Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2024, 09:09 AM

I've switched back to mechanical from electronic. I had an older 10spd Ultegra Di2 group on a CX bike and I just didn't like how it shifted. If it were perfect it was fine, but for whatever reason I was adjusting the FD often enough to be annoying. I really enjoy the tactile shifting of a mechanical group. If it isn't perfect I can push the lever just a touch further and make it work. I just feel more a part of the bike with a mechanical group. I also enjoy working on my bikes and it's satisfying to nail a set up and keep it working really well. I now run 11spd 1x SRAM Force across CX bikes in my house and it's great.

I had DA Di2 11spd on my road bike for a time and I now run 10spd mechanical DuraAce. I've never had a hard time finding 10spd parts. Items can seem expensive on eBay or wherever, but are still cheaper than new stuff. My other issue is that most of the year I don't get outside much. I'll be on Zwift 5 days and maybe outside once, or not at all. I want to be able to hang my bike in the garage and not think about plugging it in. It's possible to have an HRM, bike computer, front light, rear light, two derailleurs, and two shifters (8 items!) that all need batteries/charging. All of that simply takes away the joy of getting out on a ride.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Snip

Likely Ultegra electronic if it's my road bike, cause they have a rim brake version, and that bike has a mix of Ultegra 10/11 parts right now.
11 speed was the last rim brake group, right? Di2 or cable? So I think you'd still be looking for parts that aren't being made now.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:53 AM

I've just gotten back into the sport in the last couple of years after ~15 years away, so I'd mostly missed the transition to electronic.

While the purist in me appreciates mechanical, I ended up with two new used bikes on my re-entry to the sport. One with mechanical 105 and the other with Di2 Ultegra. The Di2 is so much better that I upgraded the mechanical to Di2 105 this winter. Di2 shifts like a perfect mechanical shift 100% of the time, whereas mechanical typically requires a bit of ongoing maintenance to keep it shifting perfectly (of which I'm perfectly capable) and even still, it will often shift slightly better in one part of the cassette than another.

Di2 shifts perfectly every time with just a satisfying light touch. And moving rapidly through the gears is much faster and reliable. With Di2 you can go months between battery charges and even if you let it go low, it will simply stop shifting the front derailleur leaving you with enough life for hundreds of rear shifts to get you home.

Adjustments don't need to be made often, but they are a simple digital method of cable tension adjustment. No real learning curve there after you read the instructions.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
11 speed was the last rim brake group, right? Di2 or cable? So I think you'd still be looking for parts that aren't being made now.
All three major road component makers (Campagnolo, Shimano, SRAM) make 12spd rim brake group sets.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:16 AM

I have one Di2 bike and one AXS bike. Installed both myself. I'll never go back to mechanical. This is coming from someone with rim brakes.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
All three major road component makers (Campagnolo, Shimano, SRAM) make 12spd rim brake group sets.
Thanks for that correction! So mech shifting went away but not cable brakes, good to know, that means more parts available over time! I'm more OK with e shifting than the hydro brakes.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:23 AM

I put Force AXS XPLR on my new "all road" ti bike, mostly because I wanted 12 speed 1x, electronic was a total afterthought.

I really like it. The shifting is so precise and always perfect. I keep an extra charged battery in my bag and only switch (and charge) when I get the low battery alert on my head unit.

But the best part? The "mouse click" like button is really great when wearing big winter gloves.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:23 AM

My wife has Di2 on her Cannondale Synapse and it is perfect for her since she has small hands and arthritis.
I had Di2 in the past that I installed due to a hand injury.
Now I have SRAM Mech 11 speed on all my bikes.
I like Mech because there are no batteries and solenoids.
The purist in me feels that bikes should not have that and I like the connection between my hands and the movement of the derailleurs.
I feel the effort to shift is not that much different and SRAM mech shifts perfectly. I don't blame anyone for liking electronic, is does shift nicely and there are no shift cables to deal with.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:35 AM

In this day and age, at times, I wonder why any company would still shift with a steel cable when other options exist (electrical wire, wireless signal).

Seems almost comical until you ride a good mechanical system. Going 3-4 years without having to do any major adjustment to the shifting is what I am getting. That is across multiple bikes. Substantially cheaper, faster shifting, and lighter.

I know electronic shifters are in my future, but I think all these electronics are degrading us all.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:56 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Getting many years out of coin cells in wireless shifters should come as no surprise. Wireless speed and cadence sensors use more power than shifters (transmit more often), and speed/cadence sensor coin cell batteries can last for years.
My eTap shifters batteries have been in service since 2019 and according to the app they are still fine.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Thanks for that correction! So mech shifting went away but not cable brakes, good to know, that means more parts available over time! I'm more OK with e shifting than the hydro brakes.
Interestingly, while both rim brake and mechanical shifting are disappearing from road components, rim brakes are disappearing fastest from mid-level groups, and mechanical shifting is disappearing fastest from high-level groups. If I were to guess why this is: Electronic shifting creates a large price jump, and high-end groups can better absorb the higher prices; there is still a sizeable market for drivetrain upgrades on older road bikes, and the upgrade market typically chooses high-end components, while at the same time older road bikes are more apt to use rim brakes. (And because rim brakes are less expensive than rim brakes, the low-end market will probably still support rim brakes and mechanical shifting for at least a while yet.)
Old 03-11-2024, 11:10 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
I have one Di2 bike and one AXS bike. Installed both myself. I'll never go back to mechanical. This is coming from someone with rim brakes.
As much as I'm on the record poo-pooing electronic shifting, I can see this as one possible future for me. Beep beep boop and rim brakes. When I look at it from a certain perspective it's simpler than mechanical shifting, and I like simplification.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:14 AM

Just put my new road bike together using Di2. It’s nice. But I’d personally still rather a high end mechanical group. However, my frame doesn’t accept mechanical and as you said, upper end groups are all electronic now. So I figure I’d give this a shot and see what happens. But personally not seeing an advantage to electronic shifting. Nothing has been gained. I think people just like new tech
Old 03-11-2024, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT3 View Post
My eTap shifters batteries have been in service since 2019 and according to the app they are still fine.
I still have a launch edition Red eTap group with original shifter batteries in the green! I might just replace them because it's starting to make me nervous, but also I want to see how long they last.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:30 AM

I have Campy SR11, Record 10 on two bikes, and Centaur on one. I just never have to touch it. Guess I just like driving a stick (so to speak...). I might consider electronic if I bought a new (maybe All-Road) bike, but for now, I'm good....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SITM.jpg (5.5 KB, 93 views)