Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2010, 08:13 PM

New Paltz carriage trails

We will be in New Paltz New York at the end of the month and was interested in riding the carriage trails in the area. We were planning on taking cross bikes to ride. Can someone give me some info on the trails? We were wondering how many miles of trail there are and if a cross bike is appropriate. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:22 PM

There are many miles of carriage trails in Minnewaska State Park, which I haven't ridden. I can't give you advice on the proper choice of bike, though I think a cross bike should be fine.

You might also consider riding the Walkill Valley Rail Trail. It's 12 miles long, and it passes through New Paltz, next to historic Huguenot Street. I ride it on a road bike with 28c tires without a problem. There are some good views of the Shawangunk Mountains to the west.

Last edited by fiamme red; 09-06-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:25 AM

Back in the 1970s we used to ride those carriage trails on our road bikes all the time. Of course, a road bike had 27 x 1 1/4" tires.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Senior Shmoozer

I've ridden the trails at Minniwaska.
YES you can do them with a cross bike (or a MTB)
Lakes, views, waterfalls, great stuff, Highly recommended!

New Paltz town is good for restaurants. Yanni (Greek) on Main St is my fav.

A lot of great road riding along rivers, farms etc.

I was up there this weekend (road bike.)

There is also a cool looking rails to trails thing up there that
looks very doable by cross bike, as mentioned by fiamme_red
This website has maps of the area:
http://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/...#text_list_all

good luck

VF

Last edited by victoryfactory; 09-07-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the link to the website. I'll probably bring along an extra set of wheels and do some pavement rides as well.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 AM

There are also carriage trails at the Mohonk Preserve. A day pass is required.

http://www.mohonkpreserve.org/index.php?bike
Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 AM

Both Minnewaska State Park and the Mohonk Preserve have many miles of carriage trails. The Mohonk Preserve trails are probably in a little better shape than the Minnewaska trails, as the Minnewaska trails have been repaired with coarse gravel. While I usually ride my MTB there, a cross bike will be fine.

Over the years, I've spent a lot of time at Minnewaska. The trails there cover tremendous scenery - from waterfalls, to cliff top views, to ravines and glacial lakes. The basic path of the routes will take you from Lake Minnewaska to Lake Awosting over different routes. In addition to cycling, one of my favorite activities is to ride out to Awosting, stash my bike in the woods and spend some time hiking / walking through the Minnewaska back country. For reasonable effort, you can take yourself to a place where you're unlikely to see another person. I recommend a set of Shawangunk hiking maps available online from the NYNJ Trail Conference, or for sale in New Paltz at Rock & Snow.

There is also a carriage trail that connects the Mohonk Preserve trails with Minnewaska Park. All the carriage trails are well marked on the hiking maps.

The Roberts site (mentioned above) also lists several very nice road rides in the New Paltz vicinity. You can stay in the valley and do many miles of rolling hills on quiet country roads, or you can cycle up into the Gunks, over the other side and up into the Catskills for some more serious climbing (The famous Rapha ride).

Lot's of road and off-road cycling opportunities and outstanding hiking there. Feel free to PM me w/ any questions. I know the area well. Have fun.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Never got to cycle in the area, but spent many a fine summer in that region in my youth. Beautiful area, with much to do and see.

My uncle used to run a high phallutin, standard breed, horse farm in the area. He, and the original owner of the farm, have both passed, but family is still involved. On that Roberts site, under the the "New Palz South" map, there is a side loop, denoted in fuchsia, that will take you by the place.

Looks like I'm going to have to bring a rig, when I head up that way next summer.