Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2024, 11:38 AM

Long rides on the summer solstice

Anyone else have this tradition? I'd love to hear stories and plans from those who partake or aspire.

I have a route mapped out for this year. 350 miles on 90% paved roads, around 23k (per RWGPS) to 16k (per Garmin) elevation gain. Plan is to finish in 24 hours. It'd be my longest day yet, having previously ridden 250 miles. I've worked hard on fitness the past couple years, especially over this winter, and feel great in that regard. Nutrition and mental fortitude will likely be the fun parts. Any tips?
Old 04-12-2024, 11:51 AM
#RYFB

We have an annual group solstice ride, nothing near the scale of yours. The ride starts at the bottom of Angeles Crest Highway around 5:30pm and climbs to the Mt. Wilson observatory, elevation around 6k'. The idea is for everyone to arrive by sunset, take a few group photos, then descend in the dark. I think this year may be the tenth (?) time we have done it, usually in the range of 60-100 riders, with one or two support vehicles to ensure safety on the descent.

It's quite a fun ride, except that there are always a few people who try to turn it into a race (both the climb and the descent), despite the lengthy pre-ride speech about doing it as a group
Old 04-12-2024, 12:37 PM

350 is a bit much here as well. I've got this route planned for the solstice. Rubber down at dawn, hopefully finish by dusk with multiple stops for refueling.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45730354
Old 04-12-2024, 12:47 PM

One of my favorite road races formerly took place as close as possible to the summer solstice. It was held on the Watkins Glen race track on the Saturday closest to the solstice. This enabled cars to use the track until very late in the afternoon before cyclists took the track to race. So much fun! Alas, another race consigned to history...

Greg
Old 04-12-2024, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Used to do the "Longest Day" NJ edition years ago. Ride from the northern most point in NJ to the southern most point. Great ride, and indeed, a long day!

Havent participated in quite a while though, I'd like to do it again.

Old 04-12-2024, 02:11 PM

Here in Albany, our club (CBRC) does its annual solstice ride in the evening. Start a bit earlier, 20 or so miles longer, more climbing, big pizza party at the end.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:32 PM

Full moon too, on 6/21, so if clear there's light to ride into the night! I always wanted to do the length of VT ride but I think that's likely beyond my ability these days. A bit over 200 miles and IIRC 12,000 ft.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:09 PM
Registered (ab)User

A former NYCC president used to organize a "Double Half-Century" group ride on every summer solstice: a 50 mile route starting at 5:30AM, and another 50 mile route starting at 5:30PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:57 AM

My friends and I have had the tradition of completing a solstice century for a while. For us the whole point is to fit a century ride into the time that would normally only allow for an evening ride. Always spicy.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:58 AM
but not really

There's a fun Boston to Provincetown ride that leaves around 4am and puts you in P-Town with plenty of time to enjoy the day before taking the ferry back to Boston harbor