Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Good plan as long as your wife/SO is good at skin exams.

Cyclists... skin cancer?

Nah, never, not a chance.

This. Got my Medicare card a week ago (just to date me). Have had my dermatologist carve a bunch of stuff off my skin in the last 7 years. Fortunately nothing malignant, but I bounce between 6 mo, 9 mo and annual follow ups depending on what they find each time. I'm at the point of migrating to mostly LS SPF jerseys for summer because I'm finding SPF arm covers and SS jerseys more of a hassle than grabbing the LS. Love Boure!

Still have to think about nose, ears and back of neck sunscreen. Will likely also move to full lightweight gloves too, although I've been a no gloves guy for years.

Yes, and good on the colonoscopy schedule. My doc also recommends a cardiac calcium CT scan every 5 years or so with my family history. Annual bloodwork etc.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:34 PM

I went in for a 50 year evaluation and that lead my docs to discover that I had chronic lymphocytic leukemia. I had no indication that anything was wrong. Early diagnosis resulted in more frequent monitoring and eventual treatment. I'm now almost 64 and 11 years post treatment. I think the fact that my cancer was discovered and monitored prior to reaching the crisis stage helped make my eventual treatment more effective.
Don't sweat the colonoscopy or prep. I've been through the procedure several times. Current prep regimens are MUCH easier than the gallon of "Go-lytely" that was prescribed in the past.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
This. Got my Medicare card a week ago (just to date me). Have had my dermatologist carve a bunch of stuff off my skin in the last 7 years. Fortunately nothing malignant, but I bounce between 6 mo, 9 mo and annual follow ups depending on what they find each time. I'm at the point of migrating to mostly LS SPF jerseys for summer because I'm finding SPF arm covers and SS jerseys more of a hassle than grabbing the LS. Love Boure!

Still have to think about nose, ears and back of neck sunscreen. Will likely also move to full lightweight gloves too, although I've been a no gloves guy for years.

Yes, and good on the colonoscopy schedule. My doc also recommends a cardiac calcium CT scan every 5 years or so with my family history. Annual bloodwork etc.
I had one cut out of my eyebrow that was cancerous. Now I see a dermo very 6 months. As a cyclist, I wasn't expecting that spot since it's not exposed like my arms, nose, neck, etc. I wear arm sleeves if I'm riding past 10 am. Here in NW Arizona, we ride at 5am in the summer to be done by 8 to beat the heat and winds.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:12 PM
50 bpm

Have had both the 50- and 60-year tune-up and in both cases was a victim of the dreaded orthoproctoscope.

This, though, pretty much sums it up.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:17 PM
cmg

my favorite is the slow disappearance of short term memory. or making an appointment for a colonoscopy and then forgetting about it, oops.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:30 PM
Registered (ab)User

This thread reminds me of something that happened on my 49th birthday:

Wife and I took a bike ride up to the 'burbs, ran into a friend from the cycle club there who (at that time) was in his late 60s. The missus tells our friend "It's Bob's birthday!"

Friend: "Really? How old are you?"

Me: "49."

Friend: "Enjoy it. After next year it's all down hill."

The funny thing is...he was right: My, um, infrastructure has definitely been on the decline since I turned 50. Mercifully, I still seem to be in excellent overall health...but chronic pain/discomfort from osteoarthritis appeared almost instantaneously upon my 50th birthday, and has gotten progressively worse ever since.

And don't get me started on the colonoscopy thing. Due to a "hereditary predisposition for colo-rectal cancer" I've been getting scoped every 2 or 3 years since 1990 when I was 30.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
Geez you guys are old, I don't turn 50 for another two weeks.

Doc says new protocol is that without a family history, they are suggesting 55 for first colonoscopy.
The American Cancer Society changed their recommendation for people with average risk ( no family history, etc) from age 50 to age 45 to start screening. That can include stool tests or colonoscopy . I haven’t seen starting at 55 in any literature. Check into it.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Have had both the 50- and 60-year tune-up and in both cases was a victim of the dreaded orthoproctoscope.

This, though, pretty much sums it up.
I am afraid to click on this link.
Thank-you.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I'll be 52 next month. Been getting colonoscopys since I was 40 as it runs in my family. Every 3 years so far. Otherwise just a yearly physical with blood work. No big deal really. Prep is worse than the procedure.
And, really, that's no big deal. Go a day without eating solid food (call it "intermittent fasting" & you'll fit right in), drink some concoction, poop a lot for an hour or so, done.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:15 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirl View Post
On my ride yesterday I gave some thought to recently turning 50 and scheduling a 50 year inspection/tune up.

Anyone over 50 who hears you just made the 1/2 century mark generally says one of two things if not both “welcome to the club” and “Have you scheduled your colonoscopy?”

And, recognizing there are different doctors for different bits and parts...and different exams and X-rays ...and suddenly found myself having to make all sorts of appointments...answering many of the same questions, making notes on which appointment to fast for, which appointment I couldn’t have lotion or deodorant....scheduling between life responsibilities, work responsibilities, travel...and let’s throw in squeezing in some riding too...all because I joined “The 50 club”.

There has to be a more efficient way.

Concurrently to all of the “50 club” activities my car needed an inspection for reaching a mileage threshold. The car dealership makes it so easy...I called up...I could hear the clicks of the computer from the service advisor verifying details and asking when was convenient for me to bring in my car....get me set up with a loaner and my dealer always returns my car washed and vacuumed...the ease of it all.

And then...that brain starts thinking...

What if....I could call Club 50, speak with a medical advisor, they pull up my chart...see all the “tune up/exams and X-rays” needed then schedule them all for one day and maybe throw in a spa treatment like a massage or facial. I could get my results in an electronic format and have access to online scheduling to meet with my doc (with options of video, phone call, or in person) to review ALL the test results. I would definitely consider paying a premium for the convenience.

Instead I’m back to squeezing in appointments and traveling to different places and follow up appointments while in my clean car all tuned up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The idea of coordinating care and a one stop shop is great like a dealership. However I am not sure about a loner for a colonoscopy.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:28 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Upon turning 60 and contemplating a month in Europe with bike climbing Ventoux, Gavia. Stelvio etc I decided to invest in a full blown health and fitness check up. From genetic testing, extensive bloodwork, carotid artery scan peripheral arterial function, determining VO2 max, functional strength, nutrition, flexibility you name it. It was fascinating, and after a heart MRI to double check for plaque (after finding a small amount in one carotid), I was cleared to ride with abandon and advised to loss some weight (of course). The service was personalized, comprehensive and easily the best medical experience I've had.

If you're in or near Seattle and want to know how you're doing, I can't recommend these doctors more highly: https://www.doctorspeck.com/services...health-fitness

If you're not and you're getting older and have any doubts, I'd look for someplace near you that offers similar services. Way better investment than another bike frame.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
Waayyyyy worse.
And it gets worse the older you get. I'm 65 and hopefully my age-70 scope will be my last.