Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2024, 09:30 PM
Kind of OK

Power2max question

I just scored a nice, used P2M Ngeco power meter and was wondering if the registration fee was worth it.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:01 AM

Was this the meter included in a new Cannindale? That’s the only one they should have an activation fee. Any other should just be a free online registration to your account.

Do you mean the fee to unlock L/R balance?
Old 04-27-2024, 06:43 AM

If you are talking about the $50 ish dollar fee to do the L/R metrics, I would pass unless you have a known issue there that you are going to work towards correcting.

My understanding is that most people have a slight imbalance in L/R power, but it isn't anything worth worrying about.

I never look at this metric.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:46 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
If you are talking about the $50 ish dollar fee to do the L/R metrics, I would pass unless you have a known issue there that you are going to work towards correcting.

My understanding is that most people have a slight imbalance in L/R power, but it isn't anything worth worrying about.

I never look at this metric.
I have a rather major imbalance there due to disc and other nerve issues. I'll watch to see what I need. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
I have a rather major imbalance there due to disc and other nerve issues. I'll watch to see what I need. Thanks.
It should be kept in mind that the Power2Max power meter (and any other spider based power meter) can't measure the the true right/left power balance. These power meters assume that all power generated when the right crank is descending is coming from the right leg, and all power generated when the left leg is descending is coming from the left leg, which ignores any power generated if either leg is is pulling up to any degree, or power loss if some of the power from the forward leg is used to raise the rear leg. As an example of the extreme case, if a rider takes their left foot off the left pedal and is pedalling with with the right leg only, then the R/L power balance should be 100/0. But if the rider pushes down with 80 lb. and pulls up with 20 lb. (right leg only), the Power2Max will indicate the power balance is 80/20. You can only get a true and accurate power balance with a dual sided crank arm or pedal based power meter.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
It should be kept in mind that the Power2Max power meter (and any other spider based power meter) can't measure the the true right/left power balance.
100x this. Any measurement of L/R balance on a spider-based power meter is not accurate.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
I have a rather major imbalance there due to disc and other nerve issues.
What would you do with an imbalance measurement if you had it?
Old 04-27-2024, 11:25 AM

I’ve dealt with a major imbalance due to a bad hip, since replaced. I used Garmin Rally pedals to track my improvement, and now I just use Stages left arm meters. Those are fine for me to gauge my total power consistently and cheaper for multiple bikes.

The Rally pedals are fine for power but a terrible pedal. There are better power pedal options, but I don’t think any of them are going to match top end pedals as pedals.