Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2021, 11:58 AM

I’m sorry if I missed the answer or the information to pull together to answer my own question.

Would it be possible to use the Ekar RD with a 12-, 11-, or even 10-speed shifter using a cassette that matches the shifter (e.g., 11-speed shifter and 11-speed cassette)? I’m just pondering various 1x setups.

Thanks in advanced for any information and being patient if stupid question.

AHC
Old 10-05-2021, 02:45 PM

Tried searching this thread to no avail.

I have been riding the group on one bike since May and only ridden ca 2500km and the front brake lever needs to now be pulled in all the way before I get any power from the pads to the disc and still not enough to stop me. This has been the case for ca 2 weeks and I swapped brake pads today just to make sure there was not an issue there. No change.

Doesnt make sense that the system would need bleeding already - right?

I tried adjusting free stroke however I am not sure I am doing it correctly as there is no S or L (short or long) on the inside of the lever next to the adjustment screw hole and uncertain how far you can turn this screw.

Campagnolos non ekar specific video states 180 degrees but this amount makes little to no difference. I have also adjusted reach on the lever to see if there is any change - but no.

Any tips? What am I missing?
Old 10-05-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmackey View Post

I have been riding the group on one bike since May and only ridden ca 2500km and the front brake lever needs to now be pulled in all the way before I get any power from the pads to the disc and still not enough to stop me. This has been the case for ca 2 weeks and I swapped brake pads today just to make sure there was not an issue there. No change.

I had the same thing happen with an Ultegra brake caliper. When I examined it closely, I noticed a tiny puff of the mineral oil came out with each hard pull around that 7mm bleed screw (oil puff was so small you could barely notice). Turns out that this is not totally uncommon and they immediately replaced the caliper under warranty. Check to see if you are filled with hydro fluid.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmackey View Post

I tried adjusting free stroke however I am not sure I am doing it correctly as there is no S or L (short or long) on the inside of the lever next to the adjustment screw hole and uncertain how far you can turn this screw.

Campagnolos non ekar specific video states 180 degrees but this amount makes little to no difference. I have also adjusted reach on the lever to see if there is any change - but no.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Sho...holm%2C+Sweden
Old 10-06-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Si si....
of the shops listed on their site - closest has little actual experience with Campagnolo and stopped selling it maybe 8 years ago. The most experienced Campagnolo shop “close by” has not been able to get any Ekar groups and has no experience of them yet (I told him what brakepads were compatible) and it is of a distance that makes it inconvenient (I would have to rent a car) so thought I would try to get some guidance from this thread.

Failing that I will of course take it to a shop

Last edited by dpmackey; 10-06-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahumblecycler View Post
I’m sorry if I missed the answer or the information to pull together to answer my own question.

Would it be possible to use the Ekar RD with a 12-, 11-, or even 10-speed shifter using a cassette that matches the shifter (e.g., 11-speed shifter and 11-speed cassette)? I’m just pondering various 1x setups.

AHC
I believe that the answer is, unfortunately, no. From everything that I have read, and I have tried to read everything, Ekar is not compatible with any other Campagnolo shifters or derailleurs in any combination.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

AHC
Probably not but EKAR is so new, I doubt anybody(any shop) has had the opportunity to build a 11s bike, say and try the 13s rear der. A look inside the 13s shifter 'may' tell a story..send me one and I'll take it apart and let ya know.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:31 AM

I am looking into Ekar as a replacement for my current GRX mechanical 1x drivetrain. My rides in Southern California cover pavement and a few very steep dirt sections, and the 13 speed range of Ekar would be a meaningful improvement in both low and high gearing compared to my current setup.

Now that folks have had more time to put miles on Ekar, how is it holding up?

Is it sensitive to staying in adjustment, especially under conditions of vibrations and jostling that comes from off road riding? Since it has 13 speeds, I would imagine it is more sensitive to cable tension, limit screws, etc needing to stay within a more narrow range of parameters.

Last edited by jmr_santa_fe; 10-14-2021 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-14-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr_santa_fe View Post
I am looking into Ekar as a replacement for my current GRX mechanical 1x drivetrain. My rides in Southern California cover pavement and a few very steep dirt sections, and the 13 speed range of Ekar would be a meaningful improvement in both low and high gearing compared to my current setup.

Now that folks have had more time to put miles on Ekar, how is it holding up?

Is it sensitive to staying in adjustment, especially under conditions of vibrations and jostling that comes from off road riding? Since it has 13 speeds, I would imagine it is more sensitive to cable tension, limit screws, etc needing to stay within a more narrow range of parameters.

I’ve got about 1,500 miles in on my Ekar group and sounds like I am riding similar terrain to you. Those miles have mostly been on single, double track and gravel roads will lots of aggressive (15%-20%) ups and downs. So far no problems at all. The group has performed flawlessly with little to no adjustment. I’d buy it again in a heartbeat.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibran View Post
I’ve got about 1,500 miles in on my Ekar group and sounds like I am riding similar terrain to you. Those miles have mostly been on single, double track and gravel roads will lots of aggressive (15%-20%) ups and downs. So far no problems at all. The group has performed flawlessly with little to no adjustment. I’d buy it again in a heartbeat.
Thanks for the reply. The dirt portion of my rides covers a wide spectrum, from nicely maintained hard-packed gravel paths to really uneven terrain with ruts, sand, smooth rock, loose dirt, washboard, off camber sections, etc. Even the short climbs at 15% plus are really hard and sometimes beyond my ability given the 1:1 ratio of my current 42/11-42 GRX setup. But those same rides will involve 10+ miles on PCH and other nice pavement, including descents, at which point I'm spinning out on the 42/11 combination. Hence I am thinking about the right setup that can cover such a large range of surfaces within the same ride.

That gets to the appeal of Ekar, because I could do a chainring and cassette combination that would be the equivalent of adding a cog to both sides of my current GRX setup.

It does create a few additional complications, as I would need to figure out a power meter setup and new wheels. I have a stages meter in the GRX left crank but those don't seem to be available for Ekar. I am partial to Chris King hubs but it looks like they dropped campy support a few years ago.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:

AHC
Some clown on weightweenies weirdly flamed me for not clarifying further, so here goes clarification, in case anyone is interested: My good buddy did in fact, despite my observations of differing cable pull, etc etc etc, try to do this on his (12 speed) bike, and we observed in person that it definitely did not work. On the other hand I did discover the Ingrid derailleur, check it out: https://ingrid.bike/product/rear-derailleur-rd-12r/
Old 10-14-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:

AHC
Check out what Angry did with his Rock Lobster:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=271942
Old 10-14-2021, 07:03 PM

Does Ekar fit on the "gravel wide" bottom bracket of gravel bikes such as the newer Moots Routt models? Or does it need to be on the normal width road style BB?
Old 10-14-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr_santa_fe View Post
Does Ekar fit on the "gravel wide" bottom bracket of gravel bikes such as the newer Moots Routt models? Or does it need to be on the normal width road style BB?
I think the BB is the same width (68mm), but you need to use GRX or SRAM Wide cranks to run the max tire clearance. Ekar chainline is 45.5mm vs 47.5 for SRAM Wide, I believe GRX is closer to 47mm.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:46 PM

Just entered an ekar group giveaway so I’ll be good 👍🏻