Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 08:33 AM

Custom road vs. off the rack mountain

Being that this is Paceline, I assume that the vast majority of folks find any of The Big 3 (and the others not quite as big) uninspiring, and that's what leads us here. However, when it comes to mountain bikes, do you feel the same?

For instance, as an elitist and snob, I would never ride something so pedestrian as a Trek Madone with all Bontrager parts, nor a Specialized S-Works Tarmac with their S-Works everything all over it, or even something "new" and "exciting" as a Factor O2 with an all Black, Inc. build. Now, I'm not saying those are not quality bikes with legitimate go-fast and good parts, but the sum of the whole are even more "meh" than the individual parts.

Now my mountain bike? I couldn't care less. The bone stock-ishness of it all doesn't bother me, nor do the tubes in the tubeless-ready wheels that I have on it. Even though it's not a hugely popular brand, it's the equivalent of anything else out there, which makes it no different that anything else out there, and the fact that it's not something "special" doesn't bother me.

tl;dr: Off the rack road boring, custom mountain unnecessary.

Y tu?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:36 AM

I think perfect fit is less important on a MTB - you move around a lot - so stick bikes work for me. I have a Pivot, because I like the DW Link, but I right with folks with bikes from the Big 3 and as far as I can see those offerings are pretty awesome.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:39 AM

Custom mountain, not really necessary.

Only bikes I have ever sold are 2 duallies - a kona and a Lapierre. No real emotional or other connection to them, more tools than anything else. They did have upgrades though from stock to match my desires.

When I get around to getting a "modern"mountain bike, it will not be custom, but will likely be from a small builder - as are my fully rigid brodie and my front suspension dekerf.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:12 AM
hoolered

At the moment all my road bikes are custom or semi custom, all metal. I have a 2018 Norco Sight a1 as my big full suspension mountain bike. I appreciate quirky, uncommon bikes but it doesn't apply so much to the mountain bike. I lean towards serviceability, common standards, replacement parts, etc. when it comes to the big bike.
That full sus indy fab that was for sale here was an example of something very distinct for its time, restricted by old standards, and irrelevant to modern trends. Although cycling equipment (mountain bikes specifically) is largely a poor investment I definitely try to look ahead and see how it can fit into the future if I choose to sell it. For what it's worth, my 2018 five inch travel bike can be considered "outdated" since it's boost and not super boost, not slack enough, etc.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:16 AM

My custom Coconino hardtail is currently at Dark Matter being powder coated. It'll swing both ways, 27.5 or 29 and will be built up with 29X2.5 and 1X XT.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Classics Fan

If a hardtail, (and I had the funds) I'd probably still go custom. Why not support an independent craftsman if possible?

If needing full suspension, the linkages are too complex and proprietary for a custom builder to fabricate at a reasonable cost. This is where economies of scale are important, and there's no benefit (that I see) to going custom.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I think perfect fit is less important on a MTB - you move around a lot - so stock bikes work for me.
This^.
also, I can't think of anyone building bespoke full suspension units.

Instagram
Old 03-19-2019, 10:25 AM

Something like this would be nice. But budget means I have a Trek EX-9 for FS, mostly stock, and Retrotec Funduro hardtail-built my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 AM

I can admit my residual disdain for trek/specd lingers only for vanity. The bikes themselves are legit.

For some unknown reason I never had a problem with cdale or giant tho....

But mtb? Custom can't come close to big boys when you bring suspension into play. Tho there's still boutiquier makes if that's your itch to scratch.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
"...I can admit my residual disdain for Trek/Specialized lingers only for vanity. The bikes themselves are legit.

For some unknown reason I never had a problem with Cannondale or Giant though...

But MTB? Custom can't come close to big boys when you bring suspension into play. Tho there's still boutiquier makes if that's your itch to scratch..."
I am in the same boat. All my roadbikes are customs.
My full-suspension mountainbike is factory.
Were a hardtail to be purchased, it would likely be a custom.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:39 PM

I agree - I rented a KHS 650b FS bike today in Palm Springs and it worked fine. My real MTB is a small batch mass-produced Banshee that I think performs great but is nowhere near custom.

It’s good enough. I have pimp wheels on it but otherwise it’s basic - SLX / crappy dropper / basic Pro handlebar / ancient saddle
Old 03-19-2019, 01:50 PM

Joostx's 44 convinced me there's mountain gold in them thar custom hills. Killer bike.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:24 PM

My comments focus on hardtails. If I did FS, it would be custom as well but I understand that off the shelf makes sense in most cases for FS.

That said.

Road bike geometry may vary, but not nearly to the extent that mountain does and with every trail, rider and bike combination being a unique experience, custom offers far more opportunities to build a bike just right for you and your environment.

The focus mentioned here most above is fit, but that is only a piece of the picture. Trail and Front Center are generally determinants in the design process and significant variability in those areas are the real reason why hardtails benefit more from custom than road bikes do IMHO.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:50 PM

I have no interest in full suspension mountain bikes, so I lean in the direction of custom for all of my bikes. I usually have some weird requirements that I can't find anywhere else and go custom for that reason.

I currently own 1 custom Allroad bike and 2 custom mountain bikes

1: Titanium hardtail from Moonmen that comes apart for travel, fits 27.5x3.0, 27.5x3.8. & 29x2.8 tires and uses 157mm rear and 83mm BB spacing.

2: Steel Waltworks rigid specific 29+ bikepacker with Jones Ti truss fork.

3: Titanium Carver Allroad custom, 27.5x2.4 or 29x2.0 tires and nice high cockpit.

Saying all that, I just picked up a used Trek Stache frame to built up a nice light 29+ rigid singlespeed. Supposed to be a really fun bike!
Old 03-19-2019, 03:06 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
I have no interest in full suspension mountain bikes, so I lean in the direction of custom for all of my bikes. I usually have some weird requirements that I can't find anywhere else and go custom for that reason.
I am the complete opposite - no interest in a hardtail BUT if I did, it would be carbon to be light. Mtb is so terrain/region specific...