Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2019, 03:40 PM

Source for 1 1/8 Alpha-Q Fork Insert?

I bought a second hand Alpha Q CX fork (1 1/8" steerer) on the forum. It didn't come with the Aluminum glue-in insert, but looks like it was used previously with a more standard FSA compression plug. From what I have read, the Alpha Qs were supposed to be used with an aluminum insert (and shouldn't be used without it).

Any leads on where I might find one? If not, any thoughts on a machine shop that could make one without breaking the bank?
Old 03-05-2019, 05:44 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

The Cervelo forks are the same way. Come from the factory with a AL insert, some alcohol, and some epoxy.

Skip it and go with an Enve plug (or similar) because eventually that glue isn't glued any more

M

edited to add: if you really want one of my Cervelo fork kits, you can have one. Just pay postage

Last edited by Gummee; 03-05-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:50 PM

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...rts-41134.html
Old 03-05-2019, 08:20 PM

I wondered if finding an appropriate seatpost shim would work .
Epoxied in .. same idea
My understanding is that the sleeve was structural as the steerer tube was thin
Old 03-05-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
Thanks. I had seen that thread when searching.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
The Cervelo forks are the same way. Come from the factory with a AL insert, some alcohol, and some epoxy.

Skip it and go with an Enve plug (or similar) because eventually that glue isn't glued any more

M

edited to add: if you really want one of my Cervelo fork kits, you can have one. Just pay postage
Would you mind checking the diameter of the Cervelo insert? I don't want you to have to ship unless it looks to be a fit. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2019, 09:21 PM
Administrator

I'm in the same boat, but looking for a 1" instead of 1 1/8". Please post any information in here that you run across. Thanks!!!
Old 03-05-2019, 09:48 PM

Don't use a compression plug in carbon steerer AlphaQ forks

I researched this a few years ago and although I don't have the Alpha Q documents handy, I remember reading direct from them that the sleeve IS structural, and required. I have had 2 alphaQ carbon fork steerers crack WITH the sleeve. Although the carbon cracked, the sleeve kept things together and avoided a catastrophic failure. Those steerers are very thin, and should not be used without the sleeve!

Edit: And when shopping for a used Alpha Q for that is advertised as having plenty of steerer to work with, beware that if the sleeve is already epoxied in, you cannot safely cut down that fork. The reinforced part with the insert (which is about 3" long) must be at or below the upper HS race. So if the sleeve is already in, the fork steerer length better be very close to what you need ..

Last edited by smead; 03-05-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post

M

I believe the 1 1/8" forks on Cervelos were rebranded 3T Fundas--when they did a recall some folks ended up getting forks marked as such.

I recently cut and installed a Funda, and it did indeed come with the glue-in insert, the alcohol wipes for cleaning and the little pouch of epoxy. I too went back and forth on this, and ended up using the glue-in insert.

My back-up plan was to use one of the longer compression plugs--the one I picked up I think is made by ITM?--my thinking was that it would extend down past the fork/headset junction...
Old 03-06-2019, 07:19 AM

If you can't find what you need, shoot me a pm. I regularly make these threaded inserts for both 1" and 1⅛" inch forks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190306_211704.jpg (87.7 KB, 215 views)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:20 AM

Uh oh. Sorry for the vertigo, everyone
Old 03-06-2019, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
Edit: And when shopping for a used Alpha Q for that is advertised as having plenty of steerer to work with, beware that if the sleeve is already epoxied in, you cannot safely cut down that fork. The reinforced part with the insert (which is about 3" long) must be at or below the upper HS race. So if the sleeve is already in, the fork steerer length better be very close to what you need ..
Just a FYI, I have been able to safely remove a glued-in sleeve on a fork and then cut the fork, and re-glue the insert.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Randomhead

how did you remove the sleeve? The fork I have is very long, so if I was going to use it, I could cut it off below the sleeve and the steerer would probably still be too long for me. I was thinking of just cleaning the carbon off on my lathe, but that would probably be bad for me and the lathe.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Just a FYI, I have been able to safely remove a glued-in sleeve on a fork and then cut the fork, and re-glue the insert.
Or just cut the fork with the insert in there and install another SFN..Maybe push the SFN lower first...
Old 03-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
how did you remove the sleeve? The fork I have is very long, so if I was going to use it, I could cut it off below the sleeve and the steerer would probably still be too long for me. I was thinking of just cleaning the carbon off on my lathe, but that would probably be bad for me and the lathe.
I should have been more precise in my comments, the mechanic at my LBS removed this for me. I'll have to check, but he had some sort of metal rod that fit exactly inside of the steerer tube and then he tapped on it until the insert popped out. He said that he had done this many of times. I'll try and get some more details on what he actually used to remove the insert.