to use park's centering gauge so that you can validate the dish of your truing stand; thus build your wheels dished properly from the get-go.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:54 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
i prefer to use park's centering gauge so that you can validate the dish of your truing stand; thus build your wheels dished properly from the get-go.

I wouldn't rely on that as gospel. A dish gauge is a must have for proper wheel building. I have one of those and never use it.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:00 PM
ergottWheels

Use 272mm spoke.

I use the WAG-4

The TS-2 is nice, but might be overkill for a hobbiest. Depends on your cashflow. If cost isn't an issue the by all means.

I LOVE the tool that Enve sells for their nipples. It's just so nice and way better than the Park.

Contact www.bikehubstore.com for spokes. Sapim CX-Ray is the same thing.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:24 AM

Enve has published recommended spoke lengths and tensions in the support section of their website.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:49 AM

I had one of the old Park dishing tools, the ones that fit over the axle ends and you could flip to check dish individually on each side....after the wheel was half tensioned. What a mess. And what an incredible improvement with the self-dishing Park stand.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:58 AM
aka RAEKWON

The ts 2.2 is great. I was going to get a cheapo stand before I built my first wheel but at the last second decided on the park, it's been made for so long and there are no bad reviews about it. If you going to keep it for a while it pays for itself.

The wag 4 is what I use too and it does its job just fine.

I buy all my spokes and nipples from bikehubstore.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:24 AM

Thanks to all for all your help and recommendations! Especially for some of the professional advice (@ergott, and others I might not be familiar with).

I ended up going with the Park TS-2.2 (matching in blue), WAG-4, and Park internal nipple tool (didn't want to pay the premium or have to place a third order).

I ordered the spokes (right length!) and nipples from prowheelbuilder before I saw the other recommendations. Decent price and better than some other options out there. Went with the CX-Rays since I knew they were practically identical and I've had such a good experience with them on the wheels Justin built up for me.

Now to research ideal spoke tensions and properly execute the repair and truing. Will keep everyone updated and really thank you again everyone!

Tags
enve, tools, wheelbuilding