Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 06:10 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
Look at the bright side, at least they did not coal you. A little progress I guess.
lol, I had one of those trucks pass right by me. 2 huge chimneys behind me and they resisted the urge to coal me. progress indeed.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:59 AM
slower than you

The key here is school. It was great in April, May and June, without school traffic in the morning and afternoon. You realize what a major industry it is and how many people are employed. Right on cue, at about 2:25 PM, all hell breaks loose with thousands of Tiger moms driving large SUVs with steely determination. Gotta get to lacrosse practice! I'm selfishly hoping that my local districts go Zoom for this school year. Poor kids, but, quiet roads.

I'm in upper Fairfield county, btw, and bike over in upper Westchester most every ride. I dont think it's bad at all, although maybe I've gotten used to it. I did get coal rolled for the very first time up in horsey North Salem last month, which I thought, well, of all places.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
The key here is school. It was great in April, May and June, without school traffic in the morning and afternoon. You realize what a major industry it is and how many people are employed. Right on cue, at about 2:25 PM, all hell breaks loose with thousands of Tiger moms driving large SUVs with steely determination. Gotta get to lacrosse practice! I'm selfishly hoping that my local districts go Zoom for this school year. Poor kids, but, quiet roads.

I'm in upper Fairfield county, btw, and bike over in upper Westchester most every ride. I dont think it's bad at all, although maybe I've gotten used to it. I did get coal rolled for the very first time up in horsey North Salem last month, which I thought, well, of all places.
I love this quote. Mr. Pink might be my favorite "cantankerous sage" on the Forum. So much truth. As a parent, I'm really upset that my kids are being "Zoom" instructed...most likely for the entirety of the school year. Inevitably, progress in so many ways will be stymied.

That being said, as a cyclist, there are few drivers I fear more than soccer moms. Their precious progeny takes precedence over everything else.

Edit: "Lacrosse" practice? Man, that's gotta be the Blue Blood Soccer Mom on Roids. Look out.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 08-12-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:25 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
The key here is school. It was great in April, May and June, without school traffic in the morning and afternoon.
I have seen estimates that 1/3 of rush hour traffic is parents driving their kids to school. I believe it, I live close enough to a school to see it. They even felt compelled to put in a traffic light because of the 20 minutes before school starts every day.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I have seen estimates that 1/3 of rush hour traffic is parents driving their kids to school. I believe it, I live close enough to a school to see it. They even felt compelled to put in a traffic light because of the 20 minutes before school starts every day.
I love the dichotomy: parents always complaining about time crunches, yet wasting time driving their kids to school. My daughter attended a large (500+ graduating classes), suburban school district. I estimate that I drove her to school less than ten times over the years. I only drove her if she had something large to carry that would be cumbersome on the bus. Otherwise, K-12, it was ride the bus. And we wonder why we have young adults with no maturity and accountability...

Greg
Old 08-12-2020, 11:47 AM

School busses are going to be a disaster this fall though. The bus plan here is seriously deficient compared to the school plan.

I think we're going to drive our son to school even though we completely despise the idea of doing so.

Maybe we'll drive part way there and park a half mile out and walk in to avoid the insanity of the people sitting in SUVs idling for an hour before drop off.

I probably got driven to school or picked up 10 times my whole childhood.. most of those being pickups where I had a fever or had thrown up and was in the nurses office and my Mom was summoned to take me home.

I am expecting we're all going to be back to 100% remote within a couple weeks of school opening anyway. They're all forgetting only one sick person needs to come into the school. It doesn't matter how few people are sick, you only need 1.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
School busses are going to be a disaster this fall though. The bus plan here is seriously deficient compared to the school plan.

I think we're going to drive our son to school even though we completely despise the idea of doing so.

Maybe we'll drive part way there and park a half mile out and walk in to avoid the insanity of the people sitting in SUVs idling for an hour before drop off.

I probably got driven to school or picked up 10 times my whole childhood.. most of those being pickups where I had a fever or had thrown up and was in the nurses office and my Mom was summoned to take me home.

I am expecting we're all going to be back to 100% remote within a couple weeks of school opening anyway. They're all forgetting only one sick person needs to come into the school. It doesn't matter how few people are sick, you only need 1.
So much to say about this. But, you Sir, are correct. To bring it back around to the original topic, the silver lining will be less distracted parents on the road.