Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2017, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I told him he needs to get an engineering degree of some kind. I have a hard time picturing him doing BUDS. I think he ought to do submarines like I did during the first 15 years of my career.
bill,

i've followed your posts here and across the hall about your son. congratulations to both of you for all he's accomplished up to this point.

i know you know this, but try not to steer him too hard, especially when it comes to submarine service - that's not a career you want to be "talked into".

some decisions a man needs to make for himself.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
bill,

i've followed your posts here and across the hall about your son. congratulations to both of you for all he's accomplished up to this point.

i know you know this, but try not to steer him too hard, especially when it comes to submarine service - that's not a career you want to be "talked into".

some decisions a man needs to make for himself.

He's wanted the Naval Academy for a few years. I'm helping to open some doors and then it's all on him. He thinks he knows what he wants, but he'll need to get some experience to make his decision. All I know is submarines, carriers, nuclear power, and some of shipyard engineering world (EDO), he'll have people all around him for influence, he'll find his way.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:56 PM

Good luck to your son on securing an appointment. I’m a USNA grad, retired with 21 years of service as a Naval Aviator. I have a very Navy family ... 2 of my brothers and a sister are USNA grads also. Sounds like you have things well in hand, but if I can be of any help please contact me.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy2964 View Post
Good luck to your son on securing an appointment. I’m a USNA grad, retired with 21 years of service as a Naval Aviator. I have a very Navy family ... 2 of my brothers and a sister are USNA grads also. Sounds like you have things well in hand, but if I can be of any help please contact me.
I think it's just a matter of USNA getting everything he's recently accomplished. Prior to December, he had a Presidential Nom, a 30 ACT, was medically qualified, and had done well on the fitness test during Summer Seminar. In mid December, he scored a 34 ACT and got a Congressional Nom. I think it's just a matter of time.

I was a Mustang, E-1 to E-8 as a nuke submarine electrician and then O-1E to O-4 as a nuke LDO. SSBN728, SSN671, SSBN626, SSN683, CVN69, CVN71, CVN68, and AS39. I visited the Academy once. Little did I know the first ship of my 27 year career would be the newest.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:03 PM

Good luck to your son!

Buddy of mine was SSN-653. Twenty knots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
He's wanted the Naval Academy for a few years. I'm helping to open some doors and then it's all on him. He thinks he knows what he wants, but he'll need to get some experience to make his decision. All I know is submarines, carriers, nuclear power, and some of shipyard engineering world (EDO), he'll have people all around him for influence, he'll find his way.