Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2021, 10:14 AM

Washington state

Hi All -

Have a trip visiting in-laws upcoming and curious on any recommended Seattle area must-rides? Road bike with 28mm tires. Will be based in Tacoma but can travel to the surrounding area depending on desirability of rides.

To expand on things, we might consider relocating to somewhere in Washington state in the future, most likely the West side/greater Seattle area. If access to really good road-riding was a priority, would there be a consensus location or locations that would be good to explore and get a feel for?

I know that second question is pretty open-ended but we are just in the exploratory stage at the moment. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:28 AM
I need you cool.

There was a recent thread about rides arounds Seattle

I am not so familiar with Tacoma area....but look for rides that head out thru Buckley and to Black Diamond. Pretty rural area and very pretty....and you get rewarded with a stop at the "world famous" Black Diamond Bakery.

I did a ride out there where we crossed over the Green River Gorge....that was pretty impressive.

As far as good riding on the western side of the state....pretty much anywhere between Bellingham and Vancouver, WA.

Cheers.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:33 AM

These guys. https://www.twbc.org/

I lived in WA State for much of my Navy career, the Tacoma club does quality events and nice routes.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:32 AM
what's a little rust?

What bigbill said … I’ve not yet participated in a Tacoma Wheelmen ride but I’ve looked at their routes. I used to ride just north of Tacoma, and from what I know their routes look smart (as in good road selection) and fun.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:48 PM

I don’t know Tacoma area, specifically, but in general it honestly depends how allergic to climbing you are. Some of the best riding out here will have you going up and down quite a bit. There are lots of nice roads out in East Renton Highlands, Issaquah, Fall City, Carnation, Index, Monroe. Mercer Island is a lovely 16 mile route. Bainbridge Island has some nice hilly, but rewarding riding. It’d be a drive to get up there, but Whidbey Island, imo, is some of the best road riding to be had in western WA. Again, hilly, but you could easily ride a century or more out there of quiet and scenic roads.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:54 PM
Meh

Bellingham and environs are a mountain bike paradise but that wasn’t your question.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:56 PM
Meh

P.S. You will need a fender bike if you’re going to want to ride road more than 5 months out of the year.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:37 PM
cnighbor2

Tacoma

to Tacoma Narrows bridge to Gig Harbor to ferry to top Vashon Island to to bottom island and ferry back to Tacoma
Old 10-01-2021, 08:32 AM

If you enjoy climbing and spectacular views the Mt Rainer sunrise road is a must do. Park on rt 410 or at Crystal Mountain and ride up to the access road.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Bellingham and environs are a mountain bike paradise but that wasn’t your question.
We've got pretty decent road riding too, but don't tell anybody.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:43 AM
Total Fred

I'm in Seattle. Feel free to ping me when you're in town if you want to get out for a ride.

Tai