Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 03:20 PM

Cracked carbon NOX Citico rim

Hey all,

Thought I'd document a warranty process as a bit of fun (today is day 1!!). Backstory - bought these wheels as a custom build from Colorado Cyclist in Aug last year (NOX Citico rims (28h), CK R45D CL, DT Competition Race, brass nipples). A glut of work scuppered a lot of my long winter gravel events, so they really haven't seen much use - haven't done the maths yet, but probably <500. Actually bought these because I didn't want to thrash a set of ENVE SES AR I have - i felt the higher spoke count and the gravel-specific rims would be sturdier for some of the beaten-up roads here in the NE.

Went out on a ride on Sunday - a few of the usual gravel routes around Philly, some cobbles, nothing spectacular (I know, I know, everyone was JRA when something bad happens!). A friend noticed a bobble in the trueness of the wheel on the way home so I scheduled a time to take the bike into LBS mid-week. Rode the bike on the road again on Monday for 25 miles - tubeless tire kept air well, no issues.

Dropped the bike off at LBS on Tuesday. Today, LBS gets in touch, let's me know the rim is toast - cracked between the inner and outer layers along the rim - pic below.

Called up Colorado Cyclist this afternoon - service rep directed me to the specific area of their website for warranty/return info, I shot them over the info this afternoon and now waiting on next steps. I've heard that NOX run a good warranty and my experience with sales at CC has been good so far, but I'll let you all know how things pan out as we go along!

JB

Last edited by cabbagelookin; 04-18-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

No pic..
Mmm, thinkin CC better warranty these things, IMHO.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
No pic..
Mmm, thinkin CC better warranty these things, IMHO.
Fingers crossed! Think I fixed the pic, thx.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbagelookin View Post
Fingers crossed! Think I fixed the pic, thx.
Yup, fixed and since a disc rim(no heat issues), that sure looks like 'defect in manufacturing' to me..
Old 04-18-2019, 01:14 PM

Had been 24h since I sent email to CC (they said they would reply within one day) so I called in to see if there was anything I could do to expedite. Very nice on phone but did not appear that they received my email yesterday :-/

Resent email. They received immediately. Asked me for a few more bits of info for NOX warranty (including picture of inside of valve hole where serial number is). Said that the process would be that, if agreed to be a warranty issue, they would get a new rim from NOX, have me send my wheel back, rebuild wheel (I would pay for labor, replacement parts, etc), send back to me (I would pay for shipping both ways.)

I have an event I'd really like to use these for next weekend (Lu Lacka Wyco Hundo in NEPA on 4/28) so that process sounds like a bust for that ride. Asked CC if I could deal with NOX directly, get the rim shipped to my LBS and have them rebuild it in time for next wkend. They weren't sure but suggested I could reach out to NOX directly and see - have done that, back to waiting again...

Everyone very nice so far and no real complaints but could have done without losing a day due to apparent email issues.

JB
Old 04-18-2019, 01:38 PM

Done and done.

Within 10 mins of emailing NOX, they agreed to warranty direct and will send a rim straight to my LBS as well as pay for shipping.

Great experience with them. Happy I already had a set of Skyline 275s on the way before this issue kicked up!
Old 04-18-2019, 02:02 PM
ergottWheels

Good to hear. I've been very happy to work with Nox and that's just one of the reasons.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:49 PM

I got the same wheel build from CC and have been riding for 3 months. so far so good, hope they hold up!