Not a damn thing.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Life's too short to ride cracked bikes.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Wei-pal, I want to thank you for providing this invaluable resource.
I will refer to it often -- whenever my wife makes a comment about my (very modest) stable.
+100.

And such a nice large image, too.

Community service, that's what I'd call it.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:48 PM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post

What's wrong with it?

Discuss.
Only problem I see here is you need more space weisan...
Old 04-18-2019, 01:53 PM

What's wrong with it?

Nothing, as long as it doesn't effect others in your living space.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:00 PM

The only thing that I found wrong with it when I had 10 road bikes at one time was that I spent more time fiddling with bikes than I did riding them.

It didn't feel wrong to me then, but having all of those bikes did change me. Specifically, I bought an aluminum frame with carbon fork, new, for $185 and raced on it for a season. I had the best season I had ever had to that point. my collection of bikes in my stable included a DeRosa, a Colnago, a Trek 5000 series, a Team Telekom MX Leader, among others.

I realized that there was no magic bike that ruled all others, and that the bike is a tool for me to enjoy being outside and getting exercise. I've always loved riding and one of the best days of my life was when my dad taught me to ride when I was 6. I crashed into a mailbox after my first upright run, but it was still awesome.

I don't know how I drifted away from that by accumulating all of those bikes. The only "wrong" thing for me was that having all of that stuff detracted from the reason I love cycling to begin with. There can be a point at which managing all of your material things can get in the way of living. However, each individual's definition of living is unique, I reckon.

Now I just have one road bike, a TT bike, and a mountain bike. I get immense joy out of riding them. Tinkering with them is not as much fun anymore. I rarely enjoy it.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
The only thing that I found wrong with it when I had 10 road bikes at one time was that I spent more time fiddling with bikes than I did riding them.

It didn't feel wrong to me then, but having all of those bikes did change me. Specifically, I bought an aluminum frame with carbon fork, new, for $185 and raced on it for a season. I had the best season I had ever had to that point. my collection of bikes in my stable included a DeRosa, a Colnago, a Trek 5000 series, a Team Telekom MX Leader, among others.

I realized that there was no magic bike that ruled all others, and that the bike is a tool for me to enjoy being outside and getting exercise. I've always loved riding and one of the best days of my life was when my dad taught me to ride when I was 6. I crashed into a mailbox after my first upright run, but it was still awesome.

I don't know how I drifted away from that by accumulating all of those bikes. The only "wrong" thing for me was that having all of that stuff detracted from the reason I love cycling to begin with. There can be a point at which managing all of your material things can get in the way of living. However, each individual's definition of living is unique, I reckon.

Now I just have one road bike, a TT bike, and a mountain bike. I get immense joy out of riding them. Tinkering with them is not as much fun anymore. I rarely enjoy it.
Seasons of life come and go, priorities change...

The best we can do is to be aware and keep up with the changes rather than clinging to the past.

Kudos to you for recognizing it was time to simplify and letting that happen.

I'm sure Weisan-pal would do the same if the spirit ever moved.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Seasons of life come and go, priorities change...

The best we can do is to be aware and keep up with the changes rather than clinging to the past.

Kudos to you for recognizing it was time to simplify and letting that happen.

I'm sure Weisan-pal would do the same if the spirit ever moved.
Thanks.

The nice thing about it from either school of thought (simplicity versus collecting) is that either is a pretty harmless pastime. Usually.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:59 PM

Now you know why some people collect fountain pens...
Old 04-19-2019, 04:15 AM

The problem is that you don't have enough bikes and not enough space for more.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:40 PM

The greatest marketer of all time was the person who advanced the idea that people should "collect" things.

Consider that parents are known to teach their children to collect things...(?)
(must be desperate to keep them out of other trouble).
Old 04-19-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post

What's wrong with it?
Wait, wei-pal, what happened? You had Marie whashername come over?? Place just not the same anymore...
Old 04-19-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
The greatest marketer of all time was the person who advanced the idea that people should "collect" things.

Consider that parents are known to teach their children to collect things...(?)
(must be desperate to keep them out of other trouble).
Indeed, I've never understood the draw of collecting things just for the sake of collecting things... but I'm also a strong believer that one should pursue whatever brings happiness, so no judgement accompanies that statement.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:25 PM
aka RAEKWON

Nothing wrong with it if that is your thing.

I thought that I wanted to have a lot of bikes and that the only reason I did not was because of space, now I have a bigger place and thought wife but then every time I have 4 bikes I always think, I need to sell 1 and get to 3.

I also prefer to have 3 really good bikes that 15 ok ones. Of course you could have 15 really good bikes but that is never the case for people that could be considered bike collectors/horders. How many of those bikes are just ok? how many are good? but how many are REALLY good? I would not want to ride anything that is not REALLY good because what is the point?

also collecting bikes and cars is very different than collecting stamps, or lamps or vaccum cleaners (ok, the later might be fine since just like bikes and cars you do get to use it, not just look at it)
Old 04-19-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I also prefer to have 3 really good bikes that 15 ok ones. Of course you could have 15 really good bikes but that is never the case for people that could be considered bike collectors/horders. How many of those bikes are just ok? how many are good? but how many are REALLY good? I would not want to ride anything that is not REALLY good because what is the point?
So much this.