Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2019, 12:41 PM

Bont shoe input desired

I have large wide feet currently wearing a 50 Wide Lake, good fit forward of the arch, but simply much too roomy in the heel. I've gotten the go ahead to buy a pair of Bonts (if they prove worthy) as a last gasp before going custom (which would be a couple years away at best due to the cost).

Any feedback (positive or negative) and/or recommendations are appreciated before I plunk down $400. I'm looking at the Vaypor G for recessed cleat compatibility and dual BOAs.

Some details:

- Measured my feet this weekend and the online Bont fit calculator says 50 Wide, even bumping the numbers up 1-2mm or so has me firmly at a 50 Wide (50 is the largest Bont offers stock). Is the online calculator reliable?

- I've read that with zero give and poor ventilation Bonts are not great in hot climates or on (older) riders whose feet expand as they ride.

- Many here appear to have tried Bonts, but only a bit of feedback exists. There have been quite a few for sale in the classifieds (bad sign?).

- Online consensus appears to be when they fit they are the best, but they don't always fit and the heat moldability can only make minor adjustments. Quality also appears to be merely OK.

- Should I purchase from Bont's online store? I've tried multiple times to try/buy locally (or even semi-locally, SF, East Bay) and no shop that sells them was even remotely interested in ordering a 50 Wide for me to try even after I committed to buy if they fit.

Very few options for me, Lake and Bont appear to be it short of customs.

Thanks all!
Old 06-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Administrator

i tried a pair of bonts a while ago.

i echo your assumptions:

they were not for me. they didnt fit the shape of my foot well, and despite every trick i could come up with, the heat molding process did absolutely nothing to alter the footbed, as far as i could tell. perhaps if they fit my feet well outright, some minor tweak could have come from heat molding, but this was not perceivable to me.

i would definitely buy from somewhere with a good return policy if you are going new. i think the advice is try them on, and if they dont feel good out of the box, dont expect them to get any better with the heat molding process.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:04 PM

I use Vaypor S and Sidi Wire 2 ( and Drako 2, which is offroad version). Both in 43. Heal is definitely narrower in the Bont. If you search, I've put more detailed reviews on here. Yes, the current size chart is accurate.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:12 PM

I'm curious too..

And if you want some regular width top-model Lakes in size 50, let me know - brand new, just too long for me..

I'm in size 49 Giro shows right now - closest I've found to fitting, but they still give me problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
... i would definitely buy from somewhere with a good return policy if you are going new. i think the advice is try them on, and if they dont feel good out of the box, dont expect them to get any better with the heat molding process.
This is the thing I've heard time and time again. I've wanted to try a pair of Bonts going on 8 years now, but both local North Bay shops blew me off big time.

Maybe John H will chime in, I know he's worn Bonts, recently sold a pair of Vaypor Gs and might be able to work some magic with one of the shops that blew me off (in San Anselmo).
Old 06-10-2019, 01:28 PM

Bont

They are my favorite shoes and I only sold the shoes that I sold here because I replaced them with newer Bonts in different colors.

They are very supportive. This either works great for you or it doesn't. Not at all like slipper type shoes.
Also- They fit pretty well out of the box or they don't. Heat molding can help a little, but not a lot.
Insoles are thin and not supportive- I use my own custom insoles in my Bonts.

I have both the Helix and the Vapor (both Vapor G and Vapor S).
I think the Helix has a slightly larger toe box- But the single Boa does not customize the fit as much as the double Boa does-

One thing that I like about the Bont shoes is that the mtb/gravel shoe uses the same sole and upper as the road shoe. So same fit and same stiffness.

I have been on Bont shoes for almost 3 years now. They were a savior for me. I had been through a series of foot surgeries on both feet and could barely pedal a bike.
It must be the support and stiff platform, but something about them allowed me to pedal pain free and finally allowed my feet to fully heal.

Nowadays I occasionally look at other brands new and sexy shoes- then I have to remind myself "the Bonts really work for you".

Here is my newest addition- Vapor G-Custom painted.
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByBcSfoFl8S/
Old 06-10-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
They are my favorite shoes and I only sold the shoes that I sold here because I replaced them with newer Bonts in different colors.

They are very supportive. This either works great for you or it doesn't. Not at all like slipper type shoes.
Also- They fit pretty well out of the box or they don't. Heat molding can help a little, but not a lot.
Insoles are thin and not supportive- I use my own custom insoles in my Bonts.

I have both the Helix and the Vapor (both Vapor G and Vapor S).
I think the Helix has a slightly larger toe box- But the single Boa does not customize the fit as much as the double Boa does-

One thing that I like about the Bont shoes is that the mtb/gravel shoe uses the same sole and upper as the road shoe. So same fit and same stiffness.

I have been on Bont shoes for almost 3 years now. They were a savior for me. I had been through a series of foot surgeries on both feet and could barely pedal a bike.
It must be the support and stiff platform, but something about them allowed me to pedal pain free and finally allowed my feet to fully heal.

Nowadays I occasionally look at other brands new and sexy shoes- then I have to remind myself "the Bonts really work for you".

Here is my newest addition- Vapor G-Custom painted.
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByBcSfoFl8S/
Thanks John,

Any ins at WA in San Anselmo? I think still the only shop in the North Bay that deals in Bonts (at least they were last I tried to try on a pair). Where do you get yours if you don't mind my asking?
Old 06-10-2019, 01:49 PM

Wa

PM Sent- I may have a solution for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Thanks John,

Any ins at WA in San Anselmo? I think still the only shop in the North Bay that deals in Bonts (at least they were last I tried to try on a pair). Where do you get yours if you don't mind my asking?
Old 06-10-2019, 02:10 PM

Have a pair of the Zero Plus and the Vaypor S.

I'll echo the polarizing fit issue, either they work or they don't. And when they don't, they really don't. The toe box is amazing and the hold at the heel is second to none for me, especially after molding.

Ventilation isn't great on hot days, but they're crazy stiff and do a great job transferring the power with a minimum of flex.

One issue I've run into, since I run Time pedals, the bolts for the pedals are too long for the cleat mount -- they intrude into the footbed. I've had to dremel down a couple sets of the stock Time bolts to get it to work without having some foot torture.

Oh and replace the stock insole. That sucks.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:39 PM

I had to go a size up when I bought a pair of regular width Bont Blitz because of that steep toe angle they have. In the end I culdn't make them work as they were not as moldable as they make it sound.
Bont also does that Asian fit as well which is a wide toe box and narrow heel which is what my feet are like.
I tried a pair of Bonts with the buckle closure as well but I couldn't get it tight enough.

I just got the custom Luck Galaxy MTB shoe for $400 CAD. The process was pretty straight forward. Very high quality. I'd buy again when my road shoes wear out.

https://luck-bike.es/en/
Old 06-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Add me to the list of the Bont curious.

I have a wide forefoot and a narrow heel. I've been wearing Sidi Megas for years, and they are workable. The heel retention system is a must for me as that helps with heel slippage a lot.

I checked into Bonts about two years ago. After using their sizing calculator, it determined that I would require a custom pair. The additional price and the lengthy wait time pushed me toward another pair of Sidis.

Has anyone here used the Bont custom shop?
Old 06-10-2019, 03:31 PM

I was using a set of bont blitz as well.

I like them, the one shoe that I was able to mold perfectly fit really well was the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn, the other shoe was a moving target of if it was going to be a good day or bad day on the bike.

I also had troubles with the cleat bolts being too long and protruding into my foot.

In terms of the knee stabilization and arch support, really liked it, once I got used to it.

In terms of quality, I got about 6500km out of a paid (3 years). Some stitching is coming loose and they look worn. In terms of sizing, I only wish they offered a 45.5 as I had to go with a 46. Similar to others, it was hard to find a local shop to try them on and get them to order the right size - ended up getting mine from ChainReaction on closeout.

I'd still be wearing them, but found a really good deal on a pair of Lake CX402s that was too good to pass up.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:09 PM

I absolutely love my Bont Vaypor+ shoes. Having four (4) pair, all in different colors, I have zero desire to try any other brand. Before Bont, I was an S-Works guy, but then they changed the shoe so much they were no longer comfortable. After a ton of shoes (I'm talking about 15 pair), I found the Bont, and never went back.

That reminds me- I've got a ton of 46s to sell in the Classifieds.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
I had to go a size up when I bought a pair of regular width Bont Blitz because of that steep toe angle they have. In the end I culdn't make them work as they were not as moldable as they make it sound.
Bont also does that Asian fit as well which is a wide toe box and narrow heel which is what my feet are like.
I tried a pair of Bonts with the buckle closure as well but I couldn't get it tight enough.

I just got the custom Luck Galaxy MTB shoe for $400 CAD. The process was pretty straight forward. Very high quality. I'd buy again when my road shoes wear out.

https://luck-bike.es/en/
I've read about sizing inconsistencies based on the online fit tool, gives me pause. More reason to try prior to purchase if at all possible. I never found an explanation on what "Asian Fit" meant, good to know. I'll have to keep an eye on Luck shoes, definitely an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I was using a set of bont blitz as well.

I like them, the one shoe that I was able to mold perfectly fit really well was the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn, the other shoe was a moving target of if it was going to be a good day or bad day on the bike.

I also had troubles with the cleat bolts being too long and protruding into my foot.

In terms of the knee stabilization and arch support, really liked it, once I got used to it.

In terms of quality, I got about 6500km out of a paid (3 years). Some stitching is coming loose and they look worn. In terms of sizing, I only wish they offered a 45.5 as I had to go with a 46. Similar to others, it was hard to find a local shop to try them on and get them to order the right size - ended up getting mine from ChainReaction on closeout.

I'd still be wearing them, but found a really good deal on a pair of Lake CX402s that was too good to pass up.
Your input is paralleled online, screw length, general quality and durability. I'm willing to accept some issues at this stage, quality isn't one, however, hopefully they've improved. I bought a pair of Lake 331s only to subsequently learn about the differences between the comfort, sport, competition and race lasts. The 331s are too narrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
I absolutely love my Bont Vaypor+ shoes. Having four (4) pair, all in different colors, I have zero desire to try any other brand. Before Bont, I was an S-Works guy, but then they changed the shoe so much they were no longer comfortable. After a ton of shoes (I'm talking about 15 pair), I found the Bont, and never went back.

That reminds me- I've got a ton of 46s to sell in the Classifieds.
This is good to hear as I loved my Specialized Pro road shoes until the design changed, plus I'd grown to a size 50.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:59 PM

I recently bought a pair of Vaypor Gs here and realized: it’s time to admit I have a wide foot. Not a picky regular foot, but a big ol flipper. “Reputed to be wide in normal sizes” no longer cuts it. Liked em but need the wides.

Anybody want a pair of size 43 Vaypor Gs in great shape for $150?