Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2017, 07:22 AM

+1 for Pujol. Get the tasting menu if you are able to get reservations.

Roma neighbor is fantastic. My wife and I could not stop wondering around the place- finding all the little shops.

Not sure how much time you have, but a good day trip would be to San Angel. There is a great little marcado. Also near by is the Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera studio. Grab a bite and margarita at San Angel Inn prior to visiting.

Love Mexico City.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:07 AM

Yes, the Bazar del Sabado in San Angel (on Saturdays) is good. Lots of local artists selling their stuff. San Angel Inn is also a good suggestion for eating out. Ordering a margarita is the best way to show you're a tourist though (if the accent didn't give you away first )
Old 08-25-2017, 09:52 AM

Planning on Pujol. Looks like reservations aren't available for November yet though...
Old 08-25-2017, 10:50 AM

Try to find some fresh pulque vs a margarita.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:16 PM

Margaritas don't exist in El DF.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:41 PM

Such a great city - worth the trip to Teotihuacan if you have time. Anthropology museum is worthy of a week, attending daily. As others note, the street food is wonderful and Coyoacan neighborhood is a great place for your base.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:32 AM

My wife and I visited Mexico City last January. Fantastic trip. We stayed in the Polanco District and felt very safe. The Uber drvers were excellent. There is so much to see, in particular:

The Frida Kahlo museum (Blue House);
Museo Nacional de Antropologia (requires at least two days);
Palacio Nacional/Templo Meyor;
El Pendulo boostore;
Centro Cultural Bella Época (boostore and cultural center); and
Basilica of our Lady of Guadelupe.

The food is excellent. We relied on travel guides and ate very well.

Good luck!
Old 08-27-2017, 10:49 PM

For transport, Uber is amazingly convenient and cheap around Mexico City. For fine dining, Quintonil and Dulce Patria are worth your while, and El Mayor, while not in the same league, boasts the best view in the city: a terrace overlooking the Aztec ruins of the Templo Mayor. And for tourist attractions: there is the fine new Museo de Tolerancia right next to Bellas Artes which deals with the Holocaust with impressive pathos.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:38 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-26-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:34 PM

OP- did you ever make it out to Mexico City? feedback?
I am heading out there tomorrow, my belly is ready
Old 11-21-2017, 08:38 PM
kg

Some great suggestions above. A few others:

In Condesa, Taqueria Don Juan at Av Juan Escutia and Atlixco. For fine dining, Azul Condesa.

In Roma, Mercado Roma and Casa Lamm for upscale. Buna 42 in Plaza Río de Janeiro for coffee. Lots of precious but good places around too.

In Coyoacan, I think Pepe meant la Guadalupana which is a classic cantina. I would head a few doors down to the stands (inside) and get a savory pozole rojo con masisa. Also Mercado Coyoacan has some good stalls.

For adventure, go to Mercado Sonora (the witch’s market) but pickpocketing is not out of the question and if you are relatively unfazed by personal security, wander Tepito and la Lagunilla - but don’t do either of these things unless you are a seasoned traveler without concern for personal safety. It’s not certain peril or anything but I just want to give a disclaimer.

For questions about specific neighborhoods, places, and info, feel free to PM me. If things are busy, I may not be able to write a lot, but happy to help as I am able.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:22 PM

Thanks, I appreciate that
Old 11-21-2017, 09:46 PM

I did make it! Aside from Pujol, I would stick to smaller local places or street food. We went to Azul and they cater highly to gringos. We also did Pasillo de Humo and weren't that impressed.
GOTO CONTRAMAR THOUGH.

The Barragan house is amazing if you're into minimalist architecture, you probably need to have gotten tickets a while ago though.

We did the lucha liber thing and it was really fun. Awesome place to drink beers and eat cup-o-noodles with habenero salsa. Arena Mexico is where we went.

Xochimilco was really cool if you are going with a group. We basically drank a ton of beer on a boat all afternoon eating whatever vendors had to offer coming by.

We also did a bike tour. It was ok. Extremely draining trying to fight traffic and people on ****ty bikes, oh and it ended up being 6 hours...

For coffee I highly recommend Espresso Media Noche in Condesa. The employees speak English and are in tune with where to go. I wish we explored Roma more...

There's honestly too much to see / eat / drink so don't sweat it. We can't wait to go back!

Last edited by CDollarsign; 11-21-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:47 PM

PM me if you want a link to my google photo album from the trip.

Last edited by CDollarsign; 11-22-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
I did make it! Aside from Pujol, I would stick to smaller local places or street food. We went to Azul and they cater highly to gringos. We also did Pasillo de Humo and weren't that impressed.
GOTO CONTRAMAR THOUGH.

The Barragan house is amazing if you're into minimalist architecture, you probably need to have gotten tickets a while ago though.

We did the lucha liber thing and it was really fun. Awesome place to drink beers and eat cup-o-noodles with habenero salsa. Arena Mexico is where we went.

Xochimilco was really cool if you are going with a group. We basically drank a ton of beer on a boat all afternoon eating whatever vendors had to offer coming by.

We also did a bike tour. It was ok. Extremely draining trying to fight traffic and people on ****ty bikes, oh and it ended up being 6 hours...

For coffee I highly recommend Espresso Media Noche in Condesa. The employees speak English and are in tune with where to go. I wish we explored Roma more...

There's honestly too much to see / eat / drink so don't sweat it. We can't wait to go back!
As someone looking to go to Mexico City soon, this thread has been helpful. Thanks!