Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2024, 01:08 PM

AC type question

Was looking at a house to possible buy and noticed it had the air handler on ceiling of garage. That’s all I noticed. Have always had the air handler on wall, where easy to change filter and add vinegar to drain hole. Is there something I need to know about that? Ceiling mount vs wall, etc? How you service? Different types, etc. thanks
Old 10-10-2024, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Was looking at a house to possible buy and noticed it had the air handler on ceiling of garage. That’s all I noticed. Have always had the air handler on wall, where easy to change filter and add vinegar to drain hole. Is there something I need to know about that? Ceiling mount vs wall, etc? How you service? Different types, etc. thanks
I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Is this a mini-split unit? Or do you mean the air handler is in the attic above the garage?
Old 10-10-2024, 01:49 PM

I believe just air handler in attic above garage. It seemed to me to be a bad idea, unless I’m missing something. My wife is very dilligent in changing filters and keeping drsin free. It seemed difficult in the attic. Just wondered why a builder would do that? Other than saving a bit of space. I know some of you guys are HVAC experts.
Old 10-10-2024, 01:54 PM
Randomhead

It's pretty common to put the air handler and ducting in the attic. I think almost all retrofits are done that way. It would be pretty shoddy if it was done for new construction. It's far from ideal, and access might be the least of the problems with it. Nowadays most retrofits are done with minisplits.
Old 10-10-2024, 01:55 PM
Back At It!

we had a house in Virginia that had an upstairs and downstairs air handler/and two heat pump units.. the upstairs was in the attic.. maybe something like that going on?

If I remember right, the filter for the upstairs air handler was somewhere on the second floor (on the ceiling maybe?) where I didn't have to go in the attic to change it..
Old 10-10-2024, 01:57 PM

Not sure what year it was built -

Mine was built in the late 80's and was a modular home. Central air was installed sometime after, but the filter had to be changed by going into the attic to the air handler (which was a total PITA).

Recently had the system swapped out (along w/ electric baseboard heat) for a heatpump system and the filter is now at the intake vent in the ceiling, all I need is a chair to stand on for the filter.

It's a horrible design, I guess it just depends on when and what model unit was installed.
Old 10-10-2024, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I believe just air handler in attic above garage. It seemed to me to be a bad idea, unless I’m missing something. My wife is very dilligent in changing filters and keeping drsin free. It seemed difficult in the attic. Just wondered why a builder would do that? Other than saving a bit of space. I know some of you guys are HVAC experts.
Ah, that's makes more sense.

It's not uncommon to put the air handler in the attic. My last house was like that. The filters were at the return ducts on each floor, so you didn't have to go into the attic for that task.

But, you did have to be more diligent about checking the drain pan, drain tube, and cutoff switches. One summer, our drain pan cracked (age+heat) while we were out of town. Came home to the ceiling on the 2nd floor all collapsed into goopy piles.

So, given a choice, I'd never buy a house with the handler in the attic. I much prefer it in conditioned space that's easy to access. Today, that's my basement.
Old 10-10-2024, 03:44 PM

Thanks guys. Our current one story house with heat pump has it in conventional place. But wife wants to look at houses, and she liked this house with air handler in attic. Big no no to me.
Old 10-10-2024, 03:53 PM

Old 10-10-2024, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
It's pretty common to put the air handler and ducting in the attic. I think almost all retrofits are done that way. It would be pretty shoddy if it was done for new construction. It's far from ideal, and access might be the least of the problems with it. Nowadays most retrofits are done with minisplits.
There are reasons. Space and noise among them. My dad is building a new house right now and the handler is in the corner of the attic above the garage. It has permanent stairs for easy access. I asked him about it and he said it used those 6" (or more?) filters which only need to be changed every 6-months.
Old 10-10-2024, 09:34 PM

Is it hanging from the ceiling in the garage or above the ceiling? In the attic space is a big no for me for several reasons. 1. Maintenance and filter changes are difficult so they get skipped. 2. The temperature differance makes it harder on the equipment. 3. When, not if, the drain backs up and overflows, it's drywall repair time. I don't even like the ductwork in unconditioned space but that's another discussion.
Under the ceiling would be fine IMHO, back the car out put up a stepladder and you're good to go.
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
Is it hanging from the ceiling in the garage or above the ceiling? In the attic space is a big no for me for several reasons. 1. Maintenance and filter changes are difficult so they get skipped. 2. The temperature differance makes it harder on the equipment. 3. When, not if, the drain backs up and overflows, it's drywall repair time. I don't even like the ductwork in unconditioned space but that's another discussion.
Under the ceiling would be fine IMHO, back the car out put up a stepladder and you're good to go.
Agree. Air handler and ducts in an attic in FL means that in peak cooling conditions the system is working against 130-140F ambient temperatures, vs. 75F within conditioned space.
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys. Our current one story house with heat pump has it in conventional place. But wife wants to look at houses, and she liked this house with air handler in attic. Big no no to me.
I am a Realtor and for my last 16 years in my current location I have not seen an air handler that was not in an attic.

Jeff
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM

Where we live, slab foundation is much cheaper than crawlspace foundation by a good margin when adding or building a new home. Space is crucial too so that's why we ended up having all AC/heating/ducts in the attic. We also added insulation in the existing crawlspace as well as having more insulation in the attic. We also sealed as many cracks as possible during our remodel (I did a lot of these myself). In the end, our AC/heating doesn't turn on as much as before.

The temperature rise/drop is minimal.

We also have 8' doors for better circulation between rooms.

But I don't know too much about Florida. Our our highs are just above 100 degrees, and our lows are 35s?
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCanon View Post
Where we live, slab foundation is much cheaper than crawlspace foundation by a good margin when adding or building a new home. Space is crucial too so that's why we ended up having all AC/heating/ducts in the attic. We also added insulation in the existing crawlspace as well as having more insulation in the attic. We also sealed as many cracks as possible during our remodel (I did a lot of these myself). In the end, our AC/heating doesn't turn on as much as before.

The temperature rise/drop is minimal.

We also have 8' doors for better circulation between rooms.

But I don't know too much about Florida. Our our highs are just above 100 degrees, and our lows are 35s?
as a bit of an aside, I have a friend here in Sonoma County that added a "whole house fan" in his attic.. he says it makes such a huge difference, even in the 100*+ weather we've been having the last month.. he hasn't had to use his AC near as much as he did before.. and, if I understand it correctly, it keeps his attic cooler as well I think..