Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Does anyone know how resistant these TPU tubes are to pinch flats? Better or worse than 'normal' tubes?

dave
I would say the same. Difference is that the holes will be little pin holes (air wont escape as fast) vs much larger holes on butyl.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I was so sick of "super". Now, I cannot stand it's replacement: "ultra". JH uses this word at least 11-times in his website to describe his TPU tubes.

Ultra-thin, Ultra-fast, Ultra-light, Ultra-high pressure.

He may be right and the TPU tubes are the bomb even for their ultra-high price. ;-)

But if one resorts to using "ultra" to describe every parameter of the TPU tube, the only word that echoes in my mind is that is all of this ultra-BS?
At least he didn't use the word 'epic'. That word deserves to die in a fire after giving Jeffrey Epstein a massage.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
On on hand.. no idea what he's talking about with latex tubes having to be pumped up mid-ride - but then again, I don't ride for days on end, so maybe that's the thing.
It's a real problem in ultra distance cyling. I find my road tires lose about 1psi per hour with Vittoria latex tubes (rate may slow when under 50psi). Not an issue at all for a 1-4 hour Sunday ride (and even fine for a 200-300k). But for PBP which can take the better part of 90 hours a real problem. I switched from latex to lightweight butyl for PBP for this reason in 2019.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
It's a real problem in ultra distance cyling. I find my road tires lose about 1psi per hour with Vittoria latex tubes (rate may slow when under 50psi). Not an issue at all for a 1-4 hour Sunday ride (and even fine for a 200-300k). But for PBP which can take the better part of 90 hours a real problem. I switched from latex to lightweight butyl for PBP for this reason in 2019.
What is your goto lightweight butyl tube?
Old 03-28-2024, 03:21 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Does anyone know how resistant these TPU tubes are to pinch flats? Better or worse than 'normal' tubes?

dave
pretty sure in the article Jan said he did a ride in Japan where he hit rim several times and didn't pinch flat..

for the questions on patching, the article also talks about just peeling a patch off, sticking it on and go.. maybe these have special patches, but sounds pretty good from a patching perspective.. I do like my latex tubes in Corsa Control tires though..
Old 03-28-2024, 04:25 PM

Quote:

dave

Based on the RH spiel and some stuff I watched on the Youtubes it sounds like they are an improvement over butyl with respect to pinch flats (sharp object punctures as well).

The downsides are either the expense for a 'good' one OR the plastic stems and questionable quality control on the inexpensive versions.

Last edited by bshell; 03-28-2024 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:34 PM

My data: I have been using cheap eBay TPU tubes with plastic stems (with rim brakes for about half of those miles, in mountainous Appalachia) for 3 years with no issues.

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/
Old 03-28-2024, 04:42 PM

That's fantastic to hear because I'm frugal. It would be nice to dip a toe in and test w/o spending a fortune.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:09 PM

Anyone order from here. https://www.tpubiketubes.com/
Price is good especially if you buy 4. Are these just resold Amazon cheaper tubes?

David
Old 03-28-2024, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
Anyone order from here. https://www.tpubiketubes.com/
Price is good especially if you buy 4. Are these just resold Amazon cheaper tubes?

David
I've wondered about those.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocslick View Post
What is your goto lightweight butyl tube?
I’ve always used Schwalbe (SV20 for small road tires and the other for larger sizes). Rene Herse sells those too (as does Bike24). I’m sure Continental are good too. No issues although I believe those are not rated for modern wider rims/tires.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:18 PM

https://theradavist.com/ridenow-vers...r-tube-review/
Old 03-28-2024, 06:40 PM

LOL it’s Jan so of course he rides for days on end.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:37 PM

Quote:

dave
They are vastly, vastly better. I use Tubolito, which also hold air for an astonishingly long time. The Rene Herse ones, if good, are slightly cheaper so I might check those out as well.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:04 PM

I have a couple bikes set up with the cheap Ridenow ones available on Amazon for $18 a pare. Good luck so far on really crappy asphalt roads. My go to on clinchers has been latex and the TPU definitely hold air longer. The ride is not really as much different. I’m using Veloflex tires.