Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
At the suggestion of coaches smarter than me I'm slowly getting away from ERG mode for a lot of workouts. It forces you to pay attention to putting out the power yourself instead of relying on a machine to provide the resistance. Makes a difference when trying to duplicate efforts IRL. ERG has it's uses, but I think it's relied on too much for most.
Lately, I've been doing one non-erg workout a week for just this reason. There's a mental aspect to workouts & hard riding that needs to be trained, as well. For just holding a wattage for X long, erg is great. For training to adjust to hold that wattage when it will drop if you don't pay attention (IE: real life), it is lacking.

Last edited by makoti; 03-18-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I was under the impression that by definition 1hr power is = FTP, if you can’t hold the power for an hour it isn’t your FTP? Like the above poster claimed he had a 300+ watt ftp yet averaged 260 watts in a 40 minute breakaway due to “factors”... this is what I’m talking about.
No. That's a very rough shorthand that people use, and it's extremely misleading. Coggan, who developed the term/analysis FTP, defines it as “the highest power a rider can maintain in a quasi-steady state without fatiguing.”

Your FTP (functional threshold power) is the power output at which you are at your aerobic threshold - the max output of your body's ability to fuel your muscles aerobically - that is, with oxygen, without dipping into other fuel sources.

Wouldn't it be a little strangely coincidental for this threshold to be able to last for the amount of time we use to divide up a day? Or for it to be the same for everybody?

TTE is the other part of the equation: time to exhaustion - how long you can ride at your threshold.

Last edited by nooneline; 03-18-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:24 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by laupsi View Post
I disagree. there may riders/ametuer racers who can put out this kind of power; it is however an uncommon trait among most cyclists or to normalize things, it is highly doubtful there are lots of non-pros, young and old, who could ride at or above 4 w/kg for an hour long effort.
I'm almost there. I can do 4w/kg for 20+ minutes, but best hour so far is 3.7w/kg. I still think I can get closer this season. Still barely out of winter right now.

wasn't even my PR up Alpe, I ramped up effort then ran out of mountain
https://www.strava.com/activities/2193965623/overview
Old 03-18-2019, 06:25 PM

I think a lot of this is where you live and how many strong riders there are.

At 4.2/wkg, I usually land in the top 5 or 10% of >20 minute climbs around here, which for me is right around 305W threshold (or 325ish for 20 minutes)

So on a climb with 2000 people attempting, 200 of them are north of those kind of numbers. So I wouldn't call that unusual or rare.

Get into the 1% and .1% and that's crazy bananas fast, especially for multiple hours.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:29 PM

deleted

Last edited by echappist; 03-18-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:49 PM

This always boils down to the fact that there are more factors to racing than just your watts/kilo. Unless we’re talking Strava, race craft is much more important if you just race local.

I know from experience 5 wkg looks great on paper but you have to race smart or it’s usless.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2351 View Post
This always boils down to the fact that there are more factors to racing than just your watts/kilo. Unless we’re talking Strava, race craft is much more important if you just race local.

I know from experience 5 wkg looks great on paper but you have to race smart or it’s usless.
very true. for a while i was coaching a rider who, in w/kg (and raw w) could do more for 5-20 minutes than i could... but i was 3 categories higher than he was. he could ride me off his wheel when we rode together, but he wasn't great at making speed in races or finishing them off.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:14 AM

Why would one care about such a thing?
Old 03-19-2019, 03:22 AM

Quote:
I'm almost there. I can do 4w/kg for 20+ minutes, but best hour so far is 3.7w/kg. I still think I can get closer this season. Still barely out of winter right now.

keep at it and best of luck. the additional .3 w/kg will take a lot of focus, but you won't know till you put in the effort. my last 20' test brought me to 3.9, so close, but that additional .10 is a daunting no.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
No. That's a very rough shorthand that people use, and it's extremely misleading. Coggan, who developed the term/analysis FTP, defines it as “the highest power a rider can maintain in a quasi-steady state without fatiguing.”

Your FTP (functional threshold power) is the power output at which you are at your aerobic threshold - the max output of your body's ability to fuel your muscles aerobically - that is, with oxygen, without dipping into other fuel sources.

TTE is the other part of the equation: time to exhaustion - how long you can ride at your threshold.
^ This.

The fatigue profile is different for different riders. If a rider trains for getting max power over 20 mins, then it is unlikely they will be able to hold 95% of their 20 minute power for an hour.

To ride 95% of max 20 minute power for an hour, a rider needs to train.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
keep at it and best of luck. the additional .3 w/kg will take a lot of focus, but you won't know till you put in the effort. my last 20' test brought me to 3.9, so close, but that additional .10 is a daunting no.
Quote:

good luck to you both
Old 03-19-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
^ This.

The fatigue profile is different for different riders. If a rider trains for getting max power over 20 mins, then it is unlikely they will be able to hold 95% of their 20 minute power for an hour.

To ride 95% of max 20 minute power for an hour, a rider needs to train.
my experience with this is training a lot of 20 minute power for a little while - steady, dynamic, you name it. got to a point where i could absolutely destroy a 20-minute test, but i was really stressed by races that went longer than 50 minuted, and i think i'd have struggled to do 80% of my 20-min max for 60 minutes. i've shifted my training - my 60-120minute power is a lot better than it was before, but i've had to give my 20-min power a haircut!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
I think a lot of this is where you live and how many strong riders there are.

At 4.2/wkg, I usually land in the top 5 or 10% of >20 minute climbs around here, which for me is right around 305W threshold (or 325ish for 20 minutes)

So on a climb with 2000 people attempting, 200 of them are north of those kind of numbers. So I wouldn't call that unusual or rare.

Get into the 1% and .1% and that's crazy bananas fast, especially for multiple hours.
Tailwinds, leadouts - there's a big portion of that gap...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
my experience with this is training a lot of 20 minute power for a little while - steady, dynamic, you name it. got to a point where i could absolutely destroy a 20-minute test, but i was really stressed by races that went longer than 50 minuted, and i think i'd have struggled to do 80% of my 20-min max for 60 minutes. i've shifted my training - my 60-120minute power is a lot better than it was before, but i've had to give my 20-min power a haircut!
my coach started discounting my 20-min power and haircutting my FTP ever since we started working together

First year I worked with him, I did a climb at 330W for slightly more than 20 minutes (Bear Mt); his remarks? Seems like your FTP is right around 305-310.

A few years later, I did 315W for 30 minutes at the tail end of a ~1hr 45 min race (in a 2-man break). His remark? 290W for FTP seems reasonable for now (this after doing a hard race the previous day).

I think there was a psychological component to why he dismisses it, b/c people too often get focused on that one number (kinda like how NFL fans focus mostly on that flashy 40-yd dash time while paying less attention to other indicators). What i'm trying to say is that long-duration aerobic power have a lot of qualitative use, but themselves don't mean much, unless there's a 20 min long hill to climb (which is almost never). However, that doesn't stop many from aiming for higher 20 or 30-min steady state power, at the expense of power that really matters in most road racing around the country (repeatable 3-8 min efforts).

So despite being a cat-4 the year i first started working with my coach and doing successful cat-3 breakaways in my last year of mass start racing, my in-form FTP didn't increase that much at all (305W first year to 315W-320W in that last year), and my peak 20 min probably didn't go up that much either (330W to perhaps 340W). The difference, however, was that I was able to punch to get a gap and then hold it (while still going above FTP) for another 5-10 minutes, so that I was able to weather the flurry of actions in the pack. By the time I had to drop below threshold (have to, or else i'd blow), the strong riders in the pack played their cards, but I still had a gap. That's when you let psychology take over, and those remaining realize that the break isn't coming back for a good while (or ever).

This is what allowed me to be at the table with people who probably got at least 5% on me.

now, different story, if we are talking ITT
Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I agree w/the OP; I've done TR ramp tests and 20' TP tests which puts my FTP at a level that is higher than what I think I could do for a solid hour. I also know that at an age of over 50 I will never have the courage or stamina to ride for an hour to find out what that number actually is. This said, I am confident that my FTP is lower than what a segmented test would interpret.
Yeah, same here. Although I do believe the TR ramp test gives me a number that works well for the TR training I don't believe for a second that I could hold that power for an hour.