Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2005, 08:02 PM

Excell Tubing - Give me the 411

What up yo?

Since we were recently on the topic of tigged vs. brazing, can someone give me the 411 on Excell tubing from France? I understand that it is no longer in production, but was it good tubing when it was in production? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Antonio
Old 04-11-2005, 08:17 PM

good but not great tubing...

This was a mid to late 80's answer to the "new" Reynolds 753 and then 853. It was a tight-grained higher-tensile chrome-moly tube set known, at least in some cases, to be somewhat brittle. According to one now long-retired builder I sourced for some of my customers it was difficult to work with, but worth the effort.

If I remember correctly, it was also slightly larger diameter than most other tubesets at the time...I once spent a frantic Friday sourcing a then difficult-to-find 27.4 diameter seatpost for a woman set to fly to France that night. She was to compete in the Tour de France Feminine on her custom excell frameset... I got her the seatpost, but, alas, she didn't do well.

If you're buying a frame built with it simply inspect it carefully. If there are no cracks or other damage you should be fine.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Dr. Doofus

dario says the excell podium tubeset was his all-time fav to work with

the 90s stuff was basically like nivachrome (tube experts -- is that accurate or has the doof been misled?)...the cromex stuff was durable and rode well, as was the eco -- tons of old giordanas made from that stuff...and the last generation of pre-trek lemond steels were made from excell tubing

Last edited by Dr. Doofus; 04-11-2005 at 08:26 PM. Reason: animals think...they understand...trust in them...a big mistake
Old 04-11-2005, 08:25 PM
imho this is mp bro.

awesome stuff.....the jerk had a gazelle made out of it...it didn't break and it rode great...which is not common for gazelles.
jerk
Old 04-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Steel..what else??

Excell

Rode a Lemond Excell GLX this weekend for a couple of days and the ride was fantastic. By looking at the frame I had a feeling that it was going to be a noodle, I was wrong. It has great balance and feel. Actually I think I'll take it out tomorrow and leave the Serottas and Merckx at home....

Included a small pic of the work in progress. Campy 8 speed and some other crap I had around since the early 90's.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:15 PM

Bikyle still has Giordana frames made with these tubes

They are the only place where I have ever seen these for sale. Seems they have had them forever. I've been tempted many times by the relaxed geometry and I like the look of the paint. Too bad no more steel forks, but I'd be curious about the ride.

http://www.bikyle.com/GiordanaFrm.asp#Geometry

Last edited by eddief; 04-11-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Dr. Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief
They are the only place where I have ever seen these for sale. Seems they have had them forever. I've been tempted many times by the relaxed geometry and I like the look of the paint. Too bad no more steel forks, but I'd be curious about the ride.

http://www.bikyle.com/GiordanaFrm.asp#Geometry
rumor is that the ones still at the gita warehouse are going out with tange chrome forks...those frames were designed for 50mm rakes (in the 73 hta frames)....spicer has those forks for something sick like 50 bucks...of course, this is all just conjecture...doof wouldn't know anything about it...just a rumor
Old 04-11-2005, 09:34 PM
le baroudeur

Rode one around the block recently...

Made me look real hard at my collection...Nimble, quick, very responsive....Up there with my 753-built Waterford 1200...
Old 04-11-2005, 09:37 PM

did you ride a steel or carbon forked model?

just curious.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:42 PM
le baroudeur

Steel forks only...

I'm allergic to Carbon. Won't even eat barbeque.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Helianthus annuus

If you look closely at the pictures of my custom Pegoretti Luigino you can see the Excell tubing decal on the seat tube. Dario told me that when he was having trouble sourcing tubing for Emma's Big Legs---a rather long story of what goes around, comes around---he went to France and there found about a dozen Excell tubesets. The same tubing, he said, was used on the bikes he made for a few great riders, though I shan't divulge lest I be caught in a rain storm of speculation. Suffice it to say that Excell reigns supreme, much like the Iron Chef. So there are a few Luiginos now made of Excell and perhaps if you ask nicely Dario has one with your name on it. Dario also visited Bianchi to spy out the various shades of Legnano green so that he might meet my request to honor his mentor with a bike painted in the style of green greatness.

dbrk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luiginofullsmall.jpg (78.0 KB, 878 views)
File Type: jpg luiginosticker.jpg (47.3 KB, 878 views)
Old 04-11-2005, 10:10 PM
imho this is mp bro.

the jerk loves that bike. the big leg emma is almost built....you guys will be impressed...the jerk promises.

jerk
Old 04-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Serotta and Boeing User

I have a 56 Giordana XL strada...It was never built but had a stem/bar/brakes/headset and a BB put on it....Oh and a seat post...It has a few chips in the paint...One from the fork/brakes coming around...but I recall no dings in the tubes...If someone would be interested in it I will definately sell it...

It is a Red/White much like the link that was put on this thread earlier...

PM me if interested...It is at my fathers house...will take a little time to get photos...but would be a great foul weather bike.

Mark
Old 04-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Dr. Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeeds71
I have a 56 Giordana XL strada...It was never built but had a stem/bar/brakes/headset and a BB put on it....Oh and a seat post...It has a few chips in the paint...One from the fork/brakes coming around...but I recall no dings in the tubes...If someone would be interested in it I will definately sell it...

It is a Red/White much like the link that was put on this thread earlier...

PM me if interested...It is at my fathers house...will take a little time to get photos...but would be a great foul weather bike.

Mark
a surly is a foul weather bike. a NOS Giordana is a pimp ride
Old 04-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Serotta and Boeing User

Okay, then...How about gold plated Campy...

and some spinners on the wheels...

Just keep the fingers out...to late