Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Things just happen sometimes, lets hope its not the 3s thing and my only non cracked bike, cracks too
Just keep an eye on that fork. Might want to get in line for the unicrown replacement soon...
Old 11-20-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I had a pacemaker implanted a year ago. Afterwards, I couldn't ride 20 minutes without having a meltdown, which is what precipitated the pacemaker in the first place. One hour rides were pointless exercises.

I won't bore you with the details, but numerous tests and pacemaker adjustments could not straighten things out.

Until this past September.

The doctor UNCHECKED ONE BOX IN THE PACEMAKER'S SOFTWARE.

Now I'm good, or as good as a mechanical-doping cyclist can be.
Awesome.

Does it sync with your Garmin?

I was a zipper kid so I get to make heart surgery jokes :-)

Glad things are looking up!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:11 PM
aka RAEKWON

well glad most of us are having a good year, well seems like we are all having a good year, bikes will be bikes but getting to riding again after getting a pacemaker, now that is the real deal.

The crack, as ZZY mentioned (he is the first I messaged when this happened), is in the joint between the seatpost ISP and the TT. And Rob, from just looking at the pictures thinks it will involve tube replacing. So I am going to take advantage of this and go traditional seatpost. I do love the ISP on this bike, don't get me wrong but I much rather always have a seatpost.

As far as painting goes, I do love this color and might stay with it. I just talked to Rob and might not be able to paint the fork, if I paint the fork, it won't be able to be powder coat and I can't afford wet paint right now so unfortuntely the fork will remain black I could always paint the bike black but that is real boring.

As far as shifting, I just want to try something else, feel like I want this to feel like a brand new bike since I will have to pay a bit to get this fixed. Etap sounds awesome, even as a campy guy.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:38 PM

Started having right hip pain in July. I could ride some but the pain afterwards was bad enough it kept me off the bike for the most part. Diagnosed with osteoarthritis in late August. Total hip replacement a couple of weeks ago. So this has not been a good year. But such is life, sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. It's gonna be a good spring.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Barely Hanging On

I survived a two-week vacation (though with a few times on a rental bike) without completely having lost all fitness, so that was a plus.

I had a lot of fun riding and am completely fine with having logged fewer miles in the past. I've even made new cycling friends this year, which is really great.

I'm convinced more than ever that there is no better way to start the day with a bike ride followed by coffee with friends. Plus, coffee just tastes better after a ride.

While I wish I were faster and thinner, I'm still having fun after all these years.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:49 PM
Classics Fan

This year started off with a lot of promise. First half was pretty good. Sometime late summer, I pulled a muscle in my back pretty severely, and have been nursing it off and on (never fully recovered, and pulled it again several times). So that has been tough. Then in the last couple months, some life stuff has gotten in the way, both limiting time on the bike, and some unexpected financial stuff that has thrown a wrench into some things I would have liked to do.

Overall, just a hard second half to the season.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:55 AM

Truly disheartening on the English, and also sorry to hear of other Paceliners' physical tribulations.
I know the first crack on the Hampsten had me inspecting my own, which, aside from the fork is pretty much the identical twin, down the color and graphics. Sounds like you are getting the English repaired. When you get that back after not having it for a time it will be like getting a brand new bike (based on my experience below), so you have that to look forward to.

My bike year was good. Lots of riding of all sorts. Lots tandem. New gravel/all road bike with Compass 58 tubeless, but had to admit that, despite not getting much love from me, nothing beats my Rawland Stag for distance rides.

In other bike news I spotted this weird weld/hack job on our Cannondale tandem. I was able to bring it to the bike shop (out of town) when the C'dale rep was visiting and he immediately and without question ordered a warranty replacement frame. So we got brand new frame and fork. Since it was warranty the bike shop had to do the build. Between that and coordinating trips down there we were without the bike for about a month so it indeed felt like getting a brand new bike. All shiny and clean.

Entered the tubeless realm on both single bike and tandem. Between tubular tires on my Hampsten (almost two years) and tubeless on the gravel and tandem, I have yet to get a flat on the road. (As you can see I am not superstitious.) I pulled a piece of wire out of the SBH on a ride and it hissed air for a few seconds before sealing up. Twice on the tubulars I pulled glass or nail out of the tire after a ride and fixed with sealant.

Last edited by marciero; 11-21-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:30 AM

My year has been mixed--bad start with surgery and recovery, just started to get rolling, and was taken off the board by another bout of Lyme. Still though less dramatic than heart stuff, and even if I couldn't ride, discovering structural flaws in a favourite bike is a heartbreak--hope it turns out OK.

Despite the health challenges, I also got to futz around, put two of my project bikes together, sell a bunch of stuff on the 'Bay because I wasn't good for much else, so the definitely goes into the 'mixed' column.

My current onslaught is with vehicles--unrepairable flat on my wife's front tire, and on the way back from dropping it off for repair yesterday morning, I hit a rather large deer and really banged up my truck. So we went from 2 vehicles to 1 with a handicap (temp spare is on it)...

Life--it has its challenges, but it still probably better than the alternative

Last edited by paredown; 11-21-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:46 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Nobody has yet suggested that one bike caught it's crack from the other? I think there are germs that causes cracks in frames, passed from one frame to another. I also think that there are specific germs for each frame material. I base this on having found a crack in a friends Serotta Ti, then just weeks later finding a crack in my own Serotta Ti. I had left his frame hanging in my basement just feet from where mine was stored. That's like spending a day with a class full of first graders and expecting not to get sick... The other Ti frame that came into my basement, a 20 year old Merlin cracked a week later. It's frame crack germs, I'm sure of it. Where you store your bike should be quarantined, maybe you can get your state to chip in for the clean-up.

I just realized that a bicycle bio-terrorist could wipe out the bike industry as we know it with a small amount of carbon frame crack germs...
Old 11-21-2017, 07:31 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
Nobody has yet suggested that one bike caught it's crack from the other? I think there are germs that causes cracks in frames, passed from one frame to another. I also think that there are specific germs for each frame material. I base this on having found a crack in a friends Serotta Ti, then just weeks later finding a crack in my own Serotta Ti. I had left his frame hanging in my basement just feet from where mine was stored. That's like spending a day with a class full of first graders and expecting not to get sick... The other Ti frame that came into my basement, a 20 year old Merlin cracked a week later. It's frame crack germs, I'm sure of it. Where you store your bike should be quarantined, maybe you can get your state to chip in for the clean-up.

I just realized that a bicycle bio-terrorist could wipe out the bike industry as we know it with a small amount of carbon frame crack germs...

I totally believe that and that is why my next bike will be carbon

but on all seriousness, they don't even hang out with each other much, one I take to NYC when I work and the other one stays at home, maybe they just missed each other too much.

@everyone - seems like everything is all good with everyone. We have ups and downs, things get solved and we get ready to deal with next year. hopefully with less material cracks.... at least my car is still in fine shape, but I might have just jinxed myself
Old 11-21-2017, 07:32 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by keevon View Post
Just keep an eye on that fork. Might want to get in line for the unicrown replacement soon...
jeez, I am going to look at it before my ride today, no joke.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
jeez, I am going to look at it before my ride today, no joke.
Better safe than sorry. Bad luck with the cracks. Started my year with a total hip replacement and had an excellent recovery but my fitness ( and weight) are crappy. Will end up between 900 and 1k miles. Winter weight training and boring trainer miles I loathe but need. Keep the rubber down R3 and have a better 2018.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:12 AM
ZhugeLiang

R3 pal, you have an unusual year with cracked frames that's for sure.

I bet if I let you look at the bikes in my garage, it won't take you long to find one that has cracks. I have an "open door" policy for any paceline pals who would like to visit but in your case, I may need to revise that policy a bit.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:47 AM

My year has been OK but I had no goals and backed way off from last year... trying to get some balance. If I manage to get out and ride a bunch in december I'll finish the year at about 2000 miles, about half last year.

I missed a bunch of riding the last month from being sick.. ended up with a sinus infection + ear inflammation and I've been on antibiotics the past week. Bummer, as I hate missing some of this late fall early riding especially in the woods.

I had a nagging wrist thing for the past few years one of my goals was to get that to finally go away 100% and I mostly accomplished that. Seemed really hard to get it to go away with a lot of riding in my schedule.

I didn't really break anything at all this year... knowing I was going to back off I've avoided riding in bad weather.

One of the nice things about cracks and such is if you have big box brand bikes like Trek/Specialized you can go get another one really fast and not cry about it. Good warranties and local dealers who can order you up a replacement and get you back on the road really fast.