Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 10:46 PM
n - 1

Sealant

I’ve read a few threads on tire sealant but most were centered around everything but performance.

I’ve been an advocate for Truckerco for years. I don’t know if they changed their formula lately, but just the other day, I ran through some goatheads (on my dropbar MTB). Both front and rear would not seal. Latex mess everywhere.

My thought is to go back to Stan’s. Perhaps try the Race version.

Others I should consider? I had Stan’s years ago and it performed well enough. I’d imagine they’re as good, if not better.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:08 PM

Note that for Stan's race, you're supposed to inspect the sealant every 2-3 weeks for best performance. You also can't inject it through the valve core.

I use regular Stan's because it works decently and every store/shop has it.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:24 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm View Post
Note that for Stan's race, you're supposed to inspect the sealant every 2-3 weeks for best performance.
I know nothing about tube / tire sealant - how does one "inspect" it?
Old 03-08-2024, 04:58 AM

Orange seal all day every day
Old 03-08-2024, 06:06 AM

Stan’s race works very well, but as noted above needs to be replaced every 2-3 weeks.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:56 AM
n - 1

Thanks for heads up. Ok, never mind on the Race.

Maybe I’ll check out Orange seal. I tried it once 5-6 years ago but never got a puncture to “test” it out. Or perhaps it worked that well 🤯
Old 03-08-2024, 06:57 AM

Orange seal regular seals larger punctures, but the endurance version lasts longer before more needs to be added. The two versions can be mixed. Small bottles come with a dip stick to check the level. I get very few punctures, but it sealed a double puncture from a large construction staple with no problem. Just had to add some CO2.

Last edited by Dave; 03-08-2024 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:59 AM
Administrator

I think maybe it was you who recommended the Truckerco a while back and I am using it in a few gravel wheels with no problems. It's definitely cost effective. I wouldnt give up on it after one incident, maybe just a fluke/bad luck. Did the holes look abnormally large? That's an odd one, goathead punctures are exactly the kind of things tubeless sealant are supposed to take care of.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:24 AM

I like orange seal endurance.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:32 AM

I switched to truckerco a few months ago after reading feedback here, and was surprised how thin it was and disappointed by the strong ammonia smell after using sealants for the last few years that don’t have it. I hope it works when I get a larger puncture!

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 03-08-2024 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
Orange seal all day every day
Same. Moved to the Endurance formula when that came out.

Should we have a tubeless sealant sticky that is just the results of a search of this site using the term "tubeless sealant"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I switched to it a few months ago after reading feedback here, and was surprised how thin it was and disappointed by the strong ammonia smell after using sealants for the last few years that don’t have it. I hope it works when I get a larger puncture!
It could be just me, but more than one sealant has been mentioned in this thread so I don't know what "it" refers to in your post.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:16 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I think maybe it was you who recommended the Truckerco a while back and I am using it in a few gravel wheels with no problems. It's definitely cost effective. I wouldnt give up on it after one incident, maybe just a fluke/bad luck. Did the holes look abnormally large? That's an odd one, goathead punctures are exactly the kind of things tubeless sealant are supposed to take care of.
It’s definitely cheaper and worked well for me over the years. The goatheads were typical size. One puncture in each tire. I usually just spin it and it seals right up. This time, it just sprayed everywhere. So I stopped the wheel with the hole at 6 o’clock in hopes the sealant would do its job. But it ended up with a pool of sealant on the garage floor. So I left it overnight that way, in hopes the sealant would at least coagulate/clog overnight. No go.
I know Stan’s uses the little granules. I may try some glitter or similar as I still have around 16oz left.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Stan’s race works very well, but as noted above needs to be replaced every 2-3 weeks.
I have tires I've pulled off a bike hanging on the wall for 6 months and still had stans race pooled at the bottom of the tire.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:30 AM

Stan's with a bit of dollar store sparkle. Faaaaabulous.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
That is crazy. I suppose that is why they call it race. I bought it by accident once it and it poured out in massive chunks. It seems I maybe had a bad batch but I just threw it away without using.