Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 02-25-2021, 06:41 PM

Cino 2021

I got word from the director at Cino that they will be planning an event for late this coming summer. I went two years ago (last year was cancelled) and had a great time on wonderful dirt roads with cool people eating the best food I've had in a very long time. Some people here expressed interest in going so i thought I'd share a link with some info just in case you have the urge to ride in Northern Montana this summer.

I'll be going for sure and will have a new vintage bike for the ride. should be fun.

dave

https://www.cinorider.com/
Old 02-26-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I got word from the director at Cino that they will be planning an event for late this coming summer. I went two years ago (last year was cancelled) and had a great time on wonderful dirt roads with cool people eating the best food I've had in a very long time. Some people here expressed interest in going so i thought I'd share a link with some info just in case you have the urge to ride in Northern Montana this summer.

I'll be going for sure and will have a new vintage bike for the ride. should be fun.

dave

https://www.cinorider.com/
I really hope I can make it - virus permitting and all that..
Old 02-26-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I really hope I can make it - virus permitting and all that..
It's a lot of rustic fun. The route is a bit over 100 miles for the two days and about 90 of that is on gravel....some butter smooth and some far from it. I rode 30 mm tires and they worked fine for me. My riding partner road 23's!! and he also did just fine. I wouldn't recommend that however.

Day one is either up or down with little flat but it's never steep. Day two is rolling/flat at the beginning until you get to "9 mile hill". I assumed it was the hill that you hit 9 miles into the ride....it's not....it's a 9 mile climb with a few steeper pitches to keep you honest. Not brutal but not a cake-walk either.

The lodging for the night is old Montana rustic. It's clean and tidy and at the same time it looks like most of the furnishings are from the 1950's.

The food....oh lord the food. They provide lunch and dinner on the first day and lunch is served in the middle of absolutely nowhere in the shadow of a waterfall. Simply breathtaking and the food is some of the finest I've ever eaten anywhere. Dinner is served at the host hotel and is every bit as good...and everyone dresses up for the occasion. Lot's of well dress handsome people.

Day two starts with breakfast and this is a fund raiser for a local group. Pancakes, sausage, hot coffee...etc. I think ti was $10 and worth every cent. Lunch day two is leftovers from the day one lunch and even more welcome. It's served under a tent again in the middle of nowhere and it's hard to not overeat.

The group dynamic is awesome. I rode my modern bike and I was politely teased for doing so but everyone was super cool....so one doesn't really have to have a vintage ride to take part. It's more fun if you do and will keep you from hearing jokes at your expense about indexed shifting.

Wonderful roads and route, cool people, cool bikes of all sorts, and lots of gourmet food, beer and wine. You could do a lot worse.

Can you tell that I'm looking forward to it?

Now I just need to get my new vintage bike back from Joe Bell (built way back when but never painted) so I can hang my vintage Mavic group on it.

dave
Old 04-26-2021, 10:25 AM

I've wanted to ride this for a long time so I'm glad it's still going. I'm in Canada so this won't be the year, but maybe 2022 I can talk my brother into doing it with me.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2021, 11:12 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Registration is now open.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cino-20...n-158682578865

Quote:
It is finally here! We are doing Cino this year and it continues to support Kalispell Montessori Elementary. It will be a little bit different this year (we all know why): lunch will be scaled back and more like a musette than a buffet and we are forgoing the Concours d’Elegance.

Fortunately nothing has changed about the location, the scenery, the camaraderie, or the experience (what I like to call exquisite suffering) – join us!!

We are offering early-bird pricing to the first 50 participants – order now! $105 for the first 50 tickets, $120 thereafter.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:54 AM

I'm still debating this one myself. The logistics for me are what I'm not sure about. That and the knees. I haven't done a real climb in two years due to knee issues. That said, I am back to riding normal again so will start tackling the mountains again in the next few days to see how it goes. I'm probably cutting it pretty close though to get a spot and to get a reservation that night. I have to have a CPAP to sleep so I need a room.

Then the only two eligible bikes are my Opus III and the Pashley Guvnor. Mountain Dave's already said the Guv'nor is eligible but I'd mostly likely throw some 700 x 30's on the Opus. It's only got a 42T small ring but I do think "lowest" gear would be better than the Guv,nor. Hmmmmm......

I've got a 7 speed clincher wheelset I took off of this one recently to put on those tubulars. I could mount the 700 x 30 to it and be good to go....I think.

A couple of years ago I'd have no doubts of using something like the Guv'nor but the climbing legs aren't what they used to be.

Still, it'd be pretty epic if I could get this heavy ol' 3 speed up the 9 mile climb.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:23 AM

Any reports?

This link was posted on the CR list: https://www.flickr.com/photos/193222...57719771667641. Looks like a fun event and beautiful scenery.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:48 PM

I’m working on a blog post that should be ready soon. I’ll post a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk