Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 05-10-2021, 05:48 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
can i talk one of you guys into picking me up in the morning?
I would totally pick you up Nick but I got a new car and only have 1 car rack right now and truck too small :/
Old 05-10-2021, 06:13 PM

How long are you guys estimating the 55mi ride will take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2021, 07:07 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
How long are you guys estimating the 55mi ride will take?

I don't think anyone is trying to race through it, stop at all the stops and hang. I will say probably 4-6 hours haha
Old 05-12-2021, 08:23 PM
Administrator

weather is looking pretty decent!

there's not much info on the rest stops that i could easily see. i'm planning on taking 2 full water bottles and not much else, and hoping for the best ?
Old 05-12-2021, 09:23 PM
Post Mod-ern

I am shooting photos for Dieter as I ride . . .

. . . so I rode the 22 mile route and then some yesterday afternoon to do some scouting and recon for photo spots.

Tate Hill is a monster. It took me two hours to ride the first 11 miles, and that's including my (brief) stops to shoot scouting pics and the considerable hike-a-bike time on Tate Hill. The largest hill is on Tate Hill between the end of Bates Road (where the "normal" road turns to jeep road) over the top and down to the intersection with Murray Hollow Road, where you may think the hardest part is over.

But NOOOOOO!! You then are directed straight ahead over a stream crossing and over the second peak. I would rate large parts of both sections to be un-rideable with anything except a fat bike–and maybe not even then.

Once down to 313, I rode about two miles up Chunks Brook. 1.3 miles up Chunks Brook you will pass a house on your left that Google Maps euphemistically labels as "Pleasant Acres Potbellies." When I rode past, the aforementioned potbellies sounded as if each weigh at least 300 pounds and they were trying to break through the walls of the barn to get to me. Just past that, three suitably vicious large, shaggy white dogs are chained up just barely out of the road. Running around in the road in front of the house were a quantity of chickens, large geese, turkeys, and one vocal peacock. on the main entrance porch (which looked like it hadn't been used as an entrance in many years) were approximately 3,417 chickens using the porch as their roost.

I rode away fast. And that’s just the first 14 miles! It is going to be an interesting day–if we survive.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 05-12-2021, 09:32 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
weather is looking pretty decent!

there's not much info on the rest stops that i could easily see. i'm planning on taking 2 full water bottles and not much else, and hoping for the best ?
I am going to bring a few snacks but thats my plan as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
. . . so I rode the 22 mile route and then some yesterday afternoon to do some scouting and recon for photo spots.

Tate Hill is a monster. It took me two hours to ride the first 11 miles, and that's including my (brief) stops to shoot scouting pics and the considerable hike-a-bike time on Tate Hill. The largest hill is on Tate Hill between the end of Bates Road (where the "normal" road turns to jeep road) over the top and down to the intersection with Murray Hollow Road, where you may think the hardest part is over.

But NOOOOOO!! You then are directed straight ahead over a stream crossing and over the second peak. I would rate large parts of both sections to be un-rideable with anything except a fat bike–and maybe not even then.

Once down to 313, I rode about two miles up Chunks Brook. 1.3 miles up Chunks Brook you will pass a house on your left that Google Maps euphemistically labels as "Pleasant Acres Potbellies." When I rode past, the aforementioned potbellies sounded as if each weigh at least 300 pounds and they were trying to break through the walls of the barn to get to me. Just past that, three suitably vicious large, shaggy white dogs are chained up just barely out of the road. Running around in the road in front of the house were a quantity of chickens, large geese, turkeys, and one vocal peacock. on the main entrance porch (which looked like it hadn't been used as an entrance in many years) were approximately 3,417 chickens using the porch as their roost.

I rode away fast. And that’s just the first 14 miles! It is going to be an interesting day–if we survive.

BBD
Lets hope thats as much of unridable stuff as there is and not 20 out of the 55 miles are walking ahha. Does look nice though.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I am going to bring a few snacks but thats my plan as well.

Lets hope thats as much of unridable stuff as there is and not 20 out of the 55 miles are walking ahha. Does look nice though.
Agree on -1 for non rideable sections.
It’s the one major weakness of Farmers Daughter.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:56 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Agree on -1 for non rideable sections.
It’s the one major weakness of Farmers Daughter.
I agree and this looks even gnarlier if there really are rock gardens haha. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy maybe a little section here and there of a quick walk a bike if that gets you to some awesome areas but miles on end is just not fun. I should probably go with bigger tires but don't think I want to pull the 42mm for the 48mm and have to redo sealant.

also they slowly been adding more information on stuff -

Aid Stations:

FULL GRAVEL - 11, 36, and 56 miles

MID GRAVEL - 11, 36 miles

MINI - 11 miles

ME NO LIKE GRAVEL - 17 miles

and

Due to the dispersed nature of the ride with start windows, we can simply use on-the-street parking for the event. Please use any legal parking space within the village of Cambridge. DO NOT BLOCK BUSINESSES, DRIVEWAYS OR FIRE HYDRANTS OR YOUR CAR WILL BE TOWED!!!. The start address is Argyle Brewing, 6 Broad Street, Cambridge, NY.

lol, as if not all 350 people will be showing up at the same time, so arrive early because parking is going to be bad...

Last edited by R3awak3n; 05-13-2021 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:47 AM
Administrator

ah, damn. i was hoping for a nice chill, casual ride, but it looks like we'll have our hands full in the first dozen miles.

let's see how it goes!
Old 05-13-2021, 08:34 AM

I may just pull out the Moots YBB for this one. I think it will be good enough for the majority of the ride since the majority is dirt/gravel and such. I may put 48mm knobbies on the Firefly, but not entirely sure yet? Not a fan of hike a bike, but it is what it is...

Old 05-13-2021, 08:45 AM

How big is the village?
Is there really enough street parking for all these people, with the majority arriving around 0800-0900 and staying parked for 6 hours?
Old 05-13-2021, 08:52 AM
Administrator

I guess the good news is we will all have bikes, so even if we have to park a mile away and ride over, better than walking.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
How big is the village?
Is there really enough street parking for all these people, with the majority arriving around 0800-0900 and staying parked for 6 hours?

They did it for years when the Tour of the Battenkill started and ended in Cambridge. Cars were parked at the high school a couple blocks from the center of town. I’m sure arrangements will be made.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
How big is the village?
Not much street parking in down town Cambridge to speak of. In the old Battenkill road race days we parked at the school, the med/rescue center on Gilbert Street (this is where I would park doing recon rides too) or the fields across the street from that.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:14 AM
aka RAEKWON

I bet they will have to figure something out because even though its not probably as many people as battenkill it is still 350 people right now and will probably get 50 or 100 more by the day of the ride.