Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 03:53 PM

Deraileur Pricing

Just sold this for $5 locally. I’ve seen similar ones online priced way higher though. Wondering how ppl decide on their listing prices or if I just sold mine for less than it could have gone for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2021, 03:57 PM

Yes thats probably cheap but its an old item that you likely was not going to use?

The best way to determine value of older (and new) stuff is to look at sold auctions on ebay. But if its 5 or 15 or even 20 is it worth the trouble to sell on ebay? Its a factor to consider at least.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1
Old 03-03-2021, 04:22 PM

RD's seem to go for cheap. I have a bunch in a drawer and don't even bother trying to sell them. I may need one to go on a bike for a flip or use for testing a drivetrain I am working on for a friend to see if his is twisted or worn out. Not worth the hassle of ebay unless it's something like a pristine 7700 or late model upper tier 11 speed.
Nice looking Campy stuff I will sell if it's in good shape. My 2¢ worth.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:52 PM

I sold a half dozen DA 8/9/10 deraillers on ebay in the last 6 months. They went from $50 - $70 each. All were well used but in good condition with no crash damage.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:58 PM

Parts like these can go for quite a range depending on how patient you are as a seller. No one is going to impulse buy an old 8 speed derailleur, but plenty of people are going to break theirs and look for a replacement. If you want to be patient and wait for someone who needs it, you can get more. If you want it out the door quickly, $5 is probably reasonable.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:03 PM

Older MTB RDs are cool because they have normal pull ratios and let you convert friction / 8 / 9 / 10 to larger cassettes. I’ve noticed that prices have gone up on old XT and XTR RDs.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:13 PM

Truth be told, I'd give it away for free, if not just throw it in the trash, with a decided preference for the former if I knew the recipient wouldn't turn around and sell it. I guess I don't appreciate or care what it's worth.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:18 PM

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Truth be told, I'd give it away for free, if not just throw it in the trash, with a decided preference for the former if I knew the recipient wouldn't turn around and sell it. I guess I don't appreciate or care what it's worth.
I have a bunch of old stuff, stuff like your RD, if you need a specific part, you will be paying more. That said, this RD is nothing special, yours was in better condition, likely just a case of a buyer needing the part and willing to part with the green to make it happen.

Frankly, I hold on to this stuff, particularly if I have a bike built with the group as a spare, knowing it may not be available when I need it.

I think you did ok. Also, I never check prices once I have bought or sold, really dont want to go find out that I could have done better.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:13 PM

I've sold several of those here and on eBay. Never had a problem getting $25-40 for one in good shape and they sold quickly.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:42 PM

Depending on where you are in life, it might not be worth the time necessary to sell at a higher price. The higher the price, the more people ask questions and string you along...at some point, I figure it's worth 15-20 minutes of my time (max) to get rid of something like this, so $5 (one quality beer) is just about right.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:04 PM

It's not very pretty, but doesn't appear to have any damage that would limit function. I'd say $25-35 is the range. Versatile RD that can be used for road, touring, or MTB with a bunch of different shifters. Sweet spot for Shimano in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by citycyclist247 View Post
Just sold this for $5 locally. I’ve seen similar ones online priced way higher though. Wondering how ppl decide on their listing prices or if I just sold mine for less than it could have gone for.
Many look at completed on ebay..throw in how much they may want and compare.

'Whatever the market will bear'.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:51 AM

I keep few such items in drawer in case someone from neighborhood comes by needing help. Nice way to make friends
Old 03-20-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb266 View Post
Depending on where you are in life, it might not be worth the time necessary to sell at a higher price. The higher the price, the more people ask questions and string you along...at some point, I figure it's worth 15-20 minutes of my time (max) to get rid of something like this, so $5 (one quality beer) is just about right.

Yeah this was my reasoning. If I know something is highly sought after then I’m willing to wait for the right buyer. It takes energy to deal with ppl making offers, negotiating at the meetup(petpeeve) and meeting at a halfway point. I mase $5 and lost little energy, time and peace of mind for this.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Yes thats probably cheap but its an old item that you likely was not going to use?

The best way to determine value of older (and new) stuff is to look at sold auctions on ebay. But if its 5 or 15 or even 20 is it worth the trouble to sell on ebay? Its a factor to consider at least.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

Thanks! I’ve heard of this feature but never figured out how to use it.

A lot of those looked like they were in good/excellent condition.