Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 08-16-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post
Be interesting to see if you feel any difference between a current D.Kirk frame and a 30 year old D.Kirk frame Gorgeous bike
One thing that changed everything over 30 years is tubing design. This old/new bike has a 1" top tube that had super thin (for the time at least) wall thicknesses of .7/.5/.7.....The top tube on my current personal bike is much larger in diameter (1 1/4" vs 1") and the wall is much thinner (.5/.3/.5) so in the end the new tube is lighter and about 8 times stiffer.

The old bike very flexi compared to anything I make now and you can feel it once you start pedaling. The cool thing is that the new larger-yet-thinner tubes give a similar ride quality due to the very thin walls but the bike is much more able to take big power inputs.

It's a day and night difference. But are fun but the new bike is much quicker....much.

dave
Old 08-16-2021, 04:16 PM
NJ>TN>PDX...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
One thing that changed everything over 30 years is tubing design. This old/new bike has a 1" top tube that had super thin (for the time at least) wall thicknesses of .7/.5/.7.....The top tube on my current personal bike is much larger in diameter (1 1/4" vs 1") and the wall is much thinner (.5/.3/.5) so in the end the new tube is lighter and about 8 times stiffer.

The old bike very flexi compared to anything I make now and you can feel it once you start pedaling. The cool thing is that the new larger-yet-thinner tubes give a similar ride quality due to the very thin walls but the bike is much more able to take big power inputs.

It's a day and night difference. But are fun but the new bike is much quicker....much.

dave
Does the newer (harder?) steel and thinner walls dent any less potentially and comparitively?
Old 08-16-2021, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Love that color!!!!
Old 08-16-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Does the newer (harder?) steel and thinner walls dent any less potentially and comparitively?
The new tubes are much more dent resistant due to the greater hardness. Both 853 and 953 are many times more dent resistant. Despite my abusing my gravel bike (made of 953) for years through bad gravel and crashes it looks like new.

Old tubes like 531, SLX, 753....etc dent if you look at them wrong but the new stuff is so damn tough.

Day and night difference.

dave
Old 08-16-2021, 04:55 PM

Sweet Build Dave, that should be a great event, and the Mavic group is too cool!
Old 08-16-2021, 04:57 PM

Maybe “slower”, but so elegant….
Old 08-16-2021, 08:18 PM

Lovely color, elegant piece of work….good enough to pull out of the basement and paint!

«*.I guess I should have started the build earlier! «* Hah!
Old 08-17-2021, 07:36 AM

Now I know why you were on the hunt for the mavic group, love the crank and headset.

Hopefully I can justify a new bike before you retire. Please keep building for at least 5 more years.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:07 AM
Everything is connected

That is a lean, mean, 3 dancing banana riding machine…nice work Dave!
Old 08-21-2021, 05:13 PM
needs adult supervision

The green paint is beyond gorgeous. And the whole build just sings. When you ride it, forza!
Old 08-22-2021, 12:19 AM

great looking bike Dave and Joe.
Did Jim Kish ever comment on the similarity of tht particular branding? I remember when you noted it and moved on.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
great looking bike Dave and Joe.
Did Jim Kish ever comment on the similarity of tht particular branding? I remember when you noted it and moved on.
Good question -

When I was in my mid-teens I made custom skateboards and each one had hand-drawn artwork on them. The “4 circles” Kirk artwork was first used on these boards. It was about 1978 or so.

When I started my own bike brand in 2003 I needed artwork for the bikes and kept coming back to the work I used on skateboards back in the day…I then reworked the proportions to fit on bike tubes and had them printed. A few years into running my business I got a note from Jim Kish telling me that I had to immediately stop using the 4 Circles artwork on my bikes because it was too close to his own artwork. At the risk of sounding disrespectful….I didn’t know of Jim’s awesome Ti bikes or his artwork and seeing the similarity was a big surprise to me. His artwork and mine were very similar in their basic concept. He was very unhappy and assumed that I had ripped him off. While this was understandable it wasn’t the case.

I couldn’t afford to just drop my original artwork so it was a year or two before I could get new art designed and printed. Flash forward to now….when it came to putting artwork on this new-old bike I tossed around different ideas. I made it while working at Serotta so using those logos was a possibility….but it shared nothing with Serotta and it was an “after school” project of sorts so using that didn’t seem right. In a way this bike feels like the first “Kirk” to me. The lug cutting and stay cap shapes were my own as was all of the geometry. In the end it felt like using the 4 Circles logos I designed more than 10 years before I built this Kirk #001 was the right choice. And I was lucky that I still had some of the original decals in safe keeping. It looks just like I hoped it would in my mind’s eye.

It’s fun to see that old artwork again. It reminds me of all the time I spent with colored markers drawing on the bottom of custom skateboard I’d made when I was in high school. Good times.

dave
Old 08-26-2021, 12:54 AM

Gorgeous, down to every detail. Hope to get a chance to see it in person this weekend. A few of us, also from Bozeman, are getting our old bikes ready to ride in the Cino for the first time.

Heading over Friday afternoon.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maj View Post
Gorgeous, down to every detail. Hope to get a chance to see it in person this weekend. A few of us, also from Bozeman, are getting our old bikes ready to ride in the Cino for the first time.

Heading over Friday afternoon.
Cool - I'm also heading up Friday afternoon so I'll see you at check-in Friday or on saturday morning.

dave
Old 08-26-2021, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Dave -- Thanks for sharing the additional details...what a cool bike and story. I've always liked your original logo