Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 05-16-2021, 01:07 PM

Sizing old bikes

Below is my current bike which fits well. As I look at other bikes, I see people give recommended heights for their bikes that seem off to me. I know people can be wrong but I just wanted to put this out there. Judging by what you see below, where should I be size-wise? I typically have 70mm from mid-saddle to bars and 74cm from BB to top of seat post. SO I would think that I could ride a 58cm seatpost bike but they always feel huge, even when I throw on a shorter stem. I hopped on a 52cm Nishiki International the other day that felt good. BUT THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: png PublicKirk.png (112.1 KB, 123 views)
Old 05-16-2021, 02:07 PM

Size your prospective bikes by comparing TOP TUBE lengths rather than seat tube lengths. Seek something similar.

Seat tube length, while mostly proportional to top tube length, is now a confusing spec because sloping top tubes and "compact" geometry muddied the waters.

Also, I would suggest comparing bikes by using the new-ish specs, STACK and REACH.

Based on the numbers you provide, I would expect the Nishiki to be too small for you, both in the seat tube length and top tube.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:10 PM

Size your prospective bikes by comparing TOP TUBE lengths rather than seat tube lengths. Seek something similar.

Seat tube length, while mostly proportional to top tube length, is now a confusing spec because sloping top tubes and "compact" geometry and muddied the waters.

Also, I would suggest comparing bikes by using the new-ish specs, STACK and REACH.

Based on the numbers you provide, I would expect the Nishiki to be too small for you, both in the seat tube length and top tube.

Lastly, the geometry print you provide doesn't match the actual setup of your bike. In the photo, it looks like the stem rises much higher than in the geometry print.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:55 AM

how/where did you generate that geometry diagram?
that looks very complete. I would love to do that for my various bikes.
Peter