Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2023, 07:18 AM

nice pics jamesdak. Where is this? That old rig looks real nice as well!
Old 07-13-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
nice pics jamesdak. Where is this? That old rig looks real nice as well!
https://www.visitogden.com/neighborhoods/ogden-valley/

Pretty much all my riding is here except for when I head into the mountains for climbing rides. Was a gorgeous place until the Olympics came and it was discovered. Growth in the valley was supposed to be limited due to a lack of resources and infrastructure. But realtors and developers have taken over all levels of Utah government and the valley is being raped for their financial gain. Water restrictions are now common. I've lost over a dozen mature trees in my yard because I no longer get the secondary water needed to keep them alive.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:47 PM

I took a ride today to celebrate the first anniversary of my cryo-ablation procedure to fix afib. What a beautiful morning in the mountains. I’m extremely slow going uphill, but I’m happy to be out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9195.jpg (113.3 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9194.jpg (151.9 KB, 319 views)
Old 07-13-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
https://www.visitogden.com/neighborhoods/ogden-valley/

Pretty much all my riding is here except for when I head into the mountains for climbing rides. Was a gorgeous place until the Olympics came and it was discovered. Growth in the valley was supposed to be limited due to a lack of resources and infrastructure. But realtors and developers have taken over all levels of Utah government and the valley is being raped for their financial gain. Water restrictions are now common. I've lost over a dozen mature trees in my yard because I no longer get the secondary water needed to keep them alive.
amazing place to ride from the looks of it and sorry to hear that it's being ruined for you.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:17 PM

A three-day cycling vacation for my wife and I in and around the National Battlefield Park of Gettysburg:

The PA monument - the biggest in the park and rightfully so since the battle was in PA.

The VA monument - 2nd largest because Lee's army was the Army of Northern VA:

The Angle, where the few confederates that made it across the field during Pickett's charge ended up:

The Peach Orchard, made famous of the 2nd day of the battle:

Although Pickett's charge got that name for political reasons after the war, it was Pickett's, Pettigrew's, and Trimble's divisions of Longstreet's and Hill's corps.

The long line of the Army of Northern VA, now named Confederate Avenue:

The long line of the Army of the Potomac, about a mile away and facing Confederate Avenue:

Statue of General George Armstrong Custer, who helped stop JEB Stuart's cavalry from reaching the back of the union line on the 3rd day - part of why Lee's battle plan failed during Pickett's charge:

The Gettysburg National Cemetery dedicated by Abraham Lincoln on Nov. 19th, 1863 with the Gettysburg Address:

My wife's titanium bike:

Last edited by dcama5; 07-17-2023 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:57 PM

Well today's ride was really about testing the legs. 13 weeks since the total knee replacement. So I grabbed the Trek 5200 with it's triple setup and headed over to the other side of the valley to climb Snowbasin Mt. I made it but needed every gear the Trek had. No reserved "bailout gear" today, the lowest gear was my most used, LOL! The climb is about 2000 ft over an 8 mile distance with one false summit 1/3 of the way up where you descend down to Wheeler Canyon before heading back up to complete the climb.

First Summit

Descending down to the road shown here so I could complete the ride to the top

The MT in the background is where I am headed

It's an old beast but it get's the job done

Wheeler Canyon

Beginning of the final ascent

The view is worth the pain

Pretty much at the top now. Lodge is right behind the hills and there's only about one more mile of steep climbing before the lond descent out using the main road.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
A three-day cycling vacation for my wife and I in and around the National Battlefield Park of Gettysburg:
Looks like a great trip! One of my sons is really into US history, I have to get out that way with him soon, looks like fun!

By the way, what frame is that your wife has, looks very nice!

Cheers
Old 07-13-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Looks like a great trip! One of my sons is really into US history, I have to get out that way with him soon, looks like fun!

By the way, what frame is that your wife has, looks very nice!

Cheers
Nick, thanks, it was short but yes - great. I grew up on the Canadian border south of Montreal and never thought twice about the civil war, but (much) older now and living in Virginia for the last 31 years has made me into a civil war buff.

If your son is interested in the battle of Gettysburg and is old enough, I would recommend two books. They are both excellent, but Gettysburg by Stephen Sears is over 600 pages long so maybe not. However, Stars in Their Courses by the ultimate civil war historian - Shelby Foote (he wrote an entire 3-volume history of the civil war) is just as complete at 290 pages.

It's good to hear that your son is interested in American history. When our daughter was an undergrad, she got two unrelated Bachelor's degrees at the same time: Biology, and American History. She went on to get a PhD in Biology and is now on faculty at the University of Houston in the Biology and Biochemistry dept and she has 12 peer-reviewed publications. We feel for her, and her family, because it's 101 F in Houston with no let-up in sight.

My wife's bike is a Form Cycles Revel Ti. I bought it here many years ago, just after I became a Paceline member. They are no longer in business but the bike has been stellar. You were actually communicating some with the seller when I bought it. She has two road bikes: this Ti bike, and a Serotta steel Fierte. They are both set up with Campy Ergo, which she prefers.

Take care and thanks for the great build pics and ride pics.

Dave

Last edited by dcama5; 07-25-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:46 PM

32 miles this afternoon.
Lots of folks out and about.

Found some cool graffiti.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0977.jpeg (63.0 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by KevinC; 07-15-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 06:44 PM

Les Isles de la Madeleine

Enjoying a wonderful bike tour of PEI and Les Isles de la Madeleine. Les Isles (Magdalen Islands for Anglophones) are a 5 hour ferry ride from Souris, PEI. They are part of Quebec province. Beautiful place with wonderful food! High school French has been helpful.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4700.jpg (93.9 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4687.jpg (91.8 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4685.jpg (126.8 KB, 232 views)
Old 07-15-2023, 10:11 PM

Nice day in Grand Haven. Pole vault on the beach for high school athletes. Not a bad background for vaulting! Summers in Michigan are hard to beat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2023-07-15 23.04.02.jpg (41.4 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 2023-07-15 23.04.57.jpg (30.3 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 2023-07-15 23.04.45.jpg (28.5 KB, 203 views)
Old 07-16-2023, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
Enjoying a wonderful bike tour of PEI and Les Isles de la Madeleine. Les Isles (Magdalen Islands for Anglophones) are a 5 hour ferry ride from Souris, PEI. They are part of Quebec province. Beautiful place with wonderful food! High school French has been helpful.

David
Wooo

I need to look into this. Thanks David. PEI is pretty great; who knew about Magdalen tho! More “upper northeast” to explore.
Old 07-16-2023, 11:46 AM
hoolered

Old 07-16-2023, 03:51 PM

From the unnecessary sign department

Not sure if someone from the Tewksbury PD is just goofing around or what.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33AB93A0-299B-47C6-851C-2C9BEB402472.jpg (156.3 KB, 145 views)
Old 07-18-2023, 03:46 PM

A short but hilly 25 miles with my wife in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia:

Longbranch Plantation:

The Kirk JKS at Longbranch:

On the grounds at Longbranch: