Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2010, 09:59 AM

Priceless thread. Can't tell you how many times old schooler comes out when I jump on a board. The sims pure juice and powell are long gone, but I seem to do just fine on the new school boards. Tic tac's don't seem to get the same reaction as a well laid 360 or above.

My wife cringes when I hit the ramp, although I have not been able to equal the one wheeler of old, which is probably why I have escaped rash to this point.

William you inspire me to get higher. Safe healing.

Did buy a long board for my son for christmas, disguised for him, as I am certainly enjoying. She wouldn't let me buy two.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Thanks TT!

I made a Long Board out of a water ski (Tracker Trucks w/Red Kryptonics 70mm's) back in Jr. High. Some of us got into down hilling long before the X-games ever came along. We would "luge" downhill. I tried it as a way to eliminate the "wobbles" you can get on shorter boards. It worked great! I once did about 60 mph (at least that's what our friend said who was driving behind us in an old Mercury Cougar). No pads or safety gear at all...stupid, stupid, stupid but fun, fun, fun!!! I used to love riding that thing all around town.
I'd be curious to see what they are selling now days as a "Long Board".

William
Sounds like my daze of growing up as well... I see these guys on the weekends (here's a half second where you can see me riding up as they fly by on the way down). They scare the hell out of me when they cross the yellow line on blind corners (as I've had many a near miss on the bike without even being close to the yellow line).

Lookout Mountain Colorado Longboarders
Old 03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Hey William -- I've been getting into longboarding lately and am having a blast with my youngest daughter. I have a long history of skateboarding and used to ride ditches and ramps while I was in college and farther from the beach. Unfortunately, this history including destroying my knee when I bailed at the bottom of a ramp...severed ACL and meniscus damage on both sides...ouch.

My daughter started out riding a shortboard, but she decided that longboarding was more fun. She's riding a Gravity Mini-Carve and I have a Hyper-Carve, Mini-Carve and a S9 Super Cruiser and just picked up G&S FibreFlex. We don't have any hills around here, but when we visit my mom we bring our boards and have a good time bombing the hills.

I still get out my shortboards every now and then, but longboarding is just so much fun.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Here's a couple of pictures of us on our warm up hill...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SkateboardingKeith1.jpg (85.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg SkateboardingDanielle1.jpg (84.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Administrator

William -- So what kind of LB are you riding? Lately I've been interested in trying one of the drop through style boards...maybe the Gravity Kalai.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:50 PM

William

did the board have ceramic bearings ?... that was the problem

glad you are ok ....
Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Keith, great photos!

I like the drop through. A while back I picked up a Gravity Ed Economy 55".

I'm sure you remember Ed Economy from the old Sims team.

I keep my eye on the local Craigslist for good deals on longboards that pop up from time to time. I also have trucks and wheels lying around and thought about picking up an Eastbilt LB. I've heard some good things about them plus I can use my design skills to good use on graphics.

http://eastbilt.com/long_old_school.htm

William

PS: Has anyone ever ridden one of these Landyachtz? If yes, thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LZ DH Racer.jpg (107.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg dhraceangle.jpg (64.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by William; 03-10-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:58 AM
Administrator

KM: My son has a new school board and it's alright except I can't stand the little hard wheels on it. He seems to like it but I prefer the feel of softer 70 mm wheels. Plus my tub of an old school board doesn't lend itself to the hops onto metal rails and stuff. Funny though, when I do tic-tacs and get myself flying I get a lot of looks from the younger crowd.

CR: Watching that vid, I found about half way through it I had a big stupid grin on my face. The thrill of tucking, building speed, and carving out the corners started coming back. Not sure I would bomb as fast as I used to but I would certainly consider doing it again. Thanks for the link.

William
Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Administrator

William -- I'm sure you already know about the Silverfish longboarding forum. It's great for reading about different gear and I know the Landyachtz comes up often. The Ed Economy looks like a great board and have ready many positive reviews about it.

The downhilling stuff looks like a blast...but I would certainly want to have the right equipment. I have a good friend who just lost a roommate due to a crashing going downhill. He wasn't even going that fast, but he didn't have a helmet and his head smacked the pavement and that was the end....very sad.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A
William -- I'm sure you already know about the Silverfish longboarding forum. It's great for reading about different gear and I know the Landyachtz comes up often. The Ed Economy looks like a great board and have ready many positive reviews about it.

The downhilling stuff looks like a blast...but I would certainly want to have the right equipment. I have a good friend who just lost a roommate due to a crashing going downhill. He wasn't even going that fast, but he didn't have a helmet and his head smacked the pavement and that was the end....very sad.

Not another forum!!

In days past I never wore any safety gear of any kind. These days a minimum of helmet and good gloves is required.

William