Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
NBCSN - Sunday and Monday
Thanks much. I'm watching a replay on NBCSN now.

That photo numbskull posted of the J's is beautiful.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:38 PM
Proud Grandpa

I was in Newport when the Aussie boat won...1983? Never seen so many drunk Australians, even in Australia.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I was in Newport when the Aussie boat won...1983? Never seen so many drunk Australians, even in Australia.
that's easy. You should have been in Australia. Even the Prime Minister was in on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB0WvpiUA_I
Old 06-24-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
that's easy. You should have been in Australia. Even the Prime Minister was in on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB0WvpiUA_I
LOL.

What is the name of that funny tv OZ comedy duo that pokes fun at everything OZ?

Wow, this entire sport is now so technologically different from when I used Ted Turner et al on TV...super high-tech, almost robotic. I think I preferred the "old days". The speed and quickness is extremely impressive though.

I don't quite understand the "replacing oil" concept. Is extra oil for the hydraulics stored on-board as they burn the oil off?
Old 06-25-2017, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
LOL.

What is the name of that funny tv OZ comedy duo that pokes fun at everything OZ?

Wow, this entire sport is now so technologically different from when I used Ted Turner et al on TV...super high-tech, almost robotic. I think I preferred the "old days". The speed and quickness is extremely impressive though.

I don't quite understand the "replacing oil" concept. Is extra oil for the hydraulics stored on-board as they burn the oil off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Are you thinking of John Clarke and Brian Dawe? Clarke died earlier this year. Such a shame - he was a national treasure.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
Are you thinking of John Clarke and Brian Dawe? Clarke died earlier this year. Such a shame - he was a national treasure.
Yes, those guys, thanks!

That really is a shame; those two were fantastic, even to a non-Aussie.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:12 AM

Living in Bermuda and watching the lead up to the AC has been pretty fascinating for me. For someone who grew up minutes from the ocean every day of my life, I am largely indifferent to it. I have never sailed and am not at all a fan of salt water - I enjoy the fresh water lake at my in-laws house in Ontairo much more.

That said, this event is pretty awesome. I have been hooked since the challenger series began and the racing has been fantastic. I have been watching the teams training out in the Great Sound for two years now and it's been amazing how those things fly around. The speed is pretty unbelievable when you see it live.

It's heartening to see Oracle get a win as they are beloved here in Bda while the Kiwis are not too highly thought of here. We're all hoping the US win it and retain the format and perhaps return the regatta here in two years.

Go Oracle!
Old 06-25-2017, 08:35 AM

I did this a year or so ago, it was awesome!

https://www.12metre.com/
Old 06-25-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Most of the controls are operated via hydraulic pressure. For some maneuvers the "grinders", who generate the hydraulic pressure, are unable to keep up with the demand. So the boats contain accumulators where the grinders can bank hydraulic pressure for demanding maneuvers. "Running out of oil" means that a maneuver has exceeded the contents banked in the accumulators and thus control surfaces become inoperable until hydraulic pressure is restored.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post

It's heartening to see Oracle get a win as they are beloved here in Bda while the Kiwis are not too highly thought of here. We're all hoping the US win it and retain the format and perhaps return the regatta here in two years.

Go Oracle!
Agree, I sure wish Oracle could bring home another miracle but I'm afraid the fat lady has sung on this one. The Kiwis are doing a good job and their boat is well thought out, and fast. We will have to go back over there again to bring it back home.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:42 AM

The boats are fast and "flying" on foil is amazing.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:46 PM

cyclists used in the NZ boat.

Love that the kiwis are building the hydraulic pressure with cyclists rather than the hand cranks. Guys are just hammering with their heads down. As a cyclist and not a sailor I was intrigued.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:52 PM

In today's coverage they showed a graphic on the hydraulic pressure in the systems on the two boats. They were both maxing out at similar levels of pressure build, but you could see the Kiwis with their leg power being able to replenish and get topped up to optimum levels a heck of a lot quicker than Oracle could with their hand cranks. Legs and lower backs have bigger muscles than arms, shoulders and upper backs. NZ definitely played a blinder with their boat design and it's showing in how they sail it. They have so much more capacity to control the surfaces on their wing due to the optimum levels of hydro pressure they can maintain.

NZ 6 - USA 1

I think it'll be all over by 2pm EST tomorrow. Sadly, I cannot see Oracle pulling off a repeat of their SF comeback.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
Most of the controls are operated via hydraulic pressure. For some maneuvers the "grinders", who generate the hydraulic pressure, are unable to keep up with the demand. So the boats contain accumulators where the grinders can bank hydraulic pressure for demanding maneuvers. "Running out of oil" means that a maneuver has exceeded the contents banked in the accumulators and thus control surfaces become inoperable until hydraulic pressure is restored.
Thanks. That is very clear now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
In today's coverage they showed a graphic on the hydraulic pressure in the systems on the two boats. They were both maxing out at similar levels of pressure build, but you could see the Kiwis with their leg power being able to replenish and get topped up to optimum levels a heck of a lot quicker than Oracle could with their hand cranks. Legs and lower backs have bigger muscles than arms, shoulders and upper backs. NZ definitely played a blinder with their boat design and it's showing in how they sail it. They have so much more capacity to control the surfaces on their wing due to the optimum levels of hydro pressure they can maintain.

NZ 6 - USA 1

I think it'll be all over by 2pm EST tomorrow. Sadly, I cannot see Oracle pulling off a repeat of their SF comeback.
Interesting, thanks.

Why did Oracle, as the defender, choose Bermuda as the site, over SF Bay, SD Bay, Newport, etc?