Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2020, 08:00 AM

Wow, a disk versus rim brake thread. Never seen that before. I am sure we will all learn a lot...
Old 11-21-2020, 08:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Wow, a disk versus rim brake thread. Never seen that before. I am sure we will all learn a lot...
Winter/2020 blues...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue.jpg (12.0 KB, 106 views)
Old 11-21-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
not really intended to be a "versus" situation -- the technical merits of both platforms have been beat-to-death and i own both already, but a custom carbon hyper-bike would be something new to me -- and ya gotta pick brakes!
Old 11-21-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post

Drifting from the 23-25 mm tire use envelope.... Sincere question: Why should gravel bikes favor disc over rim brakes?.. if the traction between tire and road surface is worse, does that not mean that breaking power requirements are less stringent?.. and if so, is that an acknowledgement that disc brakes are weaker than rim brakes? Or is the thinking that there will be more grit kicked up on a gravel / dirt road that will chew up pads and rim faster?
Good hydraulic disc brakes are far and away more powerful than any rim brakes are. There is plenty of traction for braking off road IMO. The biggest reason for them IMO is long and steep descents (hard to overemphasize this one) and the fact that you won't tear up your rims in the wet/mud. But even on the road you can brake harder and later down hills and it feels safer. Also you don't have to squeeze the lever as hard which makes the bike much more enjoyable to ride.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
not really intended to be a "versus" situation -- the technical merits of both platforms have been beat-to-death and i own both already, but a custom carbon hyper-bike would be something new to me -- and ya gotta pick brakes!
Carbon hyper bikes have almost entirely gone disc.

Not to be rude but nothing you're asking is different than the 4 other rim vs disc threads this week. Of course every retrogrouch who has ridden Campagnolo since the 80's is going to tell you to stay rim brake just like in every other thread.

If you're still riding 23's for whatever reason that tells me you don't care about the clearance and you mentioned that you don't care about the modulation or the look. That's really all there is to it. What are you looking to hear that is different or not discussed in all these other threads?
Old 11-21-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
Don't you already have like 500 bikes? Just go full modern on one and see how it is. Also definitely use at least 25c tires on wide rims.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post

Not to be rude but nothing you're asking is different than the 4 other rim vs disc threads this week. Of course every retrogrouch who has ridden Campagnolo since the 80's is going to tell you to stay rim brake just like in every other thread.

If you're still riding 23's for whatever reason that tells me you don't care about the clearance and you mentioned that you don't care about the modulation or the look. That's really all there is to it. What are you looking to hear that is different or not discussed in all these other threads?
My Giant TCR Advanced SL really only works with 23s. 25s fit under the fork with literally about 1-2 mm.

It’s rim brake obviously.

Probably going to eBay it this winter. I wonder if I’ll get $250 for the frame set!
Old 11-21-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:

This. You've already outlined the pertinent factors. You live somewhere very flat, evidently. You're riding skinny tires. So...rim.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:09 AM

If you want carbon aero rims, I would say disc. If you just want ugly old aluminum with nasty streaked brake tracks, then definitely rim job it.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
We are having fun. We (Fly and I) raced.....I and my wife raced our tandem with canti brakes and we have gone down some pretty steep (to 18%) descents on that canti equipped tandem.

Bottom line, we know brakes.
Heh... read your post too quickly before my morning Joe. I suppose everyone’s gonna have their prefs. In the meantime, ahma stock up on rims and salmon pads that I can swap in easily amd cheaply :-)
Old 11-21-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
When you ride her bike you are riding a custom frame made for someone else. Not really a proper test.
I didn't ride her bike, it doesn't fit me.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:46 PM

boo!

follow-up questions:
  • tubies, tubeless, or regular clinchers?
  • level or sloping top-tube?
ready...GO! :-P

Quote:

Last edited by wallymann; 11-22-2020 at 09:16 AM.