Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2019, 09:27 PM

Titanium Hardtail MTB

I’m thinking about buying a custom titanium hardtail MTB. Is there anything inherently better or worse with the material for mountain bikes....
Old 06-01-2019, 09:35 PM

No paint to chip and no frame rust.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:37 PM

I don't know about a custom titanium hardtail bike.

But, I bought a custom titanium cross bike. I do not race it. But I love it. It rides great. Everything gets soaked up with no problems plus love the way it looks and rides. My vote is, if you can justify it, go get one and see for yourself.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:38 PM

simply put, no.
get the ti.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
I don't know about a custom titanium hardtail bike.

But, I bought a custom titanium cross bike. I do not race it. But I love it. It rides great. Everything gets soaked up with no problems plus love the way it looks and rides. My vote is, if you can justify it, go get one and see for yourself.
Why?
Old 06-01-2019, 09:46 PM

Mine is double butted. Made by Alliance. Had it set up rigid and it clocked it at 19ish lbs. Fantastic for soaking up bumps and hits. I wouldn't think of getting another frame material for dirt.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:28 PM

As long as you're not going for Lionel's geometry recommendations.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:36 PM

I love my Moots. A buddy just got a Bearclaw ti hardtail and he's very happy with it. I think it's probably the best material for an mtb. Go for it.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:56 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I dunno. I have a Lynskey hardtail and it builds out to around 22-23 pounds so - lightweight, no scratch finish, plenty stiff but not obnoxiously so. I had a Lynskey in the past that was one of the stiffest bikes I've been on - didn't like it, sold it and kept a Cielo 29er steel bike - really nice ride quality, which I eventually sold as it wasn't getting ridden (a bad habit I have with mtn. bikes).

Other than lighter weight and better wet weather durability, not sure it would give you anything you don't already have in your 44 (unless you're going for + size or something) particulalry in terms of ride quality.

Custom builder - Kris? - should be able to give you the ride you want.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:12 AM

I have a Form built Ti hardtail. One issue to consider on a Ti frame is rear tire clearance. I'm pretty limited to 2.25 Ardents but many other 2.2 tires do not clear the chain stays. I still really like the ride but my buddies who ride carbon have skinnier stays and more clearance.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:26 AM

I have ridden a carbon specialized stumpjumper hardtail. I have ridden a steel Spot hardtail. I have ridden an alloy Cannondale hardtail.
And I have ridden a ti Moots and a ti Blacksheep hardtail.

There are those that will tell you that for mtb bikes, the material does not make a difference. That since the tires are so "fat", one really cannot experience titanium's inherent and legendary ride qualities. That the "fat" mtb tires mute the ride qualities of the frame.

In my experience I have found that not to be true. I loved my ti hardtails. Despite the 2.25 to 2.4 width tires I put on them, I would like to believe that I could still feel titanium's ride qualities.

The carbon felt stiff and the alloy felt jarring while the steel felt a bit "sluggish". But my ti hardtails, ahhhh....the ride was unmistakably titanium. You own a ti mosaic. you know what i am talking about.

just get a ti hardtail. i would choose 44, or built, or firefly, or strong.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:51 AM

If you paint it pink you'll have to remind/tell everyone you come across it's made out of titanium.

I'd build it as a rigid 29'r going "reasonably" lightweight. It would be a nice companion to the 44 assuming you would keep it.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I’m thinking about buying a custom titanium hardtail MTB. Is there anything inherently better or worse with the material for mountain bikes....
Titanium much better crash worthiness, if ya throw it into a rock garden, compared to plastic. Never rusts, lasts forever if made well. Can be pricey..and if it's a chinese/russian made one, for less $, may not be as durable.

http://www.habcycles.com/mtb.html
Old 06-02-2019, 07:05 AM

Change is nice, but I don't think it would be a significant improvement over what you have. A bit lighter, and rust proof. Scratch resistant if you don't paint it. IMHO, your 44 is near perfection as far as hardtails go.

(My ti experience: I race a modern ti cx bike, and had a ti hardtail. Ti can be as racy as top-end carbon - torsionally stiff, etc, but not as light.)

FWIW, my recent mtb upgrade was to a modern xc fs race bike (this one): low and slack, 120mm front and back. That thing is fast and perfect for long days.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:35 AM

Yes, do it.