Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 08:06 AM

Bike travel bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
I've been using an EVOC bag for about five years now, so 40+ trips with it and zero damage to any of the bikes in it thus far. Mostly ship it iin advance to our hotel and have it picked up at the hotel by the shipper afterwards, but have also taken it on flights. Shipping is cheaper but AmEx gives me back $200 in airline charges each year, so if I only fly with it once per year it costs me $100.

It has wheels so easy to move around, and once empty it collapses into itself, easy to stuff under a bed or in a closet.

However, it does require a midsize or larger vehicle for transport once packed. I'd buy another or recommend it highly but I'm more concerned with protection for my vintage bikes than I am about lowering the cost of bringing one of them with me.

I’ve got the same bag (EVOC). Has served me well for 15+ flights. I also got the optional aluminium frame that facilitates bracing and gives you something to put the bike on firmly while you are prepping. Love it. It’s a bit scuffed up now after that #?of trips but no worse for wear. I especially like that it rolls up when no longer in use for easier storage.

I’ve also got a sea sucker rack which fits nicely in the case which means that you get get away with renting a smaller car at your destination As long as you don’t mind putting bike back together in car rental parking so that you can put on roof or rear of car.

As a cheaper alternative for dealing with how to transport the bike on rental at destination - just go buy 4x pool noodles and some rope. All can be stashed in bike bag at limited weight. Thread the rope through the pool noodles to make a larger donut and put that on the roof. Then just lay the bike bag on its side on the noodles and strap it down carefully. Plus the noodles help protect the bike in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pierre; 06-16-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:13 AM
aka RAEKWON

Ended up getting the Post Carry. Should arrive on Friday. Had a code so got free shipping. $100 less than the Ninja. We will see how it holds up.

@flashUNC, did you travel with carbon wheels? I only have 1 set of disc wheels and they are fancy (not super fancy but fancy for me) carbon wheels and wondering how the post does with wheels. Wheels are usually the thing I worry about the most, they are awekwardly shapped and hold tension, ect... how did the wheels do on your trip? I was thinking about buying a cheap set of alloy wheels (which is funny because I sold a set here to hilltopperny and I should have just kept those around) but then again, its not like carbon is really weaker than steel wheels. I would really like the ritchey wheels where I can remove the freehub with cassette but not in the budget right now.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Ended up getting the Post Carry. Should arrive on Friday. Had a code so got free shipping. $100 less than the Ninja. We will see how it holds up.
I too am in the market for a travel bag and the Post Carry looks like a good candidate. What tipped the scales for you?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:36 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
I too am in the market for a travel bag and the Post Carry looks like a good candidate. What tipped the scales for you?
After watching a bunch of videos and talking to a few people I just decided that I like the design better on post.

Pros -

Easier to pack
Comes with frame and crank protectors
I like the wheel bag protectors
Wheels
Packs up small when not in use
$100 cheaper than ninja

Cons -

A bit bigger than the ninja

If the ninja was at 62in and the post wasnt I may still have gone with the ninja but at the end of the day, they are both oversize cases so even though I think the ninja would probably pass through more than the post, that comes at a price which is hard to pack and things being really tight in there. I talked to someone here (Eli, forget his handle) and he said his 56cm bike is a tight fit on the ninja.. Well my bikes are all bigger than that and they have a longer HT too and I don't want to be wrestling with the case. That and I know if I have trouble packing it, so will TSA, the TSA will just shove whatever in the bag and not care. The post is a bit larger (I got the 150L one) and so will be easier to pack. If I get to pay the fees so be it, but to know my bike will be a bit safer in the hands of the TSA I am ok with that. At the same time the post has flown many times for free according to a lot of people, so if mine does, it will be a treat. Also will start to try to fly on companies that charge less for bikes. Unfortunately my next trip is united which means I will probably get nabbed with $150 each way bs fee.

I had a S S bike and had a ritchey case. The ritchey case is slightly bigger than an S S case and it was easy to pack... was still tight so I cannot even imagine how people pack bigger bikes on S S cases. The ritchey was soft case, again, I dunno how people pack stuff on those tiny hard S S cases so I wanted a soft case. The ritchey also had wheels which to me is a necessity. I DONT want to carry my bike as a backpack for more than 5 minutes. I like that the post has both options. The ninja doesnt which is a bummer.

I know that Orucase is releasing the B2 which will probably be awesome and maybe I should have waited for that. But rumous are it will cost $550-$650. I also messaged them about (was on instagram but still) and they never messaged me back so kind of made me not want to wait for it and just go post.

Sorry if I am rambling now. I will know how good this thing is after I travel with it.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I will know how good this thing is after I travel with it.
Your audience will be waiting!

Good synopsis and points well taken. I too thought about an SS or a Ritchey, and may still go that way, but I'm already over the N+1 limit . Thanks for the details.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:31 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
Your audience will be waiting!

Good synopsis and points well taken. I too thought about an SS or a Ritchey, and may still go that way, but I'm already over the N+1 limit . Thanks for the details.
The SS bike was great but I just could not justify having a bike just to travel and although that bike rode awesome, I prefer all my non SS bikes... Not to mention this way I can take any of my 4 bikes travelling which is pretty sweet.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:51 AM

I ordered the Post 135 for use in Europe. No bag fee. Pretty easy to pack, just have to be patient with the wheels. Protected the bike well. The side has a small tear from the axle, but a piece of duct tape on the interior addressed that issue. It packs down well and Post encourages you to keep the box to store it while not in use. I would recommend.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:

@flashUNC, did you travel with carbon wheels? I only have 1 set of disc wheels and they are fancy (not super fancy but fancy for me) carbon wheels and wondering how the post does with wheels. Wheels are usually the thing I worry about the most, they are awekwardly shapped and hold tension, ect... how did the wheels do on your trip? I was thinking about buying a cheap set of alloy wheels (which is funny because I sold a set here to hilltopperny and I should have just kept those around) but then again, its not like carbon is really weaker than steel wheels. I would really like the ritchey wheels where I can remove the freehub with cassette but not in the budget right now.
I had a set of Mavic Carbon Pro SLs and maybe one of two sets in the US in tubular, pulled from the Mavic Service Course that works with US domestic teams. This is the same wheels Mavic uses in their neutral support at Roubaix. Zero issues. And this set was true both before and after the Forest of Arenberg. And after a flight from California to France.

Also, side note, do not buy any "slightly used" Mavic Carbon tubulars from me. They have, in reality, been through the forest of Arenberg.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

That was a good reco FlashUNC, so thanks for that.

I am very happy with the Post Carry bag and very glad I went with this one over the Ninja. I just got back from 2 weeks in Portugal. Decided to take my Etap Cielo with me since my wife had to work for the first week and I could get some rides in. The case is absolutely amazing, I am beyond impressed and find it interesting that it costs $100 less than the ninja and 100s less than other bags. This damn bag is so well thought of and imo almost perfect.

I might have gotten lucky, was flying the infamous united and did not pay anything in bike fees. It could have been $200 each way. Was always asked if it was a bike and said it was exercise equipment. I hate lying but technically it is not a bike. Its a bike frame, 2 wheels, handlebars, derailleurs, ect. Nothing is connected really... ok, just the FD and crank :P

What I really liked about this guy was ease of use and pack. I over packed it, used also foam pipe insulation on all the tubes but I don't think it might be needed. The bikes goes in the bad so easily, packed the whole thing in less than an hour my first time. Without going crazy with the packing, can easily be packed in 20 minutes with the ETAP. The built in wheel bags inside are genius, the wheels are a MUST. I had a backpack with me with my clothes so I am not sure how people with the ninja are carrying a 40lb bag on their backs. But this also has straps. The extra pockets inside are a nice touch and just a TON of space for other stuff in there.

It sure is a bit big, I have the 150L so it will not fit through baggage so it will have to go through the oversize which could call some attention and get you a fee but the united check in people did not seem to care about size, only weight and that it was not a bike.

Highly recommend this bag. I still have to unpack it, just got home but it was fine the first flight and it is probably fine now as well.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:27 PM

Great to hear it worked well. I'm looking at trips I'd never considered before because of it.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:37 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Great to hear it worked well. I'm looking at trips I'd never considered before because of it.
Same here, I want to bring it on every trip. Its funny how it seems like its a big deal to remove the fork but I can pack this bag and bike way faster than my old S&S and I am actually afraid that TSA will open and not be able to put it back inside since its so easy and there is plenty of space/nothing gets crushed really.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:56 PM

Curious, of the various EVOC travel bag models are you using their regular or upgraded version with the integrated alum. dropout track? I've used my Pika a handful of times and it's always sufficed, though the potential for damage due to the soft sides is always a concern.

The polycarbonate edges along the Post Carry improves somewhat on the Pika, but I'd be interested to hear if the EVOC Travel Pro with the aluminum track represents a best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
I've been using an EVOC bag for about five years now, so 40+ trips with it and zero damage to any of the bikes in it thus far. I'd buy another or recommend it highly but I'm more concerned with protection for my vintage bikes than I am about lowering the cost of bringing one of them with me.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:47 AM

Mine is an older model without a dropout track. I do insert a plastic dropout protector at both ends when packing.

The EVOC has numerous stiff PVC inserts to protect the frame and wheels. I also use the road fork foam insert and the optional chainguard cover, less messy.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the discussion--that Post case looks great. I'm rethinking my obsession with getting an S&S bike.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:53 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Thanks for the discussion--that Post case looks great. I'm rethinking my obsession with getting an S&S bike.
Just unpacked and built the bike, so quick so easy. Not 1 scratch on the bike. I had that obsession too and if you travel all the tome maybe a consideration but for the 2/3 times a year I would take this bag over an SS bike anyday.