Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 08:54 AM

Seeking commuter bag and/or pannier rack (sans mounts) recommendations

Now that the weather’s warm here in the Boston area, I have been riding into work usually 1x/week, with aspirations of doing more. One of the things holding me back is the backpack I’ve been using (a Lowe Alpine daypack, it is a comfortable hiking bag but not great for riding) has been wrecking my neck/back between the ride to work/home so doing it multiple days in a row kind of hurts.

So, looking for recommendations on either a) a good commuter backpack or b) a good rack / pannier setup that does not require frame mounts to install, which would be installed on a small (51cm ish) alu Zank road 40.

My commute is 25mi each way, over mixed terrain…it is 90% pavement, but there is some singletrack and dirt paths. Between my laptop, clothes, and change of kit I’d guess I carry about 20lbs (give or take).

Heard good things about the Bailey Works Citi pack (size L) but knowing this forum, I am sure there will be other good recommendations here…

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:02 AM
That guy..

can the laptop be left at work?
if so. https://www.rapha.cc/ca/en/shop/wate...roduct/BBP01XX

or

get a cetma Half Rack
https://cetmacargo.com/products/cetma-halfrack
Old 06-19-2019, 09:09 AM

If you are carrying that much weight get a good pack designed for cycling. Bailey. ILE Mission etc. Do not try rigging a rack on that bike with a load like that. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by charliedid; 06-19-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:48 AM
That guy..

dont thinking strapping that weight to your back is good even with a proper bag.

not saying it cant be done.

but why bother.

considering that bag costs more than the half rack. id just get the front rack and you can strap whatever youd like to it. get that 20lbs off your back and actually enjoy your commute
Old 06-19-2019, 10:05 AM

I was going to suggest a BIG saddle bag but what works on my 60-62cm frames wouldn't fit on a 51cm. I have a couple of racks that mount to a seat post that MIGHT work for you. They stick out about 12-18" to the rear.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:53 AM

Love the Carradice saddlebag with a quick release mount on the seatpost. Many sizes to choose from.

https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddlebags

I fit lunch, a laptop, a change of clothes, and a lock in a Super C bag. The comes off the bike quickly, and it can be carried around with a shoulder strap.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs7282 View Post
My commute is 25mi each way, over mixed terrain…it is 90% pavement, but there is some singletrack and dirt paths. Between my laptop, clothes, and change of kit I’d guess I carry about 20lbs (give or take)..
Definitely consider a front rack set-up. Even cheaper than the CETMA rack is the Origin8 Classique Cargo HD Front Rack.

You won't even need to buy a special bag or anything. Just grab a cargo net or a couple of bungies.

Lastly, I guarantee you're not carrying anywhere close to 20lbs. But even if you were this rack could handle it.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 AM

If the price doesn't scare you I highly recommend the Tailfin pannier rack system. I was part of their Kickstarter introduction and am more than pleased with the result. Much more rigid and capable than my prior Tubus rack and Ortlieb pannier solution to the point that the Tubus and Ortliebs are now gone.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:03 PM
That guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalattorney View Post
Definitely consider a front rack set-up. Even cheaper than the CETMA rack is the Origin8 Classique Cargo HD Front Rack.

i kept breaking the mount that attached to the brake on the fork crown. i did push it limit a bit on the weight.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
dont thinking strapping that weight to your back is good even with a proper bag.

not saying it cant be done.

but why bother.

considering that bag costs more than the half rack. id just get the front rack and you can strap whatever youd like to it. get that 20lbs off your back and actually enjoy your commute

I don’t disagree but are you sure you are considering the bike being used?

The correct answer is a commuter bike

Old 06-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
If the price doesn't scare you I highly recommend the Tailfin pannier rack system. I was part of their Kickstarter introduction and am more than pleased with the result. Much more rigid and capable than my prior Tubus rack and Ortlieb pannier solution to the point that the Tubus and Ortliebs are now gone.

I was gonna mention this. I have no experience with it however. You find it doesn’t wag at all? Also will it work with hooded drops? Thanks

Old 06-19-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I was gonna mention this. I have no experience with it however. You find it doesn’t wag at all? Also will it work with hooded drops? Thanks

It doesn't wag at all, that's the #1 reason I love the thing. It's so invisible while riding I can use it on a skinny tire road bike. I've only ever loaded it with 5-7 lbs per side, not a lot granted, but as a comparison I've used both this and my previous Tubus/Ortlieb on my BMC MX for my weekly CSA run and while the conventional system wagged, the Tailfin virtually disappears.

Since I have size 50 feet and run 180 cranks I was initially concerned that with the pannier location not being adjustable I'd experience foot interference on a short chainstay road bike. Not the case, although the panniers are positioned in the traditional location they are tilted forward and positioned pretty high, moving the center of gravity forward to minimize wag.

Two options exist for mounting, application specific skewer with long extensions and threaded studs that install into a fender eyelet (not recommended for brazed-on eyelets, only cast/forged-in). Using the threaded studs on my BMC the rack clears 700x44 tires and fenders. The skewer and rack mounting width are wide enough to clear the hooded dropouts on my Potts Ti.

Last edited by donevwil; 06-19-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Carradice bag with SQR block might be able to clear a smaller frame as it sits a little higher. It won't change the handling of your bike as much as a front load either. The only issue is they are kinda spendy unless you buy used and you can't try one out in a store.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=donevwil;2555407]It doesn't wag at all, that's the #1 reason I love the thing. It's so invisible while riding I can use it on a skinny tire road bike. I've only ever loaded it with 5-7 lbs per side, not a lot granted, but as a comparison I've used both this and my previous Tubus/Ortlieb on my BMC MX for my weekly CSA run and while the conventional system wagged, the Tailfin virtually disappears.

Since I have size 50 feet and run 180 cranks I was initially concerned that with the pannier location not being adjustable I'd experience foot interference on a short chainstay road bike. Not the case, although the panniers are positioned in the traditional location they are tilted forward and positioned pretty high, moving the center of gravity forward to minimize wag.

Two options exist for mounting, application specific skewer with long extensions and threaded studs that install into a fender eyelet (not recommended for brazed-on eyelets, only cast/forged-in). Using the threaded studs on my BMC the rack clears 700x44 tires and fenders. The skewer and rack mounting width are wide enough to clear the hooded dropouts on my Potts Ti.

Great info

Thanks
Old 06-19-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
It doesn't wag at all, that's the #1 reason I love the thing.
If I buy one, the commission should go to you. Great photos. Thank you.