Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Pricing guidance requested - Athena 11V

Hey team,

I picked up a Colnago Master that has an essentially new Athena 11 speed groupset on it (the cool silver variety...), but will be moving it to 7700 DA (the frameset has the Mapei paint).

What is a reasonable price for a complete Athena 11 speed groupset in lightly used condition (a few small cosmetic marks, but almost zero miles)?

Thanks!

Texbike
Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 AM
aka RAEKWON

need more details.

long cage or short cage RD? - long cage commands more money

Powertorque or Ultratorque crankset? - UT commands a lot more money

Compact or standard? Compact commands a lot more money
Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
need more details.

long cage or short cage RD? - long cage commands more money

Powertorque or Ultratorque crankset? - UT commands a lot more money

Compact or standard? Compact commands a lot more money
Sure. Ultra Torque crankset (53/39, 172.5s). The rear derailleur looks to be short cage to me and it's paired with a 12/27 cassette. If it makes any additional difference, the group has a braze-on front derailleur and Italian BB cups.

Thanks for the help. I looked at completed ebay auctions, but there doesn't seem to be enough comps to accurately price this.

Texbike
Old 03-19-2019, 10:06 AM
aka RAEKWON

Since its mint I would say about $400. A bit more if the crank was compact. If to go on ebay I would price it a bit higher.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Since its mint I would say about $400. A bit more if the crank was compact. If to go on ebay I would price it a bit higher.
OK, great. Thanks for the guidance!

Any dissenting opinions from the team one way or the other?

Texbike
Old 03-19-2019, 11:02 AM

Speaking as one who bought exactly that, albeit in pieces over a period of time, if you offered it out for 500 a few months ago (and if it was compact) I'd have bought it in a blink. Others might have a view if power vs. ultratorque, but I dont care about that.

Athena silver 11 is the only option for something modern and all silver. I've ridden it once so far, and it's nice stuff. Works as it should.

Last edited by 54ny77; 03-19-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Hey team,

I picked up a Colnago Master that has an essentially new Athena 11 speed groupset on it (the cool silver variety...), but will be moving it to 7700 DA (the frameset has the Mapei paint).

What is a reasonable price for a complete Athena 11 speed groupset in lightly used condition (a few small cosmetic marks, but almost zero miles)?

Thanks!

Texbike
Well I'll offer a slightly different point of view. First I will say that I buy all my new Campy groups from the UK sites so always base my opinions on the savings I get going that way. The last new Athena 11 speed I bought from Merlin Cycles late in 2017 coast me $420 shipped. It was a sale but that was typical around that time frame if you could wait a few weeks for one of the dealers to put it on sale.

As another point of comparision, I picked up a mint Campy 10 speed Record Ti set from a Holland seller last year for $400 shipped and fees.

So, for some of us that comes into consideration. Still, silver Athena is in high demand right now.

Pricing guidance requested - Athena 11V

Mid or entry level complete campy groupsets are easier to sell on eBay I find. I got $400 for a complete 10s Veloce the other week.

Given the rarity of Athena now and how it seems to be the last classic looking groupset by campy, if I were in the market for a complete like yours I would pay up to $550.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Speaking as one who bought exactly that, albeit in pieces over a period of time, if you offered it out for 500 a few months ago (and if it was compact) I'd have bought it in a blink. Others might have a view if power vs. ultratorque, but I dont care about that.

Athena silver 11 is the only option for something modern and all silver. I've ridden it once so far, and it's nice stuff. Works as it should.
Potenza does have silver too, you just have to search for it.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:45 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Potenza does have silver too, you just have to search for it.
Yes but no where as pretty as athena. Athena was the last good looking silver campy group. Its a good groupset too.

I see on ebay a group with compact for a bit over $600 but it hasnt sold because a bit too high. I would put this on ebay for $550 or here for $400 and something. Its not that is not worth more here, its that there are a lot of good deals on chorus/record and most prefer it because of the ultrashift
Old 03-19-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Yes but no where as pretty as athena. Athena was the last good looking silver campy group. Its a good groupset too.

I see on ebay a group with compact for a bit over $600 but it hasnt sold because a bit too high. I would put this on ebay for $550 or here for $400 and something. Its not that is not worth more here, its that there are a lot of good deals on chorus/record and most prefer it because of the ultrashift
Oh I so agree. As the owner of a couple of dozen Vintage steel bikes it's harder and harder to find good looking groups for them, especially in silver. All these new fat, heavy blob, cranksets look so out of place on vintage steel.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:03 PM

I've got a full on silver Athena 11 with a 2010 UT crankset on my steel GT (former Shaklee) bike. I think I paid close to $900 in 2013 for all the parts, I'd say half of that would be reasonable.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
OK, great. Thanks for the guidance!

Any dissenting opinions from the team one way or the other?

Texbike
Are shifters 2009/10 UltraShift(multi higher gears via thumb button) or Powershift(one at a time)...US rare, more desirable($).
Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Are shifters 2009/10 UltraShift(multi higher gears via thumb button) or Powershift(one at a time)...US rare, more desirable($).
silver so they powershift... unless they are modded and then they would have the ugly black paddle
Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I'd say $400-450 or so. I agree that if the crank was a compact it would be worth more. I think that a compact silver Athena UT crank would easily go for $200 by itself...maybe more.

Quote:
silver so they powershift... unless they are modded and then they would have the ugly black paddle
Unless someone goes to the trouble of replacing both levers. I did that to a set of Chorus bodies.