Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 08:34 PM

Cervelo fork insert removal

I have a Cervelo Caledonia 5 with the D-shaped steer tube and epoxied in starnut/expander plug. I’ve currently got 20mm of spacers above the stem and once I get the fit dialed in I’d like to cut the fork down to eliminate the top spacer stack. I have a replacement plug and epoxy, but not sure about removal of the existing plug. I found installation instructions on Cervelo’s site but nothing about removal. I also did a few searches here but wasn’t able to find anything.

I’m thinking something like an impact puller to pop it loose, but don’t want to mess up the inside of the steer tube. Help appreciated!
Old 02-29-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
I have a Cervelo Caledonia 5 with the D-shaped steer tube and epoxied in starnut/expander plug. I’ve currently got 20mm of spacers above the stem and once I get the fit dialed in I’d like to cut the fork down to eliminate the top spacer stack. I have a replacement plug and epoxy, but not sure about removal of the existing plug. I found installation instructions on Cervelo’s site but nothing about removal. I also did a few searches here but wasn’t able to find anything.

I’m thinking something like an impact puller to pop it loose, but don’t want to mess up the inside of the steer tube. Help appreciated!
I wouldn't remove the plug.

Get the exact everything you want, and then cut the fork. If you can cut below the bottom of the "plug", then all good (remember the top of the fork should be 3-5mm below the top of the stem), and you will have "virgin tube" to start over with your new plug.

If you have a bit of plug still remaining, honestly I would bite the bullet and remove the fork and have someone machine it out on a lathe.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
I wouldn't remove the plug.
This is kinda what I was afraid of. Removal as a problem.

I’ll have to look at the new plug to see how long it is and how much I’d have to cut to get below the existing. If I won’t be able to take that much off I’ll probably just leave the spacers on top.

Machining it out also sounds tricky because the inside of the steer tube is not round.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:37 PM

Old 02-29-2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
Machining it out also sounds tricky because the inside of the steer tube is not round.
I saw that and then I forgot that.

so machining out would be tricky.

So the first step is to see how much plug would be remaining. It is so long that even if it is stuck, it can still be usable

but......Apparently they are NOT difficult to remove?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cervelo/com...r_tube_insert/

Last edited by Old School; 02-29-2024 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:58 AM

Looks like not difficult to remove IF they weren't epoxied in well. Most importantly from that Reddit link I found there exists a D-shaped expander plug which is a huge win, so thanks a bunch!
Old 03-01-2024, 07:59 AM

Link to the D-shaped expander plug for posterity.

https://shop.cervelo.com/products/c-...mpression-plug
Old 03-01-2024, 08:20 AM

If just cutting the steerer shorter doesn't work, you might need to use my technique that adds an M6 thread insert with the entire stem clamp length filled with epoxy.

I plug the steerer with foam rubber or core foam to the desired depth, and use something that has M6 threads in it as an anchor. A long M6 bolt is covered with heat shrink tubing with threads exposed at the bottom end to screw into the threaded insert. Fill with JB Weld epoxy. After the epoxy cures, remove the bolt. The only other tricky part is ,along cure that the bolt is centered in the tube.

For round tubes, a star nut, ground down to just slip into the tube works. I've also used inserts with prongs that are made to anchor into wood.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:20 AM

So I don't know about a D shaped fork but my Cervelo R3 came with the fork insert pre glued. I wanted 25mm taken off the fork to match my desired size and drop the spacers. I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself so took it to the Cervelo dealer in the area. He tapped it down and exactly as he said was likely to happen the epoxy failed and it fell out. Rather than gluing in a new one I switched to a standard FSA expander fitting (but my fork is 1-1/8" round).

This was the official word on the process from Excel Sports (from whom I bought the bike). Local mechanic tried this but ultimately the sleeve popped out anyway. So if you tap it down it will likely fall out, and if not you can use it as is.
The fork can still be cut, you just have to cut it in increments and pound the star nut down inside the sleeve. The sleeve does not get removed, it just gets cut.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:54 PM
cmg

does the starnut/expander plug extend pass the top bearing? or is just glued in so it won't move? when alpha q forks used a glued in plug it was like 4" long to extend pass the top bearing, gave the fork steerer some rigidity. removing it may void the warranty. sound like a dealer question. i wouldn't remove it.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:02 PM

Long m6 bolt. Heat it up hot, and screw it in . The epoxy will turn soft and pull the insert out. Tricky, but it works.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
Long m6 bolt. Heat it up hot, and screw it in . The epoxy will turn soft and pull the insert out. Tricky, but it works.
If you've done this before, how hot did you get the bolt?
Old 04-19-2024, 09:34 AM

I had luck on a Alpha-Q of installing a tall spacer above the stem and tightening the 6mm bolt with the center cap in place. I would use and alloy center cap, not a nicer carbon one. Make sure the stem bolts are loose.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
I had luck on a Alpha-Q of installing a tall spacer above the stem and tightening the 6mm bolt with the center cap in place. I would use and alloy center cap, not a nicer carbon one. Make sure the stem bolts are loose.
You did this to pull the insert loose?
Old 04-19-2024, 05:08 PM

Came right out like butta. I never did it on a shaped steerer but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be worth a try.