Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2017, 09:25 AM

Bibs Make Me Feel Weird on Saddle

I've been wearing Capo clothing exclusive during last several years since the company made kits for my old team. I really like their stuff including the bibs. However I'm no longer with a team/club after dealing with achilles issues during last 3 years. I'm all good now and it's time to replace some of those worn bibs and jerseys. I visited the Rapha Soho during my vacation in London earlier this year and bought bunch of stuff, including Brevel bibs. While the fabric and craftsman feel top notches, Brevet bibs do make me feel slipping forward while riding. It feels like someone changed my saddle setup by tilting the rear. While that's ok during shorter rides but my shoulders and arms get tired during 3+ hours ride. Does anyone have the same experience with bibs from any manufacturer? I've been thinking about buying couple more bibs from Rapha but not sure if I'll have same problem with other models? I suspect the problem is the Brevet bibs have extra thick chamois toward the back and that might not be the problem with other Rapha models with thinner chamois.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:28 AM

I've only used the Rapha classics, and fwiw... I found the chamois to be too thick for my liking and yes... made my saddle position feel odd.

In general, this experience made me aware that I personally prefer a thin chamois.

I'd go back to Capo brand or similar.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:27 PM

Frankly I think rapha puts the pad in the wrong place. I do not rate their bibs and got rid of all mine. Assos and isadore I have found to fit male anatomy much better.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:58 PM

Rapha seems more of a fashion brand to me so, the pad and other appointments might not align perfectly. Colors and style will be en vogue though. The pad in my Assos is placed perfectly.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:58 PM

Assos has a sterling reputation for the fit of their padding. I have been trying to decide if I'd like to try the penultimate level bibshort, but they are at least two price categories above the old C'dale pro-kit I have worn out. Not much of a clothes hound.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Assos has a sterling reputation for the fit of their padding. I have been trying to decide if I'd like to try the penultimate level bibshort, but they are at least two price categories above the old C'dale pro-kit I have worn out. Not much of a clothes hound.
I basically only wear Assos or Capo at this point in time and rate both highly. However, if the day calls for a long ride, its always Assos for me, although the Capo GS/Padrone can get me by 70 miles its not as comfy as the Assos S7.

Owning all 4 Assos S7s, I'd say the Equipe (#3) is definitely the sweet spot in performance per dollar and would skip the Cento (#2) bib and go straight for the Campionissimo (#1) as I feel you get your money's worth there, whereas the #2 vs #3 isn't as big a jump. I think the better Capo stuff is a bit better than the Mille/Neopro (#4) Assos, but it also is up there in price with the better Assos bibs.

If you're looking for a step up the Assos ladder and don't want to to to the top check out the FF1 Team Shorts. They have a little Mercedes F1 tag on them, but mix the material of the campionissimo and the Pad/Cut of the Equipe to make for one awesome short that is the same price as the Centos.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
I basically only wear Assos or Capo at this point in time and rate both highly. However, if the day calls for a long ride, its always Assos for me, although the Capo GS/Padrone can get me by 70 miles its not as comfy as the Assos S7.

Owning all 4 Assos S7s, I'd say the Equipe (#3) is definitely the sweet spot in performance per dollar and would skip the Cento (#2) bib and go straight for the Campionissimo (#1) as I feel you get your money's worth there, whereas the #2 vs #3 isn't as big a jump. I think the better Capo stuff is a bit better than the Mille/Neopro (#4) Assos, but it also is up there in price with the better Assos bibs.

If you're looking for a step up the Assos ladder and don't want to to to the top check out the FF1 Team Shorts. They have a little Mercedes F1 tag on them, but mix the material of the campionissimo and the Pad/Cut of the Equipe to make for one awesome short that is the same price as the Centos.
Good info and thanks.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Frankly I think rapha puts the pad in the wrong place. I do not rate their bibs and got rid of all mine. Assos and isadore I have found to fit MY male anatomy much better.
Fify, and I am not trying to start a 'oh yeh?', thread but my Rapha Classics the best bibs I have ever worn....including those from all brands mentioned and some not. BUT to the OP, everybody's bumm area different, if they don't work, don't use them. If XL, I may buy them, let me know, to OP.
Tried a variety of Assos, no thanks, not friendly to MY anatomy.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Fify, and I am not trying to start a 'oh yeh?', thread but my Rapha Classics the best bibs I have ever worn....including those from all brands mentioned and some not. BUT to the OP, everybody's bumm area different, if they don't work, don't use them. If XL, I may buy them, let me know, to OP.
Tried a variety of Assos, no thanks, not friendly to MY anatomy.
I do have a pair of classics I kept for trainer duty. I love rapha jerseys etc. I'm not anti at all. Just sharing my exp. Isadore climbers bibs are for me the gold standard. Of course like feet all crotches differ.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:57 PM

I recall Bob Roll saying, "The pad should be on the saddle, NOT in your shorts". I nodded my head yes and have lived by that to this day.

I ride on an Aliante original shape and thin pads in the shorts area.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Vendor

I wear the Hincapie bibs. They are excellent. The shoulder straps are nice and long for longer torsos.

I did get a pair of Assos Cento S7 shorts with the Kuku Pouch. A buddy at Assos sent them to me to try. Sadly, they are a bit snug and make everything feel funky. The Hincapies, excellent except given my issue, it smashes everything and put pressure/pain there.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irideti View Post
I(...) Does anyone have the same experience with bibs from any manufacturer? (...)
Yes, years ago I wore Castelli's Progetto-Y bibs, and they felt like they were designed just for me and me alone. Then Castelli changed their designs, and their new bibs had me slipping and sliding all over the saddle. (Performance Bike's flagship store in Santa Monica gave me a full refund, no questions asked.)

To this day I cannot find any Castelli bibs that I like. The moral of the story is you cannot buy bibs based on reputation, someone's recommendation, or even past experience with the manufacturer (unless you're buying an identical model). Your own notion of ideal fit and function are simply too personal.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:33 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by irideti View Post
I suspect the problem is the Brevet bibs have extra thick chamois toward the back and that might not be the problem with other Rapha models with thinner chamois.
The chamois pad has been engineered with different foam densities to ensure longer-lasting comfort in the saddle, and is also perforated so the shorts can be washed and quickly dried overnight, ready to be worn again the following day.

you bought a special purpose bib - assos has a similar "long distance" bib - and yes, it could be the issue for you. the rapha classic bib is the most "neutral" bib they make. while the fabric si stretchy and would not seem to be a great design, it is all day comfortable for myself and many others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
The moral of the story is you cannot buy bibs based on reputation, someone's recommendation, or even past experience with the manufacturer (unless you're buying an identical model). Your own notion of ideal fit and function are simply too personal.
^ yup

I recently tried some Q36.5. those are really really nice bibs and despite the size chart, I was sized to a medium instead of the chart size large. since I put them on in person, I could make that leap.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:19 PM

To echo what irideti (i ride ti, too) and pdmtong said, it's hard to go on others' recommendations. Interestingly, the chamoises in most of the brands mentioned are all made by the same company--CyTech. Every manufacturer has their own twist, so the chamioses are not identical. I am a big fan of Assos (still wear the FI.13 S5's a lot, and prefer the S7 Equipe to the S7 Campionnissimo) and the Rapha Pro Team, and have tried but ultimately couldn't stand the Rapha Classic bibs (lack of compression in the fabric and thick chamois were not my thing).

So to each his or her own. If you liked the chamois in Capo bib shorts (which used to be made by CyTech if they aren't still), they were/are typically on the thinner side. The Rapha Pro Team might suit you better than the Brevet bib shorts.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Good info and thanks.
great breakdown! appreciate it