Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 AM

nitty gritty Speedplay Frog rebuilding - o rings

love the Frogs. new bearing kits from Speedplay are $37. those kits include bearings, o rings, and sealer for the pedals bodies. Enduro has the bearing kits for under $20, but those kits don't include o rings or sealer.

does anyone know if the o rings are anything special or should i be able to get those at any hardware store? and if yes, is there a way to know i am getting a good fitting replacement. just bring in the old one and try to match or is there a way to say "i need o rings in this specific size"?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Administrator

for an additional $17, why not just buy the kit directly from speedplay and save yourself the hassle??

its my experience that matching o-rings at the local hardare store is hit or miss at best, and frustrating generally. get the speedplay kit and know that you've got all the right stuff no?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:24 AM

not yet

you might feel good about $17 paid for two 20 cent o rings, but i can find something better to do with $16.60. now if i was risking my life or the hardware store was 20 miles away, i might agree with your approach.

that is why i am trying to find out the right ring size, so i don't make even a minor mistake. i have the frogs on 4 bikes and lube and rebuild as nec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
for an additional $17, why not just buy the kit directly from speedplay and save yourself the hassle??

its my experience that matching o-rings at the local hardare store is hit or miss at best, and frustrating generally. get the speedplay kit and know that you've got all the right stuff no?

Last edited by eddief; 01-08-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:51 PM

A place like McMaster sells bearings and O-rings. Their prices aren't the lowest but you only have to place one order so it might be cheaper overall. There's nothing special about the Speedplay O-rings. You could order much better ones from McMaster.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:30 PM

When I did the bearings on my Frog's, I googled around for the o-ring spec. Everyone seemed to suggest reusing the old rings, which is what ended up doing. I am guessing that the o-rings outlast a couple bearings.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:59 PM

Last time I bought o-rings at McMaster Carr, they were $2 for 100-pack. Might as well replace them every time. It's not like Frogs are using fluoroelastomer o-rings or anything crazy.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 PM

Given that the old O rings may have deteriorated from either grit abrasion or swelling, I'd recommend measuring the diameter of the shaft where the O ring rides (ID), and the diameter of the groove which holds the O ring into the pedal (OD). Then check McMaster and/or your local hardware store(s) to find a reasonable match. If you don't own a vernier caliper, this might be a good excuse to buy one. They're infinitely handy to have around.

That said, I wouldn't stress overmuch about the quality of fitment, as long as the O ring can be glued into place on the pedal body and squeezes the spindle reasonably tight. Jobst Brandt has convinced me that no rotating bicycle seal is watertight - the O Ring serves only to keep the grit out of the bearings until you can pump more grease in to expel the water.

One thing I can offer from my experience in overhauling the Frogs - give the RTV as much time as possible to cure before injecting new grease. Otherwise you may find that the grease migrates into the rest of the pedal body.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 PM

Rtv?

is that the tiny package of silicone sealer Speedplay includes with bearings? What is a good substitute for that stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khjr
Given that the old O rings may have deteriorated from either grit abrasion or swelling, I'd recommend measuring the diameter of the shaft where the O ring rides (ID), and the diameter of the groove which holds the O ring into the pedal (OD). Then check McMaster and/or your local hardware store(s) to find a reasonable match. If you don't own a vernier caliper, this might be a good excuse to buy one. They're infinitely handy to have around.

That said, I wouldn't stress overmuch about the quality of fitment, as long as the O ring can be glued into place on the pedal body and squeezes the spindle reasonably tight. Jobst Brandt has convinced me that no rotating bicycle seal is watertight - the O Ring serves only to keep the grit out of the bearings until you can pump more grease in to expel the water.

One thing I can offer from my experience in overhauling the Frogs - give the RTV as much time as possible to cure before injecting new grease. Otherwise you may find that the grease migrates into the rest of the pedal body.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 AM

i rebuilt my speedplays (road and mtn) and i used a set of calipers to measure the o-rings and c clips....i bought them from GRAINGER for like .10 each. They work perfectly. no big deal. I also bought the bearings through GRAINGER for 1.00 or 2.00 each.

hate to say it...SP is a ripoff. 37.00 for their kit that costs 5.00-10.00 per pedal to the average joe. It took me all of 25 minutes per set to rebuild them. I rebuilt all my pedals, (3 X-2 roads and 3 frogs) in like 3hrs. The more i did, the easier it got.

if you want help...PM me.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:20 PM

just a quick update to this thread with the actual specs of the o-rings.

i found this on another forum:

I noticed that the o-rings on my 4 year old speedplay X5's were cracking and looked like they were ready to fall off. I took the pedals apart and cleaned and regreased everything, and after getting no reply from emailing Speedplay, I matched them up at my local Lowes in the faucet repair section. I used #6 - 7/16 OD x 5/16 ID x 1/16, and they fit perfectly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
i rebuilt my speedplays (road and mtn) and i used a set of calipers to measure the o-rings and c clips....i bought them from GRAINGER for like .10 each. They work perfectly. no big deal. I also bought the bearings through GRAINGER for 1.00 or 2.00 each.

hate to say it...SP is a ripoff. 37.00 for their kit that costs 5.00-10.00 per pedal to the average joe. It took me all of 25 minutes per set to rebuild them. I rebuilt all my pedals, (3 X-2 roads and 3 frogs) in like 3hrs. The more i did, the easier it got.

if you want help...PM me.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 AM

Hi Walter,

Got your message. I actually bought the o-rings at grainger, although i bought them and used them all in my pedals. I also bought some bearings from grainger but later swapped them out for some ceramic hybrid bearings from VXB.com, i searched by size (towards the bottom, left side). I actually have some of those left. I bought them in bulk because i have 11 bikes and they all have speedplay pedals (i dont like to remove pedals).

If you want me to take apart a pedal to get the o-ring size, i can.

i hope i could be a help...

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
just a quick update to this thread with the actual specs of the o-rings.

i found this on another forum:

I noticed that the o-rings on my 4 year old speedplay X5's were cracking and looked like they were ready to fall off. I took the pedals apart and cleaned and regreased everything, and after getting no reply from emailing Speedplay, I matched them up at my local Lowes in the faucet repair section. I used #6 - 7/16 OD x 5/16 ID x 1/16, and they fit perfectly!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief
is that the tiny package of silicone sealer Speedplay includes with bearings? What is a good substitute for that stuff?
Yes it is. You can find the sealer most reliably at auto parts stores in their glues and sealers section.