Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 08:15 AM

Assuming that you will be doing a custom fit, I recommend a custom build if it is in your budget, or a good steel or titanium bike.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
It's really disappointing that high end frames with slightly relaxed fit only come in disc brake now.
Not that I need them on my road bike, but I don't think I would buy another bike without disc brakes at this point. Primarily cause I hate buying gear that becomes obsolete and loses all it's value due to market demand. I think we are at the tipping point of disc brake road bikes. At least it will allow me to swap wheels with my gravel and cross bikes.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
The Domane at least is pretty simple: coupla pivots and a coupla bearings. Flex accounts for the rest

M
I have a 2016 Domane and yes that's all it is. The craziest thing with that ISOFlex thingy is the way it completely erases the vibration of "scarified" roads. I've never road anything like it other than a MTB.

The new ones are a bit more complex with the crazy shock absorbing headset.

Mine is really a fantastic bike. The previous two go fast bikes I had were a Serotta Concours and a BH G5... The Domane gives up nothing in go-fast for all it's shock absorption. It is an insanely good cornering/descending bike as well for me.

Nothing boring about it, if you need long and low you can get the Team version, if you need level bars you can get the regular one, or if you're an orangutan freak like me you can get the regular one and it fits like a race bike.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:48 PM

My n=1 road bike at the moment is a Ridley Helium. I bought it as a new/closeout built up with Ultegra, after several weeks of striking out looking for gently used bikes in my size on the local CL. The Helium is marketed as a light/climby type but it has more upright geo with less reach:stack and a taller head tube than you'd find on a similarly sized Supersix or TCR, even a bit taller than an Addict or Cervelo R3/R5, but IIRC not quite as relaxed as a Domane. The Helium is rim brake; their roughly similar disc model is the Fenix. "Vertical compliance" is mostly via thin flat/oval seat stays (discounting any claimed carbon layup sorcery) but it's comfy enough for me on 25s. Also looked at Canyon Endurace which would have cost about the same with disc brakes and 105. If you're set on disc and are buying new the Endurace seems priced competitively.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:26 AM
ZhugeLiang

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...-defy-gallery/
Old 04-18-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Tubulars and disc brakes.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:34 AM

Festka One Classic

Tags
broccoli