Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2015, 07:26 PM
v a n i l l a

My s-works tricross CX developed a hairline crack in the DT and the DSCS

I had calfee repair it. I raced on it the past three years. no issue for me. I might not seek a repaired frame which was lacking in history details, but if one of the trusted sellers on this forum was selling something interesting I would not worry about the repair if the details can be known.

that said, when I sell mine, I certainly do not expect to recover the repair cost.
which is also why I did not pay for repaint or decal match.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:04 PM

I just had the cracked seatstay on my Cervelo S3 repaired two months ago. No issues whatsoever riding and racing it. I say go for it if you think it is priced right. Don't worry about the repair.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:44 PM

Carbon repair can be very good, but you need to figure out if "broken carbon" is a reputable repair shop. That said, $800 for a repaired frame seems steep. To make it definitely worth the risk for me it would have to be a lot cheaper.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pff View Post
Carbon repair can be very good, but you need to figure out if "broken carbon" is a reputable repair shop. That said, $800 for a repaired frame seems steep. To make it definitely worth the risk for me it would have to be a lot cheaper.
Agreed. Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to pass on this.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:32 AM

Basically what everyone else has said. If you think it's a perfect fit and is exactly the bike you want and you aren't worried about re-sale, then go for it. Otherwise, pass. Recovering what you paid will be hard.

Surprised the pro's closet took it in -- wonder how much they paid for it.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:04 AM
Older Than You

I think "reputable repair shop" is the key here.
We've sold 4 repaired carbon frame sets to customers. Full disclosure on the frames with no returns.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:11 AM

Think of it this way, for that price you can get a Look 585 in good condition, maybe even a little less (~$700). I personally wouldn't buy one, but I could see paying $200 - 300 for a repaired 585. So take the used price and discount it by ~60%.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:18 AM

I would pass. If it were my bike and I knew exactly what was damaged and repaired, I would have no issues riding it. But there are too many avenues for disappointment on a mended $800 carbon frame, with unknown history, from eBay.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Kind of OK

The X-Night I just bought was repaired. It had a cracked NDS seat stay; much different than a DS chainstay. It cost $650 to my doorstep. The repair is to a small break (the owner sent me before pics) on a relatively minor tube, is beefy, done by a reputable shop and guaranteed. The frame is also in otherwise great shape. I'm good.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:34 AM

I found a Fuji Altamira CX 1.0 frameset for $550 in decent condition so I think I'm going to go that route. When all is said and done, I don't mind that the bike has been repaired but I would expect to get some details on the extent of the damage. $800 for a repaired bike seems a little too steep IMO.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:01 PM

Tsunami- affordable custom aluminum

My cross bike "solution", about 5 years ago now, was to take a chance on an off-the-radar builder who does aluminum race bikes- good history building over several decades especially with road bikes but not a big internet presence. I may have requested one of the first cross bikes they built, but it came out really great, and in the price range that you are considering for busted plastic. Tsunami bikes, Joe Wells, Phoenix AZ- you know a major cyclocross hub, (like Florida without flamingos!). Seriously, I sent him basic requests for the design, sent a photograph of a sports car with the color I wanted and waited 6 weeks, and I got a fantastic workhorse bombproof cyclocross racer. There are several forumites here and over there across the hall who could add their experience about their Tsunami bikes, and probably will if they see this.
http://tsunamibikes.com/wordpress1/

PS, I'm inviting flames, but I think carbon is the wrong material for a blue collar cross racer- too much abuse, not only from the race scrum where rubbin' is racin', but also from getting banged around in transit, dumbass adventure rides that end up in flight in the woods etc. IMO of course, but I'm old, and I still drink beer from cans.

Last edited by zennmotion; 09-09-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Windrider

I'd never buy a repaired Carbon frame....YMMV

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."
Old 09-09-2015, 09:09 PM

Would you buy a used carbon bike that has been repaired?

I'd never buy a carbon frame unbroken, repaired or otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tags
carbon repair, cyclocross, frame, ridley