Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Verbs4us, perhaps try a pedal system that has cleats with no moving parts.

With all due respect, the cleat in your photo has seen a hard life! You need cleats that are simple, with all the complexity in the pedal. Speedplay's are exactly the opposite of this.

Shimano, Time, and Look are all very appealing mainstream pedal systems with cleats that are chunks of metal and plastic with nothing to go wrong.
Interesting point about where the engineering sits. I used Looks for years and the squeaking of the cleats drove me to drink. As the cleats wore, the squeaking got progressively worse. Ok, this was the 1980s and 1990s. But the designs now look to be the same. I tried all kinds of lubes and eventually jumped ship to SP. Not impressed with what Wahoo has done. The new walkeable cleats have less rotation options on installation. Do they actually eat their own dog food over at Wahoo?
Old 09-26-2021, 01:12 AM

I use Time, but people love Shimano SPD SL's. They're supposed to be "Look done right."
Old 09-26-2021, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakatel_Luum View Post
I roe Speedplay for years, my advice buy some Time Pro's they're a better pedal/cleat system.
Or Keywin Carbon pedals - another excellent system.

A bit harder to find (Qarv Imports is the place in the US) but more than worth the extra effort to get them.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:38 PM

Haven't seen the Wahoo offering of the SP Zero pedal but I did not see any reduction in rotation with the switch to walkable cleats on my OG speedplays. Did I miss something?
Old 09-26-2021, 06:44 PM

I think it's how the cleat is designed. The old cleat design you could rotate a bit before torquing down the screws. On the new cleats, there is no latitude for rotation of the cleat itself. Just the adjustment screws.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Or Keywin Carbon pedals - another excellent system.

A bit harder to find (Qarv Imports is the place in the US) but more than worth the extra effort to get them.
Just watched a youtube vid on these...the rotation seems 'notched' when the guy was demonstrating it, didn't look smooth like speedplay, and also limited to 6 degrees.
For those of us with pelvic imbalance issues, the large free float of the speedplays is a huge plus.

I haven't seen the wahoo version in person, I hope it is essentially the same thing.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Just watched a youtube vid on these...the rotation seems 'notched' when the guy was demonstrating it, didn't look smooth like speedplay, and also limited to 6 degrees.
For those of us with pelvic imbalance issues, the large free float of the speedplays is a huge plus.

I haven't seen the wahoo version in person, I hope it is essentially the same thing.
Yes, they are limited to six degrees of rotational float but I have never had an issue with any notchiness in the float. The float can be tuned to the point that there's virtually zero resistance to it.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
I lube the cleats before each ride, use the torque device on the screws - still break them.
The day I have to lube my pedals before each ride is the day I find different pedals.