Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 05:57 AM
aka RAEKWON

Bike travel bags

I am looking for a bike bag so I can take my bike places. I had an SS bike but sold it, I just did not need another bike and just do not travel that much to have a dedicated travel bike.

So I have been looking for bags to take on an upcoming trip. Was pretty set on the Orucase Ninja, or their newer model the Orucase B2 which has not been released yet.

However after a bit of searching I came across this - https://postcarry.co/

The post carry bag its cheaper and just looks much better. It seems like an awesome bag. The downside is that it looks kind of big which could present a bigger problem trying to sneak the bike through as not a bike and not paying fees.

My thing is, I travel very little, once maybe twice a year, at a max 3 times a year so I am starting to think, I rather have an easier time packing the bike and having a bit more protection and just paying the fees (also I am hoping more companies start dropping these stupid fees).

I am flying united though which is $150/trip which is ridiculous. Of course there is a chance they will look the other way on the post case but that thing looks pretty damn big.

Anyone have the post case? Orucase? would love to hear about peoples experiences.

The cool thing about this over my SS bike is that I can take any of my bikes with me. My english and my Cielo have etap so I can almost really remove the whole group from the bike in minutes making things pack easy. My OPEN would be a bigger pain since its all internal routed mechanical but if needed I could also bring that.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:18 AM

I have the Post case. Did a great job getting my bike to France and back. I would recommend it. Didn't get charged going out, did get charged coming back. My guess is the ticket agents at De Gaulle see more bikes than the staff at Oakland International.

The biggest advantage I saw with the post case was the wheels. Helped give folks a natural orient to the bag, and so much easier to schlep around. A pal had the Pika Packworks case and while similar in size, he did have to drag it across the floor and wheels would have been handy. I did test the Post backpack function and it seemed to work okay, but does feels a bit like you're wearing wings.

Couple downsides: the pouch for tools and bits unzips the wrong way imo. And you are somewhat limited on tire sizes that you can fit in the wheel bags. I had 700x30 and I think that was about the limit. So if you've got a cross bike you're packing, this might not be the solution.

Great case and I'd recommend it.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:09 AM
aka RAEKWON

nice to have real world experiences. What size was yours? 135 or 150L?

My bike currently has 32mm tires. Does tire size really matter that much if you just reflate tires? They show in the video packing a bike with 650Bx47 (well I guess diameter is similar to a 28 700c).

I am considering this guy really and dealing with the fees, the bag just seems os much better than the ninja. I also do like the wheels. I had the ritchey case and the wheels were great, very easy to carry. I definitely would not like to just have shoulder straps. The new Orucase B2 has wheels and straps (seems kind of the answer to the post case from them but its a bit smaller, I think smaller than the ninja, also packs up but no release date and I heard will be probably $550).

Good to know your bike was totally fine from the trip, that is a nice bike too and etap too so would be a similar thing with me but I do have hydro brakes (luckily all external so I can easily remove brake hoses from the frame and fork.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:13 AM

I have used a SciCon AeroComfort, old version, and the latest 3.0 TSA version, super easy to pack (just remove wheels), well protected, and rolls easily. Depending on the airline, I've been lucky not to have crazy fees, or covered from my FF status, but I've never had any issues with damage our the frame coming loose.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
nice to have real world experiences. What size was yours? 135 or 150L?

My bike currently has 32mm tires. Does tire size really matter that much if you just reflate tires? They show in the video packing a bike with 650Bx47 (well I guess diameter is similar to a 28 700c).

I am considering this guy really and dealing with the fees, the bag just seems os much better than the ninja. I also do like the wheels. I had the ritchey case and the wheels were great, very easy to carry. I definitely would not like to just have shoulder straps. The new Orucase B2 has wheels and straps (seems kind of the answer to the post case from them but its a bit smaller, I think smaller than the ninja, also packs up but no release date and I heard will be probably $550).

Good to know your bike was totally fine from the trip, that is a nice bike too and etap too so would be a similar thing with me but I do have hydro brakes (luckily all external so I can easily remove brake hoses from the frame and fork.
150L. And it's a cozy fit for my 58-ish Pavaix. I'd imagine the 135L for 56 and below frames would be a great option.

On the tire question, yes, you're deflating them, but it is a snug fit regardless. Takes a bit of finesse to get the 700x30s in there. A true 32 would be fine I think, but anyone with dreams of a 700x40 or something will be disappointed.

One other thing, since there's not a dedicated fork "spot" in the bag, you have some flexibility in where you can fit it in. That might be easier with discs ironically, since I couldn't really remove my direct mount rim caliper.

Otherwise, lots of room for other bits, the flex straps that hold the case structure also double as mounting point for any accessories you want to bring along or have to pull.

All in all it's a pretty well thought out bag.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 AM

No feedback on this or similar but the Post looks great. I don't think I can justify the $ but I would love to have one of these in my closet for quicker work trips when the s&s process is a bit much. I have one of the massive Trico hard cases which is great for not requiring much disassembly at all, but is only really an option on the officially friendly to both oversize and overweight bike cases airlines like Alaska (or pay $$$), and it is so big it becomes an issue transporting it around on the ground.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:15 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
I have used a SciCon AeroComfort, old version, and the latest 3.0 TSA version, super easy to pack (just remove wheels), well protected, and rolls easily. Depending on the airline, I've been lucky not to have crazy fees, or covered from my FF status, but I've never had any issues with damage our the frame coming loose.

I looked into the scicon, and this other one that you don't even have to take the handlebars off (I think thats the TSA you mention). Seem nice but I feel like there is no way to avoid fees on some of those bags, they look like bike bags. Also a bit harder to transport and I will need to put the bag in cars, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
150L. And it's a cozy fit for my 58-ish Pavaix. I'd imagine the 135L for 56 and below frames would be a great option.

On the tire question, yes, you're deflating them, but it is a snug fit regardless. Takes a bit of finesse to get the 700x30s in there. A true 32 would be fine I think, but anyone with dreams of a 700x40 or something will be disappointed.

One other thing, since there's not a dedicated fork "spot" in the bag, you have some flexibility in where you can fit it in. That might be easier with discs ironically, since I couldn't really remove my direct mount rim caliper.

Otherwise, lots of room for other bits, the flex straps that hold the case structure also double as mounting point for any accessories you want to bring along or have to pull.

All in all it's a pretty well thought out bag.
That is exactly what I think, looks very well thought out. The ninja just looks like a bag that you shove your bike in. I like the wheel compartments on this and the wheels, and straps and how it can colapse and you can take it as a back pack, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
No feedback on this or similar but the Post looks great. I don't think I can justify the $ but I would love to have one of these in my closet for quicker work trips when the s&s process is a bit much. I have one of the massive Trico hard cases which is great for not requiring much disassembly at all, but is only really an option on the officially friendly to both oversize and overweight bike cases airlines like Alaska (or pay $$$), and it is so big it becomes an issue transporting it around on the ground.
yeah, its not cheap but also amongst the cheapest bags. $400 is ok. I did love the S&S system but it did take me a little bit to put together and take apart. I am not sure this will be much faster, well maybe because of the Etap but having to take the fork out adds some time and cumbersomeness to it.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:18 AM
tailgunning

73" won't get flagged if you have status, or if you check-in beforehand and just do bag drop-off.

i've used the gavilan for... 8 flights in the last year or so and never been charged (measures about 70" L+H+W).

nooch used it as well, i think with good outcome?
Old 06-13-2019, 09:24 AM
aka RAEKWON

I travel 2-3 times I year, I definitely do not have status and really, I hate flying so that will probably never happen.

Checking in before hand and dropping bag is a good idea... I will probably try to do that. But a lot of times I can't check in before hand because I constantly have passport/green card problems lol.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Administrator

that one does look very nice.

one big concern for me would be what does the bag/box condense down to when there is no bike in it?

two reasons:

1) i dont have a lot of room home to store the thing

2) when travelling, it might be a total hassle having a vehicle big enough to carry my bike and my bike box and other people/luggage - especially outside of the US where cars are generally more.....compact.

just something to consider.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:13 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

one big concern for me would be what does the bag/box condense down to when there is no bike in it?

two reasons:

2) when travelling, it might be a total hassle having a vehicle big enough to carry my bike and my bike box and other people/luggage - especially outside of the US where cars are generally more.....compact.

It does, it becomes less than half the size, you roll the bag into itself kind of thing and then can even carry it as a backpack (makes it even smaller than a S S case)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

two reasons:

Bag folds down to basically 1/3 it's size. The outer shell pads can all be removed and the structure folds down with straps so it could be carried and worn like a normal backpack. Space is a huge issue for me and this was a pretty big advantage over other cases, both hard and soft.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:29 AM
aka RAEKWON

think this thread needs some pics

Old 06-13-2019, 10:33 AM
Administrator

oh wow, that's cool.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:51 AM

I've been using an EVOC bag for about five years now, so 40+ trips with it and zero damage to any of the bikes in it thus far. Mostly ship it iin advance to our hotel and have it picked up at the hotel by the shipper afterwards, but have also taken it on flights. Shipping is cheaper but AmEx gives me back $200 in airline charges each year, so if I only fly with it once per year it costs me $100.

It has wheels so easy to move around, and once empty it collapses into itself, easy to stuff under a bed or in a closet.

However, it does require a midsize or larger vehicle for transport once packed. I'd buy another or recommend it highly but I'm more concerned with protection for my vintage bikes than I am about lowering the cost of bringing one of them with me.