Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2020, 05:31 AM

Pippa York

https://pezcyclingnews.com/interview...ar-pippa-york/

Great read and a pic of Boyer at the end.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:00 AM
Vendor

Not sure if a pic of Jock Boyer is anything to write home about given everything he did.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Not sure if a pic of Jock Boyer is anything to write home about given everything he did.
What does Jock Boyer have to do with this article?

Never mind, I see Boyer behind Millar in the last photo. So what are you saying, that we should suppress any photo that has Boyer in it, and never mention his name again? Boyer did his time, and he's done a lot of good work in Rwanda since then.

Last edited by fiamme red; 10-28-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:48 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post

Never mind, I see Boyer behind Millar in the last photo. So what are you saying, that we should suppress any photo that has Boyer in it, and never mention his name again? Boyer did his time, and he's done a lot of good work in Rwanda since then.
Just suggesting the Pippa article could've been mentioned without him being mentioned is all. That's it. I've never met Boyer or York so I have no dog in the fight. Just figured it might've been easier and less controversial not mentioning Boyer. That was all.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:03 AM

5th in a Classic and 12th in the TDF. A very early USA guy in Europe who rode with ACBB and spent a lot of time working for Kelly et al. I worked side by side with him for several years; and the point of the posting was about Pippa not JB necessarily to ruffle feathers of those who like to post bickering as has been discussed here recently. He played a role in many big races and paved the way for a lot of others. I find cycling history very interesting and hope that others get something out of this as well. That pic was likely from Goodwood '82 when JB was away and the pack was towed up by GL and Saronni prevailed. There is film of this in the Sean Kelly story if you can find it somewhere.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
That pic was likely from Goodwood '82 when JB was away and the pack was towed up by GL and Saronni prevailed. There is film of this in the Sean Kelly story if you can find it somewhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09WZaWINFbo (start at around 6:00)

Phil Liggett: "Now really Greg LeMond should not be doing this!"

Last edited by fiamme red; 10-28-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09WZaWINFbo (start at around 6:00)

Phil Liggett: "Now really Greg LeMond should not be doing this!"
Thanks that was good to see again & yeah Phil was right IMO

both because his teammate was out front & because if he had stayed on a wheel he may have won as they were pulling Boyer back
Old 10-28-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
Thanks that was good to see again & yeah Phil was right IMO

both because his teammate was out front & because if he had stayed on a wheel he may have won as they were pulling Boyer back
https://www.nytimes.com/1982/09/29/s...-moves-up.html

Quote:
(LeMond) shocked spectators at the world championships by being at the front in the pack's final sprint against the leader, Jack Boyer, another American.

Lemond remains unapologetic. ''We were in the last 500 meters and Boyer only had about a 20-meter lead, which there was no way he could keep. I didn't think he could win and I didn't want him to. He's just not a friend. He's never won a professional race and I didn't think he was the kind of guy who should be world champion.

''I was wearing the U.S. jersey, sure, but there really wasn't a U.S. team and I definitely wasn't part of it. I paid for my own trip to England, everything. There was no support from the U.S. federation. The team I was racing for was Renault.''
If the roles had been reversed, LeMond would still be whining about how he was cheated by Boyer out of a World Championship.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:09 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:

If the roles had been reversed, LeMond would still be whining about how he was cheated by Boyer out of a World Championship.
Agreed (and I’m a GL fan.)
That episode is an asterisk on what might have been a career day for Boyer (of whom I’ve always been a fan even longer.)
Old 10-28-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks never saw that & good read too
Old 10-28-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Just suggesting the Pippa article could've been mentioned without him being mentioned is all. That's it. I've never met Boyer or York so I have no dog in the fight. Just figured it might've been easier and less controversial not mentioning Boyer. That was all.
I didn't see where he was mentioned. Just a non credited photo with him in the blurry background.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:

No, he didn't. His case was a miscarriage of justice and his relocation to Africa to avoid scrutiny and oversight is equally appalling.

Quote:
In November, 2002, Boyer was convicted after pleading guilty to 10 felony counts of child molestation. He was sentenced to 20 year prison term which was suspended by the judge and had him serve one year in jail and five years probation.
The judge's rationale for the suspended sentence was disgusting.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:46 AM

Sad that a good article is being overshadowed by a background picture.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Sad that a good article is being overshadowed by a background picture.
I agree, and if Velocipede wants to complain, then complain about the recent PEZ article on Boyer himself: https://pezcyclingnews.com/interview...us-tour-rider/.

Steve Friedman wrote a fascinating piece on Boyer for Bicycling Magazine eight years ago: https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20021473/jock-boyer/.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I agree, and if Velocipede wants to complain, then complain about the recent PEZ article on Boyer himself: https://pezcyclingnews.com/interview...us-tour-rider/.

Steve Friedman wrote a fascinating piece on Boyer for Bicycling Magazine eight years ago: https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20021473/jock-boyer/.
Both articles are the typical "criminal caught in bad circumstances redeems themselves through pure heart."

Everything bad Boyer did is a passive occurrence which just seemed to happen around him. Everything good is brought about by his toil and restitution. For whatever good he has done I do not think he needs to be a recurring featurette for the cycling press, nor should he work around children in a country where protections for those children are at best, in my own personal experience, lax and fraught with hazard.