Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Not a leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Branford bike just got back to me and told me there's not really much possibility, at least not from their stock.

If anyone has any bright ideas, speak now or forever hold your piece!
I asked the same question and was able to do the conversion. What level hubs do you have?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=101849

Last edited by handsomerob; 07-31-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomerob View Post
I asked the same question and was able to do the conversion. What level hubs do you have?
Record 8-speed. With the bulbous shape on the cassette side. They were the version right before everything started to go 9 and 10 speed. They're 'relatively' low mileage hubs and would be used on a bike that doesn't get used all that much. So I think it is a worthy conversion, if possible.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Small ring

I did this with a 9s Mirage freehub. I haven't seen one for sale for awhile, at least a year. I got mine at Crosslake Sales, but they don't have any in stock. I think it was about $30 for the complete hub.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:42 PM

Can't find anything that says for sure, but I believe the Miche "M" series 8 and 9 speed cassettes fit on the old Campy 8 freehub body. (CA is current Campy and SH is Shimano/SRAM) So you could at least go to 9 by simply buying that cassette.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 PM

You need a Mirage/Veloce freewheel which has a coil spring for each pawl.
Either FH-MI115 & FH-MI215 will do, the difference being the size of the lockring thread, 26mm or 27mm respectively.

FH-SC015, the more recent freewheel with the single wraparound pawl spring, will not fit into your hub.

There is also the possibility that you will need to find a different axle:

Old 07-31-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
I did this with a 9s Mirage freehub. I haven't seen one for sale for awhile, at least a year. I got mine at Crosslake Sales, but they don't have any in stock. I think it was about $30 for the complete hub.

Good luck.
Add zmud to the list: bulldogge, junkfood, handsomerob, thwart, wallyman, and I have all done this conversion.

If you can't find the Mirage hub, I have one.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:25 PM

Yep...3 or 4 running. Just need to find a 9s Mirage bell shaped hub (2004-2006 as Mark said). Zero issues, you may need to machine/cut a different length spacer between the freehub bearing and hub bearing.

-Mark in St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Add zmud to the list: bulldogge, junkfood, handsomerob, thwart, wallyman, and I have all done this conversion.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:41 PM

Keep the front wheel; sell the rear wheel on ebay. Take those proceeds plus what you would spend on a new hub and buy a new rear wheel. You will be fine going ghetto with 2 different rims - it will give you street cred!

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...ls/cat_57.html
Old 07-31-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post

Yep, my (well, my wife's) beautiful 8-spd Chorus hub lives on thanks to a donor 9-10 spd Mirage hub, and a custom spacer, fabricated by Mark. For some time you could buy them on the 'Bay for $30... there's only one available now... and the price is $88!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
At least for now, Campagnolo freehubs are still available. QBP list 3 types -

1. standard axle:
http://classic.aebike.com/product/ca...w9722-qc30.htm

2. oversized axle:
http://classic.aebike.com/product/ca...w9850-qc30.htm

3. oversized axle to convert to Shimano/Sram 8/9/10:
http://classic.aebike.com/product/ca...w9853-qc30.htm

Good Luck!
First is for the non stepped, cart bearing wheels and hubs. Not the Record/Chorus stepped, ball bearing type.

2 and 3 are for oversized aluminum axles.

The only one that worked was made in 1997/8 right after Campagnolo went to 9s and still had steel and titanium, 12mm axles.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaq View Post
"Used to." They're great, great guys and recommend them highly for all kinds of info, but their collection of older parts (8-speed era) is pretty much non-existent. The only thing they've been able to supply parts for are the G-springs and carriers for 8-speed Ergopower shifters. Even the conversion part for turning 8-speed shifters into 9-speed shifters they no longer carry - and they were famous back in the day for quickly doing conversions.

As for converting the hub... my understanding (after an identical quest) was that it is possible, but that pretty much the only way to do it was to find a '90s era Athena hub (with the '90s-era bell shape) that carries a freehub with a modern 9/10/11 spline pattern.

The reason is that Campy really only made 1 year of Record and Chorus hubs with the modern 9/10/11 freehub pattern; 1998. In 1999, they went to the next generation of bigger hubs with bigger axles (and also changed the pawls & springs) . But they continued to make Athena 9/10/11 hubs with a modern-style spline pattern but bored for a narrower axle, and one that carried the 8-speed era pawls & springs.

So: find an Athena 9/10/11 hub (bell-shaped) on Ebay, pull off the freehub and it should be able to slip onto your Record, Chorus, or Athena 8-speed hub axle.

I'll defer to Mark's post above, as well as anyone who has more info; at the end of the day, I decided that it was just too much hassle to convert 8-speed hubs, especially as cups & cones are increasingly hard to find and - without the right tools - very difficult to remove & replace.
NOT Athena, different freehub and axle. Need a REcord or Chorus of the day.

BTW-I have older 9s shift discs, spring carriers, springs, etc.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Thanks for all the info!

It's probably not worth it in the end.... 9-speed doesn't help because I'm trying to use the wheels on 10-speed bikes. No biggie. Someone is going to get a bunch of killer 8-speed stuff when I get rid of the frame in question. It's a nice bike but I don't ride it much anymore.

The wheels will likely survive the end of the world. They are Record laced to Nemesis 32/32. Can't kill 'em.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Benson View Post
You need a Mirage/Veloce freewheel which has a coil spring for each pawl.
Either FH-MI115 & FH-MI215 will do, the difference being the size of the lockring thread, 26mm or 27mm respectively.

FH-SC015, the more recent freewheel with the single wraparound pawl spring, will not fit into your hub.

There is also the possibility that you will need to find a different axle:

Yep, the axle for Athena/Mirage was different than Record and Chorus. SO, if the OP finds a Athena/Veloce FH body, he will need the axle as well.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:11 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
They are Record laced to Nemesis 32/32. Can't kill 'em.
I also went down this path years ago, when the rare parts needed to do the conversion were even less rare than they are now. And still, it was much too much bother to do. I re-laced the wheels by swapping out the hubs.

The Nemesis rims are worth saving if the brake tracks are still good.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
I also went down this path years ago, when the rare parts needed to do the conversion were even less rare than they are now. And still, it was much too much bother to do. I re-laced the wheels by swapping out the hubs.

The Nemesis rims are worth saving if the brake tracks are still good.
I have a bunch of Nemesis rims. Almost a lifetime supply of them. It's almost sick. I like them but they're not made of pixie dust or anything like that like some people think. But they are strong and durable if built properly.